• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bay Bridge World Series...It could happen

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants and the A's got it going right now. Bay Area baseball ...How do you like us now ! ?

I grew up not liking the A's much but it's hard not to like what those guys are doing over there. They play tough baseball and always play loose. I like what Beane and Melvin (former Giant) have done especially with a low payroll. You have to respect that.

When was he last time the Giants led the NL in run differential ? Right now they are a + 48 , the closest team to them is Colorado at +34 and they play in a launching pad.

The A's are blowing away everyone in RD with a + 100 even after losing two of their top pitching starters. Melvin and Beane have done it again. It does start at the top.

The Giants as of today in May are ten over .500 at 18-8 with Bum going tonight. They are the hottest team n the NL.

The Giants and the A's have a flare for the dramatic with their clutch hitting.

Up and down each line up these teams can beat you.

The only difference is really that the Giants bullpen has been extra special and dominant which has lifted their record to a MLB high 35-19 record.

Don't be surprised at the end of the year when all the dust settles that the Giants and A's play for the whole tamale. I know it's still early but it's never to soon to dream about this match up . After all I am a dreamer. It sure would be great for both cities.

Bay Area Baseball...How do you like us now ! ? I kind of like it.

Go A's...Go Giants !!

Giants beat A's in the World Series....Sounds good to me. Let the dreaming begin !

:suds::clap:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winner gets the tv rights to san jose once and for alll.....

Do everyone a favor, most of all yourselves, and move your team to San Antonio. We'll pay for the moving vans.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winner gets the tv rights to san jose once and for alll.....

Never mind the fact that the Giants currently own the area and have invested millions of dollars and even more sweat into cultivating the area for the last 20 years.

Granted, the A's were neighborly in giving up any claim to the territory in '93. But the Giants stayed BECAUSE of San Jose and have built the market up since. No way they will, or should, give up the territory.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, how have they "built up" the market in and around San Jose? The only thing I can think of is the "Giants Dugout" store in Santa Clara.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, how have they "built up" the market in and around San Jose? The only thing I can think of is the "Giants Dugout" store in Santa Clara.

Corporate relationships and sponsorships. It's actually a HUGE deal for the bottom line.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corporate relationships and sponsorships. It's actually a HUGE deal for the bottom line.

This.

The San Jose/Santa Clara market was mined quite intensively when they were building AT&T. A good portion of the funding for the park came from expected suite sales (maybe promised, not sure) from Silicon Valley.

The southern market was not tapped pre-'93. If the Giants did not have that market as one of their assets, they likely would have completed the move to TB as the McGowan group would not have been able to step in. Since they were able to count on the area as "theirs", they were able to make other moves and decisions taking advantage of the area.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why I think instead of litigating and cannibalizing each other, it would be in both parties' best interests for the A's to move out of the Bay Area. Portland, Vancouver, San Antonio, Nashville, OK City, Charlotte (they just built a new downtown stadium for their AAA team) - there are several cities where I would have to believe they would do better financially. The Giants could, and should, kick in a substantial amount that reduced to zero within, say, 10 years. Win-win.

I only want a 1% commission on the combined value of the A's and the Giants. That's all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think instead of litigating and cannibalizing each other, it would be in both parties' best interests for the A's to move out of the Bay Area. Portland, Vancouver, San Antonio, Nashville, OK City, Charlotte (they just built a new downtown stadium for their AAA team) - there are several cities where I would have to believe they would do better financially. The Giants could, and should, kick in a substantial amount that reduced to zero within, say, 10 years. Win-win.

I only want a 1% commission on the combined value of the A's and the Giants. That's all.

Pre-Clippers deal, or post?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question...

As Giants fans, would we REALLY want the A's to leave the area? Are they currently enough of a competitor that they drive the Giants to succeed? Would the G's continue to be as successful without another MLB team in their backyard?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question...

As Giants fans, would we REALLY want the A's to leave the area? Are they currently enough of a competitor that they drive the Giants to succeed? Would the G's continue to be as successful without another MLB team in their backyard?

Any business wants LESS competition, not more. That's what expanded government is all about. Sweetheart deals and increased regulation of competitors.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep- lots of signs for companies based in the South Bay... Intel, Adobe, etc.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK - I agree. I just don't call that "building up" - that's marketing and common sense (in my book).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - I agree. I just don't call that "building up" - that's marketing and common sense (in my book).

But the Giants have fostered those relationships and have grown to depend on that business. If the A's were to move down there, or get the territorial rights to the area, the Giants would no longer have that business that they cultivated.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any business wants LESS competition, not more. That's what expanded government is all about. Sweetheart deals and increased regulation of competitors.

I understand that.

That is why I asked would we, as fans, prefer to have the A's in the area or not. Is the presence of the A's enough of a competitive pressure on the Giants to continue to put a good product on the field? Will the loss of the A's remove the necessity of the Giants to be competitive on the field?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question...

YES.

If we are going to play the Red Sox to the doyers Yankees, we need exclusive control of the area as Boston has.