• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad Day for Big Ten

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll just have to disagree then because I don't think the B1G was near as good as it was getting hyped early. And not near as fatal as you portray it is now. Example. Appy State, Utah State and BYU could end up being good this year and those games won't look nearly as bad at the end of the year if that happens.

Isn't App St still an FCS school? (I can't remember if they came up)

BYU has already lost to Cal.

Utah State will likely not play another ranked team outside of Boise St...so how will we actually know how good they are?

And there is Troy (although they seem to be world beaters the past two years0

Bottom line is that it is very wishful thinking that any of those teams are going to prove to be quality losses/wins for the B10. The only positive note is that all these bad games, and losses are happening in September as opposed to November.

So maybe things aren't as bad as they appear. I like your optimism.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the B10 has just about disqualified itself from having multiple teams in the playoffs. These are the only scenarios I see left for them getting two teams:

1) OSU or PSU go undefeated, and the loser of their game only has one loss...and it needs to be a close game
2) PSU/OSU's only loss is to Michigan and Michigan wins all the rest of their games. Notre Dame would likely need to be a top 10 team at seasons end...although they ND couldn't be a playoff team (they would get in before Michigan with the same record IMO)
3) PSU/OSU's only loss is to MSU and MSU doesn't lose another game. MSU would likely need Arizona St to win the Pac 12 and be a top 15 team, to even have a shot
4) There could be some path for Wisconsin and another B10 team to sneak in, but I just don't see it being possible without knocking someone out of the playoffs from the East in CCG.

Bottom line is that I don't see anyone getting to the playoffs in the B10 except Ohio State. What a quick change from the preseason polling.
2 teams is about no shot. Really the best shot is for 12-0 Iowa vs 12-0 OSU and then hope for chaos elsewhere.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm not making a case for two B10 playoff teams, but I don't agree with you that it was never a "realistic possibility". I think at the beginning of this year was the most realistic possibility of getting two teams in the playoffs for the B10...the most realistic season since the beginning of the playoffs IMO.

Now it would take a miracle for the B10 to get two teams in.
I don't think anyone in the B1G outside of Ohio State needs to be thinking about the playoff right now. Penn State is lucky to be unbeaten and still has started the last two weeks sluggish before pulling away. The rest need to really get their shit together.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 teams is about no shot. Really the best shot is for 12-0 Iowa vs 12-0 OSU and then hope for chaos elsewhere.

I'm sorry, I didn't even think of Iowa. They definitely still have a shot, although they will be playing a pretty angry Wisconsin next.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone in the B1G outside of Ohio State needs to be thinking about the playoff right now. Penn State is lucky to be unbeaten and still has started the last two weeks sluggish before pulling away. The rest need to really get their shit together.

I wouldn't disqualify Iowa. Although, I haven't watched them at all this year.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G sucks. It happens every year. They suck OOC, the year goes on and a few teams get wins over the trash teams, then they shit during bowls and their fans claim the bowls are stacked against them. Ayeeooooo
Check your facts.
Bowls last year:
Big Ten Conference

Record: 7-1

Wins: Iowa, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Losses: Michigan

Atlantic Coast Conference

Record: 4-6

Wins: Duke, Florida State, Wake Forest, N.C. State
Losses: Boston College, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami (Fla.), Clemson

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, I didn't even think of Iowa. They definitely still have a shot.
If they can beat Wisky in IC this week they'll be favorites in every game the rest of the way save at PSU. So it's a long shot but probably the leagues only real shot to get 2

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check your facts.
Bowls last year:
Big Ten Conference

Wins: Iowa, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Losses: Boston College, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami (Fla.), Clemson
Now those were some impressive wins against unranked teams for the ACC. Still funny that people think they're the 2nd best conference. This hokie fan is one of the most uninformed, to boot.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't disqualify Iowa. Although, I haven't watched them at all this year.
Our season is going to come down to Stanley. If he plays well they can beat anyone. DL is nasty and secondary is lock down. OL is great per usual and the backs and TEs arr really good. Stanley is the wild card. He can be great but he can also be very average

