• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B-Craw locked up

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Covers two remaining years of arbitration and 4 years of free agency. I'm glad we're keeping him around :thumb:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a LOT of lettuce !! 2015 damn well better be indicative of 'the future Craw'.

The only language I could find on money details was in the SJ Merc :

He'll basically average roughly $15 million in each of the four free-agent seasons that the Giants bought out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a LOT of lettuce !! 2015 damn well better be indicative of 'the future Craw'.

He'll basically average roughly $15 million in each of the four free-agent seasons that the Giants bought out.

Maybe something like $6M, $9M, $13M, $15M, $15M, $17M?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Would have loved 5 years $60M, but I don't think it's a huge overpay. I'm more worried about his back and all of the seemingly minor nagging injuries that come with the SS job.

Regardless (knocks on wood), it shouldn't be a Timmay/Pablo bad contract.

(Just sent out the ColinCoby bat signal)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good(ish) deal.

As tz continually (and accurately) reminds us, baseball contracts are only going up. Locking a guy today at a slight over pay will be a HUGE underpay later in his contract. Remember all the hand-wringing we were doing at the HUGE contract Pence got? That is an absolute steal of a deal today.

Even if Craw levels out at only an average starting SS, < 15M a year for a starter in 3 or 4 years will not be a handcuff contract.

And Arroyo can still develop and either be traded or slowly brought along to succeed Craw.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Craw is a true Giant. He has been a Giant since he was in the womb. That plays into the calculus in both directions (The Giants want to keep a guy like that around and he wants to stay a Giant throughout his career).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinion of a good, non-biased baseball poster that I respect:

2 years of control Age 29-30 Prolly making 7M Arb2 10MArb3

So they gave him an excess of 58M for ages 31-34 14.5M Per?

Straight logic.. Don't really like it..no profit in doing it 2 years early. Maybe you save a year..but 15M a year isn't really savings.. Too much can go wrong and trends suggest MI decline on a deep slope after 32. Defense for a SS especially... Its just such a demanding position that takes its toll on a body playing 162 per +.

His Plate discipline/hitting ability hasn't really improved much across these years. He still whiffs as much as ever and chances as many bad balls as before and his contract ability is about the same. Which is Mediocre at best.

They are basically placing a bet that his power spike is for real..and I've seen lots of guys have a power spikes in a 1 year window and regress back to norm quick. Don't watch him enough? Do you believe he is legit hitting the balll harder and farther than ever? Does his bat actually seem faster?

Now that being said. From a morale stand point. I LOVE the signing. Keep in toe with the mantailly that you want to keep the band together.. Its intangible..but can't hate a team wanting to keep the clubhose together. Especially a team that has won championships..

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Straight logic.. Don't really like it..no profit in doing it 2 years early. Maybe you save a year..but 15M a year isn't really savings.. Too much can go wrong and trends suggest MI decline on a deep slope after 32. Defense for a SS especially... Its just such a demanding position that takes its toll on a body playing 162 per +.

His Plate discipline/hitting ability hasn't really improved much across these years. He still whiffs as much as ever and chances as many bad balls as before and his contract ability is about the same. Which is Mediocre at best.

They are basically placing a bet that his power spike is for real..and I've seen lots of guys have a power spikes in a 1 year window and regress back to norm quick. Don't watch him enough? Do you believe he is legit hitting the balll harder and farther than ever? Does his bat actually seem faster?

Now that being said. From a morale stand point. I LOVE the signing. Keep in toe with the mantailly that you want to keep the band together.. Its intangible..but can't hate a team wanting to keep the clubhose together. Especially a team that has won championships..
Hater

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I asked and he gave me a shot with no chaser!

Can't say I disagree with any of it. That said, like he alluded to at the end.....BCraw is worth more to the Gmen than just on the field abilities.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I asked and he gave me a shot with no chaser!

Can't say I disagree with any of it. That said, like he alluded to at the end.....BCraw is worth more to the Gmen than just on the field abilities.
I was surprised who posted that. I was expecting someone else...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, if Craw is somewhere between his 2014-2015 season with the bat, and continues to play GG defense the next 2 seasons, he probably could have found a deal worth $100M out there in the FA market. His biggest competition would be Erick Aybar at the SS position. The Giants get him 4/$60M.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised who posted that. I was expecting someone else...
Yeah, the one you're thinking about is better at FBB than contracts.

Assuming I'm guessing your assumption correctly.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Craw is somewhere between his 2014-2015 season with the bat, and continues to play GG defense the next 2 seasons, he probably could have found a deal worth $100M out there in the FA market. His biggest competition would be Erick Aybar at the SS position. The Giants get him 4/$60M.
For sure. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm glad Craw is locked up as nothing is guaranteed. Just wanted to give a different take.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now does that make Arroyo tradable for a pitcher? They must not like him much and don't see him as a future Giant as he is blocked all over the infield. Waste of a first round pick.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now does that make Arroyo tradable for a pitcher? They must not like him much and don't see him as a future Giant as he is blocked all over the infield. Waste of a first round pick.

I think you're conflating the two. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. They can like Crawford and want to reward him and still be high on Arroyo. Who is to say that Panik's back recovers all the way? Who's to say that Duffy isn't figured out after a full season worth of work and a full offseason for pitchers to build a book? What if Crawford gets hurt?

Obviously, he just became a more tradeable asset now, but that doesn't mean he was a wasted pick nor that the Giants have necessarily soured on him.

Imhumbleo of course.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I brought up the possibility of a Crawford extension over in the 2016 Rosterbation | Page 17 | SportsHoopla Sports Forums thread, it was only because that some memory of talk on this forum about an extension for Crawford. I had no idea that the Giants were looking into it until Hangman supplied a link in our conversation about an extension.
Interesting that the numbers of the extension were between what Marco and I suggested for a deal. I didn't think it would be a 6 year extension (was thinking more like a 4 or 5 year deal) but it shouldn't impact who they sign this year since Crawford is probably getting only about a $1 million more than what he would have gotten through arbitration (total guess on that too).
I like the idea of Crawford being around for a few more years. His offense has been trending upward but I could see him posting see saw years offensively. The back end of the deal may be overpriced if he ages like a typical shortstop.
Arroyo has at least two more years before he makes a push for the big league club (assuming he continues to move up one level at a time, no need to rush him now). By then, we'll know better if Crawford needs to move to third base or 2nd base, if Duffy can sustain or exceed rookie level production and if Panik's back will be healthy. No need to sell the farm with Arroyo yet. He provides invaluable insurance.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're conflating the two. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. They can like Crawford and want to reward him and still be high on Arroyo. Who is to say that Panik's back recovers all the way? Who's to say that Duffy isn't figured out after a full season worth of work and a full offseason for pitchers to build a book? What if Crawford gets hurt?

Obviously, he just became a more tradeable asset now, but that doesn't mean he was a wasted pick nor that the Giants have necessarily soured on him.

Imhumbleo of course.

This is much nicer than what I was going to post.

Lighten up @Hangman, I know the Niners and Lakers have you down but this doesn't change the thoughts of Arroyo at all. They can take their time with the kid. He's only 20 years old, and was one of the youngest players in High-A ball last year. A LOT can happen between now and when he's ready to break into the bigs. :suds:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a small point, but this is good news for any free agent pitcher who is considering the Giants as their next employer, and thus, more good news for the Giants.

I love synergies.