• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bates & The AFC

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think with all the latest FA signings, and pending massive Burrow contract upcoming that we may have lost out on Bates for next year? I would really like to keep him. Great player, good leader. However, with the way contracts have gone nuts, we may have missed the boat on Bates, because a $17.5 million dollar deal right now for Bates which would have made him tied for the highest paid safety in the NFL, is beginning to look like a deal. Now, I am sure the asking price is starting to soar.

Has the Jessie Bates ship sailed for 2023 already?

Also, the competition in the AFC this year is bonkers. Every game is going to be like a playoff game. It is quite the gauntlet. Any team that makes it out of the AFC and into the SB deservs to be Champions. The AFC is like the SEC, and the NFC is like the Mountain West. It is going to be quite the entertaining year of football. I think each game is going to be so close, so evenly matched that it will be impossible to bet on games in the AFC this year. Only ones I would even consider betting on would be AFC teams versus most NFC teams.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think with all the latest FA signings, and pending massive Burrow contract upcoming that we may have lost out on Bates for next year? I would really like to keep him. Great player, good leader. However, with the way contracts have gone nuts, we may have missed the boat on Bates, because a $17.5 million dollar deal right now for Bates which would have made him tied for the highest paid safety in the NFL, is beginning to look like a deal. Now, I am sure the asking price is starting to soar.

Has the Jessie Bates ship sailed for 2023 already?

Also, the competition in the AFC this year is bonkers. Every game is going to be like a playoff game. It is quite the gauntlet. Any team that makes it out of the AFC and into the SB deservs to be Champions. The AFC is like the SEC, and the NFC is like the Mountain West. It is going to be quite the entertaining year of football. I think each game is going to be so close, so evenly matched that it will be impossible to bet on games in the AFC this year. Only ones I would even consider betting on would be AFC teams versus most NFC teams.
I don't know.... It seems to me that the only defensive position that is going to get big money on the market is D-tackle or Edge - Guys that rush the passer. JC Jackson got a good deal for a corner, but otherwise, corners haven't done great on the market. I wonder how much teams are will ing to invest in their secondaries. I don't think the recent track record of paying top dollar for safeties in FA has necessarily translated on the field. The best case I can remember was Fitzpatrick for Pittsburgh, but that was a trade, not FA. We got a good deal with Von Bell, but that certainly wasn't a big ticket item.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking prices are going up because everyone knows the cap is going to explode over the next 3 years. In terms of cap %, I'm going to guess it stay relatively the same.

Also, outside of a few, look at the years and the actual guaranteed money, not the full contract. I'd be willing to bet that those with guarantees that are less than the total contract rarely see the end of that deal. When you look at Adam's WR contract, it basically can come down to a 2 year 22 (or something) Million dollar deal if it is voided, IIRC.

Regardless - point stands - don't look at the numbers being thrown out. Look at the years/guaranteed money/and the void out years because, like I said, I don't think that the majority of those big contracts ever actually see the final years to bring it up to what that full value is.