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can beat Wisky in IC this week they'll be favorites in every game the rest of the way save at PSU. So it's a long shot but probably the leagues only real shot to get 2

I think the only realistic shot of a conference getting two teams in the playoffs, is if the two teams are on the same side of their conference (although Alabama and Georgia proved that wrong last year). If they only lose one game, at least a few weeks before the end of the season, and the team they lost to wins the conference and is undefeated, then I can see the conference getting two teams.

If two undefeated teams meet in the CCG, I think the loss is often too late in the season for both teams to get a playoff birth. Now if there are a bunch of two loss teams at the top, then I think that would change the argument.

I thought the B10 stood a good chance of getting two teams this year with all the highly rated teams in the East. They just needed two teams from the East to have strong seasons (one team with one loss, and the other undefeated), and the undefeated team wins the CCG. I don't see it happening now.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only realistic shot of a conference getting two teams in the playoffs, is if the two teams are on the same side of their conference (although Alabama and Georgia proved that wrong last year). If they only lose one game, at least a few weeks before the end of the season, and the team they lost to wins the conference and is undefeated, then I can see the conference getting two teams.

If two undefeated teams meet in the CCG, I think the loss is often too late in the season for both teams to get a playoff birth. Now if there are a bunch of two loss teams at the top, then I think that would change the argument.

I thought the B10 stood a good chance of getting two teams this year with all the highly rated teams in the East. They just needed two teams from the East to have strong seasons (one team with one loss, and the other undefeated), and the undefeated team wins the CCG. I don't see it happening now.
I could see a scenario where a 11-1 Wisconsin beats a 12-0 OSU and both get in as well. Realistically though the SEC is the only league left who can get 2. With MSU and Movjohsn already having a loss it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to see 2 from the East going because none of their SoS will hold up. If OSU and PSU both win out other than their game vs each other the loser of that game wont have a win better than a 9-3 type team as MSU/Michigan/Wisvonsin would all have to suffer at least 2 more losses.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a scenario where a 11-1 Wisconsin beats a 12-0 OSU and both get in as well. Realistically though the SEC is the only league left who can get 2. With MSU and Movjohsn already having a loss it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to see 2 from the East going because none of their SoS will hold up. If OSU and PSU both win out other than their game vs each other the loser of that game wont have a win better than a 9-3 type team as MSU/Michigan/Wisvonsin would all have to suffer at least 2 more losses.

BYU would have to KILL the rest of the season, and I just don't see that happening. They already lost to Cal, so they couldn't lose another game.

Wisconsin losing at home to BYU has killed their season. I don't really see a chance of them recovering from such a bad loss at home. That is what makes college football great. One bad loss in September can end your playoff hopes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe how bad Movjohsn has looked this year

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Nebraska was going to be better this yr. Losing to Troy will never help anyone.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While your bucknuts look to be the best of the B1G, I ain't convinced they aren't going to fart, fumble and fall somewhere along the way. Still think they'll have a shot at the CFP even if they do so.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check your facts.
Bowls last year:
Big Ten Conference

Maybe you guys should keep doing what you did last year. Skip out on the Playoff to get better bowl matchups.

Let’s not forget 3-7 the year prior + getting shut out in the playoffs for the second straight year.

Also nice move not counting Clemson’s playoff win, but trying to count the loss.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you guys should keep doing what you did last year. Skip out on the Playoff to get better bowl matchups.

Let’s not forget 3-7 the year prior + getting shut out in the playoffs for the second straight year.

Also nice move not counting Clemson’s playoff win, but trying to count the loss.
Clemson won a playoff game last year?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, the ACC still faced more G5 teams than the B1G last year even with us not making the playoffs.

Secondly, Clemson didn't win a playoff game last year dumbass.