• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back to back WS appearances

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 1978, only Oakland (88-90), Atlanta (91-92 & 95-96), Toronto (92-93), New York Yankees (98-01), and Philadelphia (08-09) have appeared in back to back World Series

And of course the Rangers in 2010-2011

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course between 1960 and 1978 it happened EVERY single year, talk about a shift in competitive balance

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is pretty sweet,,,, i remember when they didnt pull the trigger on the halladay deal and i was pissed,,,i said if they are talking about 2010 being the year they better fucking make the play-offs and now we have been to 2 WS it is still hard to fathom after all the down years...jon d is the man and should never leave ;)...go rangers lets win it this time.....and start us a dynasty

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a second I thought you were a troll just trying to start crap. Glad I don't have to delete your post. : )

Now why would you do that? Given the opponent I'd say the chances of the Rangers winning this series are highly dubious. In fact, I dare say that they absolutely have to win one of the first two games in St. Louis. Personally, I don't think it is happening for the Rangers. Wouldn't mind if they surprised me and won but I don't think it is going to happen for them. :rapture:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now why would you do that? Given the opponent I'd say the chances of the Rangers winning this series are highly dubious. In fact, I dare say that they absolutely have to win one of the first two games in St. Louis. Personally, I don't think it is happening for the Rangers. Wouldn't mind if they surprised me and won but I don't think it is going to happen for them. :rapture:

Our starting pitching is better than STL, even in the playoffs. Our hitting is better than STL, our BP is better than STL, our defense is neck and neck if not better (better OF) than STL, and we have more speed on the bags than STL.

Not sure where the "dubious" would come from. There is a reason we are favored to win this series. Of course that is why they play the game on the field and not on paper, but I still like our chances.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fordman, I appreciate your analysis. Usually it is spot on; however, this time I think wishful thinking has gotten the better of you. The only thing the Rangers do better than the Cardinals is play defense and run the bases. Not going to really matter because the Ranger starting pitching is extremely weak and matches up terribly against the Cardinals to boot. Unlike the Rays and the Tigers who so many were quaking in their boots about this is actually a bad pairing for the Rangers. I am not optimistic about their chances.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Fordman FYI the ESPN "experts" almost unanimously picked the Rangers. You know how their "predictions" work out. I am so sorry. Rangers really deserve to win a World Series championship. Maybe next season.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fordman, I appreciate your analysis. Usually it is spot on; however, this time I think wishful thinking has gotten the better of you. The only thing the Rangers do better than the Cardinals is play defense and run the bases. Not going to really matter because the Ranger starting pitching is extremely weak and matches up terribly against the Cardinals to boot. Unlike the Rays and the Tigers who so many were quaking in their boots about this is actually a bad pairing for the Rangers. I am not optimistic about their chances.

Ok, lets dance. Do you want to compare 2011 postseason stats or 2011 regular season stats? Seems post season is more relevant, but I'll let you decide.

Postseason
Batting OPS: STL +.029
Pitching ERA: TX -.07
Fielding PCT: TX -.001
Starters ERA: STL -.19
BP ERA: TX -.21
SB: Push

Regular Season
Batting OPS: TX +.034
Pitching ERA: STL -.05
Starters ERA: TX -.16
BP ERA: STL -.38
SB: TX +86

Looks like we do more than just defense and run bases better to me. But, the numbers are posted so everyone can chime in on their own.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you account for differences in the league and park differences? It is not apples and apples. The pitcher batting makes a huge difference. Not to mention that the Rangers play in an extreme hitters park which helps their offensive numbers but hurts their pitching stats.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you account for differences in the league and park differences? It is not apples and apples. The pitcher batting makes a huge difference. Not to mention that the Rangers play in an extreme hitters park which helps their offensive numbers but hurts their pitching stats.

I don't think the pitcher will make that big of a difference. We still keep our DH, the person that will be kicked out is Moreland who was abysmal to date anyhow. As for the park, both teams get to hit here, both teams get to pitch here. Considering the small sample size for the playoffs and our pitchers still have better numbers while our hitters have been horrible...looks even better.

I see CJ vs Carpenter as a toss up. After that, considering the park Lewis is pitching in, we have the starting advantage in every game. And that is considering how terrible the starters have been in the post season.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rangers have the slightly better offense maybe the same production. Better bullpen, better defense better baserunning. Also what got us to the playoffs was our starters. I expect our starters to do better.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, lets dance. Do you want to compare 2011 postseason stats or 2011 regular season stats? Seems post season is more relevant, but I'll let you decide.

Postseason
Batting OPS: STL +.029
Pitching ERA: TX -.07
Starters ERA: STL -.19
BP ERA: TX -.21
SB: Push

Regular Season
Batting OPS: TX +.034
Pitching ERA: STL -.05
Starters ERA: TX -.16
BP ERA: STL -.38
SB: TX +86

Looks like we do more than just defense and run bases better to me. But, the numbers are posted so everyone can chime in on their own.

While we do have the advantage we still got to play the games. But we do have the better all around. we will just have to see.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Fordman FYI the ESPN "experts" almost unanimously picked the Rangers. You know how their "predictions" work out. I am so sorry. Rangers really deserve to win a World Series championship. Maybe next season.

Hahaha good one. They have every bit as of a chance as this season to win it all.I think we will win just cause we are :hungry:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because our SP has been weak the last two series, doesn't mean they are weak. Their regular season numbers speak for themselves. I don't expect their poor play to continue. Everyone goes through their rough starts, luckily we got ours out of the way while STILL winning.