• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Baseball is a dying sport"

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notsomuch

As for baseball’s P&L statement, by our count, the 30 MLB teams generated record average operating income (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of $40 million during the 2018 season, 38% more than the previous year. Last season revenue increased 4.8%, to an average of $330 million per team, while player costs (including signing bonuses and benefits) remained flat at $157 million.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't like the pace of play then don't watch... Simple as that. Especially when you pay almost $150 with ticket and food to watch a game... I want my time there and not only to sit in the stands for 90 minutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m enjoying this season more than ever.

The fact the Mariners have the best record in the league might have something to do with that but still...

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about baseball is playing it. I played 25 years in the corporate beer leagues and had the time of my life. Couldn't watch a game on the tube unless it was the playoffs.

Reactions: GNG

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that says baseball is dying or that baseball is boring, I just assume they're stupid and not worth my time.
What if they say Softball is more exciting!

Dont @me!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that says baseball is dying or that baseball is boring, I just assume they're stupid and not worth my time.
It is dying.

Less and less kids play. Less and less kids watch. The average TV viewer is something like 57. And the commish is hellbent on alienating the core fans.

Baltimore had its smallest crowd ever on Monday. Tigers had 12 K today. I went to Opening Day for the Rays, they didn't even sell seats in the upper deck.

No sense in denying reality.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is dying.

Less and less kids play. Less and less kids watch. The average TV viewer is something like 57. And the commish is hellbent on alienating the core fans.

Baltimore had its smallest crowd ever on Monday. Tigers had 12 K today. I went to Opening Day for the Rays, they didn't even sell seats in the upper deck.

No sense in denying reality.
Pointing out individual game attendance is clearly more significant than pointing out that mlb teams are getting more lucrative by the year obviously.

There are less kids playing basically every sport.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pointing out individual game attendance is clearly more significant than pointing out that mlb teams are getting more lucrative by the year obviously.

There are less kids playing basically every sport.
Less kids is a sign of dying.

Football and baseball have this issue. Basketball doesn't, because it isn't dying.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't less kids playing soccer, lacrosse or video games.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Football and baseball have this issue. Basketball doesn't, because it isn't dying.
The two that have the most fans and make the most money are dying because you say so. Alright.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two that have the most fans and make the most money are dying because you say so. Alright.
You can deny reality if it makes you feel safe and comfortable. Doesn't matter to me.

Baseball definitely does not have the second most fans in America anymore. It is at its lowest point ever as far as number of fans. Mostly because it's dying.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NBA basketball is the least watchable sport on the planet, I would rather watch Pakistan vs Madagascar in a lawn bowling match than watch a single minute of an NBA game, less kids watching baseball doesn't mean it's dying, with video games being so popular I would imagine kids are watching less of every sport, basketball remains relevant because you can have an IQ of 12 and still play it and all it takes is one ball and anything you can throw shit into, pretty much the same reason soccer remains so popular.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA basketball is the least watchable sport on the planet, I would rather watch Pakistan vs Madagascar in a lawn bowling match than watch a single minute of an NBA game, less kids watching baseball doesn't mean it's dying, with video games being so popular I would imagine kids are watching less of every sport, basketball remains relevant because you can have an IQ of 12 and still play it and all it takes in one ball, pretty much the same reason soccer remains so popular.
Basketball overtook baseball a while ago.

It is on its upswing with or without you watching. Baseball is on the opposite of an upswing.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can deny reality if it makes you feel safe and comfortable. Doesn't matter to me.

Baseball definitely does not have the second most fans in America anymore. It is at its lowest point ever as far as number of fans. Mostly because it's dying.
MLB is safely in the distant number two spot. Nfl is a dynamo of its own. I'm not sure what you're referring to as another possible number two unless you mean college football. I was talking pro sports though. Mlb continues to gain revenue and that's supported both by raw numbers and by the huge contracts given out. I'm not sure why you want to pretend that is dying but whatever makes you happy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is safely in the distant number two spot. Nfl is a dynamo of its own. I'm not sure what you're referring to as another possible number two unless you mean college football. I was talking pro sports though.
Okay...

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't less kids playing soccer, lacrosse or video games.

lacrosse? and just how many kids have been playing lacrosse to begin with?

not that many, that's how many.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA basketball is the least watchable sport on the planet, I would rather watch Pakistan vs Madagascar in a lawn bowling match than watch a single minute of an NBA game, less kids watching baseball doesn't mean it's dying, with video games being so popular I would imagine kids are watching less of every sport, basketball remains relevant because you can have an IQ of 12 and still play it and all it takes is one ball and anything you can throw shit into, pretty much the same reason soccer remains so popular.

lol takes the iq of 12 to basketball, huh?

anyway, moving onto to folks who might have a clue as to what the fuck they're talking about .. .