• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beandon Mebane Retires

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announced on facebook yesterday. He was very good for Seattle for a long time. Hope him the best in whatever comes next in his life.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy retirement big guy!

tenor.gif

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very underrated player, was a big time space eater run stuffing DT. Sure not big numbers but he was doing big time work. We got to see what happens when he wasn't doubled enough to know that he would always be doubled lmao if you know what i mean.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think he was still playin' for the Chargers?

I liked Brandon Mebane. I originally wanted us to draft him way back when so naturally I was excited when we did.

He was never a game changer, but just a good solid DT that was never really a weak point on the line. Just a good overall player. Too bad he never did live up to his 2nd season as I recall he was fairly dominant. I remember thinking, "OMG we got an all pro steal!" but he just kind of turned into an above average and serviceable DT, which is not really EASY to find by any stretch these days.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't Cortez but in the pantheon of Seahawk DTs he ranks somewhere behind the aforementioned Kennedy, and Joe Nash. He compares respectively with Sam Adams and John Randle imo but that is based more on his longevity with the team. You can probably throw Rocky Bernard into the mix, as well as Michael Bennett and Jeff Bryant who both were hybrid DE/DT. I think Jarran Reed is in the conversation now also.

Who else? Am I forgetting anyone?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mebane was not a "pass rusher" he was a run stuffing DT that ate up double teams. That was his job and if teams didn't double team him he ate up RB for TFL. Good to great strength and allowed zero push up the middle and set an anchor. His presence did not allow teams to have room in the middle to step up or run there to often. The only reason the Hawks moved on from him was his slight decline and age. He was still doing "his job" and did so for many more years. HOF? No he wasn't that kind of player he was a lunch pail and hard hat guy. He didn't put up stats but he put in the work and was a "huge" ( lol ) cog of a good defense.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mebane was not a "pass rusher" he was a run stuffing DT that ate up double teams. That was his job and if teams didn't double team him he ate up RB for TFL. Good to great strength and allowed zero push up the middle and set an anchor. His presence did not allow teams to have room in the middle to step up or run there to often. The only reason the Hawks moved on from him was his slight decline and age. He was still doing "his job" and did so for many more years. HOF? No he wasn't that kind of player he was a lunch pail and hard hat guy. He didn't put up stats but he put in the work and was a "huge" ( lol ) cog of a good defense.
Exactly, and guys like that are such important cogs to a great defense. When you can absolutely stuff the ground game with your base d linemen it allows the rest to feast on everything else. It's suffocating and demoralizing. It's the kind of guy I'd like to see Poona become, or what I hoped Snacks would be for us.