• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Auden Tate

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently his agent is making all sorts of trade demands.... Wants an explanation as to why Tate was benched on Thursday.

I normally side with the team on these things.... Agent arguments are normally one-sided and always tell the whole story. But from what we DO know, this does seem to be a crappy situation. By all accounts from the team beat writers and reporters, Tate was outstanding during preseason practice. He was outstanding last year and he worked hard to come back from a tough neck injury. The guy plays on special teams and by all accounts does whatever is asked. For him to be replaced by a guy like John Ross - A guy that is hurt more than he is not, can't play special teams, and is unreliable as a receiver, is a real slap in the face. Also, as much as I'm optimistic about Tee Higgins, I don't think he is currently better than Tate. He looks too much like a rookie out there. I think he needs a little more time to develop and I think he will develop. Just not very smooth yet. Wonder why Tate is getting the short end of the stick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might be right.

we're not concerned with making the playoffs this year. I mean, yes, we're going to attempt to win, but from a business standpoint they have to be realistic. we are running ross and higgins so they can get experience with Burrow. Tate isn't in the long term plans and is just hanging around in case someone get hurt.

Tate could land somewhere else, but my guess is he won't bring a very good trade anyhow, so he'll have to be patient.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The explanation was that Thomas offers more special teams value.

I can buy that, but there is zero reason for Ross to be active over Tate. None. Not one single thing anyone can say to me will have me believe that this team is better with Ross active over Tate.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think 7th round picks had that kind of clout to demand a trade.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The explanation was that Thomas offers more special teams value.

I can buy that, but there is zero reason for Ross to be active over Tate. None. Not one single thing anyone can say to me will have me believe that this team is better with Ross active over Tate.
Yeah, I have no problem with Thomas. He was another guy that was apparently very impressive during offseason work... And he's looked good when called upon thus far. He's been a good find.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have no problem with Thomas. He was another guy that was apparently very impressive during offseason work... And he's looked good when called upon thus far. He's been a good find.
Agreed. I think the WR corps can bring some real talent to the field if they just drop Ross.

Erickson is the best slot guy on the team, and should get more reps with the TE out, problem is you probably need a blocking TE in the game at all times to keep Burrow alive.

But, Ross offers nothing. It's great that he can get open deep, and he has a few times - but he can't catch the damned ball. Guys like Tate, Green, and Higgins all offer a big time, tall WR with Tate and Higgins able to high point the ball (a Burrow specialty) and Green still able to make those short radius catches with his frame (his speed is GONE, though).

After that Erickson and Thomas offer way more value on this roster as a 4th WR/Special teams player(s).

Again, if the play is for the future, let's see what we have in Higgins and Thomas - Just like they need to see what they have at RT in Fred because how they fair through the year is going to dictate their direction in F/A and in the draft.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Erickson, but am not sure I'd keep him active on Sundays right now. His value at this point is as a punt returner. But he's only had two returns so far.... Given our D, I don't imagine him having a ton of chances back there. I would assume you could get by with having Brandon Wilson or Gio Bernard back for punts. Bernard is sure-handed and had a long history as a returner in college. Not sure he'd pop one but he'd likely make good decisions.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Erickson, but am not sure I'd keep him active on Sundays right now. His value at this point is as a punt returner. But he's only had two returns so far.... Given our D, I don't imagine him having a ton of chances back there. I would assume you could get by with having Brandon Wilson or Gio Bernard back for punts. Bernard is sure-handed and had a long history as a returner in college. Not sure he'd pop one but he'd likely make good decisions.
He catches the ball, and can get open underneath, unlike Ross in either instance. It's a shame he never gets more opportunity because all he's ever done on Sunday when called upon is produce. If he were in N.E. - he'd be a stud.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Just drop Ross and move on. I would much rather have Tate. Tate is the new DeDe Dorsey. Produces, but underappreciated and pushed down the depth chart due to higher profile names.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll give it another couple weeks before we see some changes. The coaching staff is still under the illusion that this team is competing. Once reality sets in that they’re playing for next year, and hopefully their jobs, guys like Ross will he inactive.