• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they give Rypien a long look in preseason. It would save 5 or 6 million these days.

I wish the NFL had a Sring devlopment league that Rypien could be in.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien is a pretty good prospect - I get the impression the Broncos are hiding him from the league.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien is a pretty good prospect - I get the impression the Broncos are hiding him from the league.

Well CD said he looked hoard in practice so who knows.

The one game he did play in he was pretty darn good and won the game so time will tell

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one game he did play in he was pretty darn good and won the game so time will tell

There may be more than 1QB Mike Shula can work on.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind Rypien a whole lot. He was successful in college and I think can be a decent depth player in the NFL given some time.

I do have 3 issues though with his fit for the Broncos.

1) I have always been big on having a backup QB that has a similar skillset to the starter. That doesn't mean they are as good because the likelihood of that is just not possible. But you can find a QB that is say 75% of the starter and when they come in the offense doesn't have to change to fit the new QB. They can keep running the same plays. Rypien doesn't even come close to the same arm talent of Lock and I do think they would have to change up what they are doing.

2) As Scott said when you have a young QB you don't want other young QB's backing them up. You want a veteran in that room and obviously Flacco will not be that guy. So getting a guy like Chase Daniels would be a good fit.

3) I think that Rypien is limited to the point I just don't see him having a whole lot of trade value say the Broncos do keep him around hoping he can develop. For me if the Broncos are going young at QB then I want somebody with a little more upside that could impress teams and make them want to give up more than they should.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Rypien a whole lot. He was successful in college and I think can be a decent depth player in the NFL given some time.

I do have 3 issues though with his fit for the Broncos.

1) I have always been big on having a backup QB that has a similar skillset to the starter. That doesn't mean they are as good because the likelihood of that is just not possible. But you can find a QB that is say 75% of the starter and when they come in the offense doesn't have to change to fit the new QB. They can keep running the same plays. Rypien doesn't even come close to the same arm talent of Lock and I do think they would have to change up what they are doing.

2) As Scott said when you have a young QB you don't want other young QB's backing them up. You want a veteran in that room and obviously Flacco will not be that guy. So getting a guy like Chase Daniels would be a good fit.

3) I think that Rypien is limited to the point I just don't see him having a whole lot of trade value say the Broncos do keep him around hoping he can develop. For me if the Broncos are going young at QB then I want somebody with a little more upside that could impress teams and make them want to give up more than they should.

I would rather draft then retread. Cheaper.NE does this and they are fine!

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a very good point, NE has a viable system and they draft accordingly. They never seem to miss a beat.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think it’s too early to determine if Rypien or even Allen are not viable backup options. Allen did show some potential, then again we were comparing him to Flacco so it’s not like the bar was set all that high.

As for Rypien remember not a one of our QBs, Lock included, looked good in the preseason. And this year it’ll be a new system. Maybe the adjustment will be what makes the QB room click. My first hope is to see Lock pick it up and be able to assume the leadership role on offense.

Beyond that we need a guy who can keep the team afloat for a few weeks. If we lose Lock for the season we are likely hosed anyway. Stories like Foles and the Eagles are an exception, not the rule.

Best case scenario the only time we need this backup to play is week 17 when the Broncos are locked into a playoff seed.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^i agree add in a late draft pick QB and go with it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

New England had an established veteran in Brady though. Part of why you bring in a veteran to be behind a young QB isn't because you believe they will develop into anything but because they can actually work with the young QB and help bring them along of what it means to be a professional QB in the league. Most of them have seen the greats and what they did on a daily basis and can then pass that info on.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubby Brister went 4-0 in relief one the season - and in his case - it turned out the team won those games not the QB.

There are a few downsides to bringing in a veteran QB:

1) The Vet may consciously or unconsciously confuse the young QB from his QB coach.
2) The Vets that are available - are available because they aren't very good.
3) It's easier to get the same skill set in a backup if you are not necessarily looking for a vet.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we bring in a vet I hope they are someone that has experience in the Pat Shurmur offense. I think Case may be a guy that could be had for less then some may think and has been good in relief in the Shurmur offense. I don't think it will happen, but I think a guy like that could be good.