• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Basketball Hall Of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am watching it on the DVR

Payton is up.

He had George Gervin and John Stockton induct him into the HOF.

He chose Gervin, because Gervin was his hero growing up. He said he's sneak into the Oakland Colliseum to watch him play.

Now, as to why he chose Stockton:

Payton: "Everyone has been giving me flack as to why I said Stockton was the hardest person I had to guard, more than Jordan.

First of all, it's my opinion, and that's the way it's going to be."

[Delayed crowd laughter]

"Second, he's a player all kids should watch right now. He played hard every night. He'd shoot the ball 12 times, and make 9 or 10 shots. He'd get to the free throw line 8 times, and make 7. He'd have 15 assists, and 4 steals. That's the reason why he's the hardest person I had to guard, and why I respect him very much."

. . .

(to his parents, Annie and Alfred Payton): "I'm more proud of you, than you can ever be of me."

. . .

(after thanking his siblings): "If you want to know where I get my personality from, just stop any of my siblings in the lobby, and it will become very clear. (Smiles.)

. . .

(after thanking his kids): "Raquel, Gary Jr., and Gary the 2nd. . . . Yeah, I had a George Foreman moment." (Crowd laughs at his kids' names.)

FYI, on Foreman: (His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey"). The two daughters from his marriage are Natalia and Leola; his three daughters from a separate relationship are Michi, Freeda, and Georgetta)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm a little surprised Payton didn't thank Shaq. He named a lot of coaches, trainers, players, Nike, Phil Knight, the Ackerly Family, Pat Riley and Micky Arison. I just thought since he mentioned the Heat organization and Riley and Arison, he'd also mention Shaq, especially since he played with him twice.

Hmm, I take it back. While he thanked a lot of PEOPLE, only 2 of them were players: Kemp, and McMillan.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oscar Schmidt is up.

"It's too easy to have Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, as your idol. They can run and jump and fly around.

My guy, can't run. He can't jump. And still, he plays the best of everyone else." (Points to LARRY BIRD). (Crowd laughs).

. . .

He says he never played in the NBA, because:

1) The Nets drafted him in the 6th round, 147th overall (insulting).
2) They only offered him a no-cut contract. (Pay was probably poor).
3) As per the rules at that time (1984), if he played 1 game in the NBA, he could never play for the national team again.

He also talked about beating Team USA in the Pan-American games, in Indianapolis, in 1987.

When he was thanking his coaches, for one of them, he said the coach was so good, that "if he came to the Wizards, they win." [Crowd laughs]

+++++++++++++++++++

Pitino, on meeting some former players yesterday:

(His player): You know what we called you, right? Pop.

Pitino: I'm touched. I didn't know I had that kind of effect.

Player: Prisoners Of Pitino.

. . .

Pitino, on his time with the Celtics: "I learned more from them than I gave back."

He then told of a time he called Red Auerbach, and said "Red, it's not going well. Got any advice?"

Red: "I know you worked under Hubie, and Hubie always diagrammed everything, pushing those pieces around.

But you know what I did? I asked Bill, what should I do? John, what play should I run? And I listened to them."

Pitino then told of a game against the Bulls, when he was down by 1. During a timeout, he asked his 3 former Kentucky players: "Ron (Mercer), what should I do? (Silence).

Walter (McCarty), what should I do? (Blank stare). Antione (Walker), you're the captain. What should I do?"

Walker: "How the hell should I know? We're the players, you get paid to coach."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad Tark finally got in. Death to the NCAA!

Yeah it was a nice moment to see. He had a great, proud smile.

What are your issues with the NCAA? (I have my issues with it, but would like to hear yours.)