• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Auction Strategy

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think its really important to have a couple of studs? I know mocking gets crazy , but its hard watching those big time backs go off the board , but owners are paying a price. Is it important to get one of them. In my mock last night- Romo, Chris Johnson, Murray, miller , Dez, Fitz, Bowe, Olsen were my top 8. I had 8 spots to go with 23 dollars left. So really I had 6 spots and 21 dollars because the K and Def I wasnt going over 1.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought conservative. the most I paid for anyone was 38 dollars for Forte.

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather go out and spend some money on a couple key players. You can find some good deals out there for cheap and I'd rather have my money in my starting lineup then sitting on the bench for depth. Also the worst thing for me is to have money left over because I was patient and trying to find all deals.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need studs. Great bargains on your bench won't help you win anything.

As an example (yeah, these are only projections, but they give an idea):

• Megatron is projected at 41 pts more than the #7 WR, who is projected at 27 pts more than the #13 WR, who is projected at 11 pts more than the #19 WR.
  • AP is projected at 44 pts more than the #7 RB, who is projected at 28 pts more than the #13 RB, who is projected at 23 pts more than the #19 RB.
If you don't grab a stud it's hard to make up those premium pts, which is why they go for so much.

The worst result of an auction is to have a mediocre team and plenty of money to dominate the bidding on lower-tier players.

You want to avoid overpaying for sub-studs. For example Morris went for $41 out of $200 in an auction PPR league, which to me is way too much because he's not far enough ahead of guys you can get cheaper. AP went for $60, and that's more understandable.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need studs. Great bargains on your bench won't help you win anything.

As an example (yeah, these are only projections, but they give an idea):

• Megatron is projected at 41 pts more than the #7 WR, who is projected at 27 pts more than the #13 WR, who is projected at 11 pts more than the #19 WR.
  • AP is projected at 44 pts more than the #7 RB, who is projected at 28 pts more than the #13 RB, who is projected at 23 pts more than the #19 RB.
If you don't grab a stud it's hard to make up those premium pts, which is why they go for so much.

The worst result of an auction is to have a mediocre team and plenty of money to dominate the bidding on lower-tier players.

You want to avoid overpaying for sub-studs. For example Morris went for $41 out of $200 in an auction PPR league, which to me is way too much because he's not far enough ahead of guys you can get cheaper. AP went for $60, and that's more understandable.

In my league Alfred Morris went for 58 Doug Martin went for 67 at those prices I will take Forte for 38

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my league Alfred Morris went for 58 Doug Martin went for 67 at those prices I will take Forte for 38

This is a great example of finding value in an auction. I personally feel that Forte is a slam dunk top 10 RB this year. If you can find 3 players like Forte who are undervalued, like D. Thomas and Chris Johnson, you can get 3 studs for the price of 2. No, these guys aren't going to perform at an AP level, but you could be better served with 3 guys like this than an AP, Megatron combo that might cost about the same.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump:

I have my annual auction league draft in a couple hours.

So things get out of hand real quick. And by that i mean that the elite players become overwhelmingly expensive. Which also trickles down to the lower-tiered players who get a bump by desperate owners.

So i usually end up getting some value picks on the under-the-radar guys. But if i'm being honest, my teams tend to fall short.

I realize i can be opening a can o worms, but if you could buy 1 or 2 ELITE players, who would you target and why?

If i decide to spend, my personal target will be better-than-average offenses. Dont want fork over good money for a yardage-dependant player.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So things get out of hand real quick. And by that i mean that the elite players become overwhelmingly expensive. Which also trickles down to the lower-tiered players who get a bump by desperate owners.

So i usually end up getting some value picks on the under-the-radar guys. But if i'm being honest, my teams tend to fall short.

I realize i can be opening a can o worms, but if you could buy 1 or 2 ELITE players, who would you target and why?

If i decide to spend, my personal target will be better-than-average offenses. Dont want fork over good money for a yardage-dependant player.

CMC or Tyreek, both went for 75 out of 200 at my auction Monday

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^don't think I need to explain why I picked those guys but let me know if you need some reasons

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's last season TD leaders. Some are injury prone, some are old and could step off the cliff, some have added competition.

1725481571729.png
1725481738006.png

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is a mistake to target a specific player early in these.

Have a group of studs in your mind that you would pay top dollar for, and try to bid on the best value. You won’t know what that is until he is up for bid.

Be flexible.

The 2 biggest mistakes you can make in auctions, IMO, is spending all your money early, but even worse is failing to spend all your money.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2023 i was the #3 seed.
In 2022 i was the #4 seed.

Not downplaying my personal strategy. Just think my teams need a boost.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked at 2021.... yikes.... was #12 of 12.
Had the 6th most "points for" but i led the league in "points against" and it wasnt even close. Over 1900+ points against (closer to 2000) and the next highest was 100 points less (1800+). Teams came at me hard. Was 3-11.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a mistake to target a specific player early in these.

Have a group of studs in your mind that you would pay top dollar for, and try to bid on the best value. You won’t know what that is until he is up for bid.

Be flexible.

The 2 biggest mistakes you can make in auctions, IMO, is spending all your money early, but even worse is failing to spend all your money.

Learning all this stuff the hard way the last few years.

I think setting myself up with a rough budget of spending ~120 on 3 RBs/WRs helped me with your last 2 points of not blowing it all too early but also not having too much leftover when it came time to fill out the bench

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learning all this stuff the hard way the last few years.

I think setting myself up with a rough budget of spending ~120 on 3 RBs/WRs helped me with your last 2 points of not blowing it all too early but also not having too much leftover when it came time to fill out the bench

Yeah, definitely not easy to manage the budget effectively.

IMO, the deeper the league the less important it is to have studs. Balance can win in leagues of 14 or more.