• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad Day for Big Ten

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is they aren't this year. Losing to EMU, Akron and Temple this year is embarrassing. I think Troy is an okay team so I'll let that slide somewhat. I guess I bought into the hype Because I thought the B1G would have a much better OOC.
Yep

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the B10 has just about disqualified itself from having multiple teams in the playoffs. These are the only scenarios I see left for them getting two teams:

1) OSU or PSU go undefeated, and the loser of their game only has one loss...and it needs to be a close game
2) PSU/OSU's only loss is to Michigan and Michigan wins all the rest of their games. Notre Dame would likely need to be a top 10 team at seasons end...although they ND couldn't be a playoff team (they would get in before Michigan with the same record IMO)
3) PSU/OSU's only loss is to MSU and MSU doesn't lose another game. MSU would likely need Arizona St to win the Pac 12 and be a top 15 team, to even have a shot
4) There could be some path for Wisconsin and another B10 team to sneak in, but I just don't see it being possible without knocking someone out of the playoffs from the East in CCG.

Bottom line is that I don't see anyone getting to the playoffs in the B10 except Ohio State. What a quick change from the preseason polling.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rundown you just did, you can do that with any conference. There's no conference out there that's filled with juggernauts. Basically all of them are half crap.
Not the B1G. It is 100% muderer's row. No cupcakes. Gordon Gee said so a few years ago.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the B10 has just about disqualified itself from having multiple teams in the playoffs. These are the only scenarios I see left for them getting two teams:

1) OSU or PSU go undefeated, and the loser of their game only has one loss...and it needs to be a close game
2) PSU/OSU's only loss is to Michigan and Michigan wins all the rest of their games. Notre Dame would likely need to be a top 10 team at seasons end...although they ND couldn't be a playoff team (they would get in before Michigan with the same record IMO)
3) PSU/OSU's only loss is to MSU and MSU doesn't lose another game. MSU would likely need Arizona St to win the Pac 12 and be a top 15 team, to even have a shot
4) There could be some path for Wisconsin and another B10 team to sneak in, but I just don't see it being possible without knocking someone out of the playoffs from the East in CCG.

Bottom line is that I don't see anyone getting to the playoffs in the B10 except Ohio State. What a quick change from the preseason polling.
The B1G isn't getting multiple teams, no chance. I don't think that was ever a realistic possibility.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G isn't getting multiple teams, no chance. I don't think that was ever a realistic possibility.

With 5 teams in the preseason top 15, I think most college football analysts would have disagree with you in late August.

I do agree now that they have next to zero chance. I was simply stating the ONLY outside chance they could have. It would take a perfect storm to get two teams in now.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a quick change from the preseason polling.
The B1G wasn't as good as portrayed at the beginning and isn't as bad as portrayed now. Just had a shitty weekend. Even if they'd have won all the games this weekend, they wouldn't be as good as they were hyped. Same for losing the games this weekend. They ain't that bad either.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G wasn't as good as portrayed at the beginning and isn't as bad as portrayed now. Just had a shitty weekend. Even if they'd have won all the games this weekend, they wouldn't be as good as they were hyped. Same for losing the games this weekend. They ain't that bad either.

I disagree. They are bad. Michigan hasn't looked good at all. MSU had a rough time beating Utah St, and lost to a middle of the P12 pack at best (IMO) Arizona St team. Nebraska lost a bad game, and Wisconsin should have decimated BYU. PSU barely survived App St, but remains undefeated.

The B10 is in shambles right now, and they don't have any big OOC games left to prove they are better than what they have looked like the past 3 weeks. It's a disaster for all teams not named Ohio State, and I don't see how they recover. They were all overrated (again except OSU).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was. But Gordon Gee did say that.

Gordon Gee said many dumb things while he was Prez-O-Dent of Ohio State. Looking back @ some of the things he did I now think he bow ties were a little too tight.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. They are bad. Michigan hasn't looked good at all. MSU had a rough time beating Utah St, and lost to a middle of the P12 pack at best (IMO) Arizona St team. Nebraska lost a bad game, and Wisconsin should have decimated BYU. PSU barely survived App St, but remains undefeated.

The B10 is in shambles right now, and they don't have any big OOC games left to prove they are better than what they have looked like the past 3 weeks. It's a disaster for all teams not named Ohio State, and I don't see how they recover. They were all overrated (again except OSU).

meeeechegan looks just fine to me. Dammit, wrong thread.:heh:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 5 teams in the preseason top 15, I think most college football analysts would have disagree with you in late August.

I do agree now that they have next to zero chance. I was simply stating the ONLY outside chance they could have. It would take a perfect storm to get two teams in now.
There was already a really slim chance of that happening because everyone was facing everyone. Wisconsin gets PSU and michigan and then the B1G CCG team, and obviously the other top 15 B1G teams all face each other. OSU/PSU would've maybe been considered, but PSU would've had to look absolutely dominant outside of the OSU game.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was already a really slim chance of that happening because everyone was facing everyone. Wisconsin gets PSU and michigan and then the B1G CCG team, and obviously the other top 15 B1G teams all face each other. OSU/PSU would've maybe been considered, but PSU would've had to look absolutely dominant outside of the OSU game.

But the same could have been said of UGA and Alabama last year, couldn't it?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the same could have been said of UGA and Alabama last year, couldn't it?
No, because they didn't have 5 teams in the top 15 all facing off. It helped that Bama looked dominant all year long except for the one loss to Auburn, so they got the benefit of the doubt, then UGA made it in as the 1-loss conference champ. If PSU goes impressively unbeaten and narrowly beats OSU, and OSU dominates all their other games while TCU looks strong all year in the Big 12, it could happen, but that's a very slim chance.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get exactly what you are saying and agree with most of it. But it’s a whole different feeling knowing you are in the East and have 3 or 4 Of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State yearly. That in itself is absolutely no cake walk no matter what. Add in a nearly 50% chance to play Wisconsin yearly too and that can be very tough.
OSU and Michigan should be so lucky as to play Wisky and avoid Iowa..... lol. Shut I think Iowa bas lost to Michigan once in like 12 years

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll just have to disagree then because I don't think the B1G was near as good as it was getting hyped early. And not near as fatal as you portray it is now. Example. Appy State, Utah State and BYU could end up being good this year and those games won't look nearly as bad at the end of the year if that happens.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is they aren't this year. Losing to EMU, Akron and Temple this year is embarrassing. I think Troy is an okay team so I'll let that slide somewhat. I guess I bought into the hype Because I thought the B1G would have a much better OOC.

Temple and E. Michigan are better than Troy.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because they didn't have 5 teams in the top 15 all facing off. It helped that Bama looked dominant all year long except for the one loss to Auburn, so they got the benefit of the doubt, then UGA made it in as the 1-loss conference champ. If PSU goes impressively unbeaten and narrowly beats OSU, and OSU dominates all their other games while TCU looks strong all year in the Big 12, it could happen, but that's a very slim chance.

Again, I'm not making a case for two B10 playoff teams, but I don't agree with you that it was never a "realistic possibility". I think at the beginning of this year was the most realistic possibility of getting two teams in the playoffs for the B10...the most realistic season since the beginning of the playoffs IMO.

Now it would take a miracle for the B10 to get two teams in.