• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Atkins or Dunlap?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are looking for contracts that would make them the highest paid defensive player in franchise history and be more inline with league contracts for positions.

We as a franchise are way too cheap to throw that kind of money on defense. We know Mike Brown loves his QB's and while AJ got a good contract at the time, it wasn't for more than 5 years.

I am in the camp we are not going to be able to afford or want to afford either one from a front office stand point if there is no break.

If that is the case, which player do you want to see signed over the other?

I have to go Atkins, as he is a difference maker in the middle and we have no one on the team capable of replacing him and his production (attention from oline). Whereas , as much as I love Dunlap, I think I am warming to the idea of Carl Lawson replacing him with Jordan Willis, Sam Hubbard, etc.

With that said, I really think the Bengals front office has to be aggressive as hell to sign Atkins right now before Donald signs his contract, which will completely change the landscape of the DT pay scale.

Give Atkins 5 years / $75 million right now with $35 million guaranteed and be done with it before Donald signs his 6 year / $120 million deal with $75 million guaranteed.

What do you say?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are looking for contracts that would make them the highest paid defensive player in franchise history and be more inline with league contracts for positions.

We as a franchise are way too cheap to throw that kind of money on defense. We know Mike Brown loves his QB's and while AJ got a good contract at the time, it wasn't for more than 5 years.

I am in the camp we are not going to be able to afford or want to afford either one from a front office stand point if there is no break.

If that is the case, which player do you want to see signed over the other?

I have to go Atkins, as he is a difference maker in the middle and we have no one on the team capable of replacing him and his production (attention from oline). Whereas , as much as I love Dunlap, I think I am warming to the idea of Carl Lawson replacing him with Jordan Willis, Sam Hubbard, etc.

With that said, I really think the Bengals front office has to be aggressive as hell to sign Atkins right now before Donald signs his contract, which will completely change the landscape of the DT pay scale.

Give Atkins 5 years / $75 million right now with $35 million guaranteed and be done with it before Donald signs his 6 year / $120 million deal with $75 million guaranteed.

What do you say?

I think they need to figure out a way to keep both, but at this point both are still very effective players, but neither are worth breaking the bank at their ages...iirc this will be the 3rd contract for both of them...if so, too late in the game for a huge deal...the cliff is right around the corner.

But...if I just had to spend the money...I think Gino is a better player, just don't like spending big money on a DT. Still for me it would be Atkins...as a Steeler fan I've always feared him more than anyone else on the DEF.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to figure out a way to keep both, but at this point both are still very effective players, but neither are worth breaking the bank at their ages...iirc this will be the 3rd contract for both of them...if so, too late in the game for a huge deal...the cliff is right around the corner.

But...if I just had to spend the money...I think Gino is a better player, just don't like spending big money on a DT. Still for me it would be Atkins...as a Steeler fan I've always feared him more than anyone else on the DEF.

I think the team needs to try and keep both also. I just don't see the owner willing to pay enough to keep 1 more less both. I hope I am wrong, but I see the writing on the wall based off past contracts.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign Dunlap now. Pay him big money. He's a playmaker at an important position and probably has at least 3-4 good seasons left.

I'd tag Atkins in the offseason. Franchise tag money for a DT is less than it is for a DE. See if this makes his representation panic and sign a lower market deal. Also, Atkins game is predicated on his quickness.... Take away his quickness and he is a guy that doesn't have long arms and is more of a traditional anchor type of DT (in other words, he's replaceable). I'm not sure that Atkins has much more than the 2 years (this year and one tag year) left of being a top DT in the league. That would be an even 10 years for him and he'd be 32 at the end of those years.

This is the Bengals we're talking about though.... Hobs will spend next offseason writing about Lawson and some nobody at tackle that will be just as good.... And we'll also be reminded about how we keep our own - except when we don't.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atkins for several reasons.

We have guys at DE that are young, and ready to (hopefully) step into the role of passrusher. We have nothing at DT even remotely ready to step into Atkin's shoes.

While Dunlap puts up good numbers, he is extremely streaky and not very consistent from game to game. Atkins is very consistent.

While I would love to keep both ideally, it probably doesn't make a ton of sense. The position at DE is stacked with young talent. At some point, we have to let them get on the field and take over. The talent at DT is barren, and if they can sign Atkinns, they get another 2-3 years to draft, sign, develop that position.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign Dunlap now. Pay him big money. He's a playmaker at an important position and probably has at least 3-4 good seasons left.

I'd tag Atkins in the offseason. Franchise tag money for a DT is less than it is for a DE. See if this makes his representation panic and sign a lower market deal. Also, Atkins game is predicated on his quickness.... Take away his quickness and he is a guy that doesn't have long arms and is more of a traditional anchor type of DT (in other words, he's replaceable). I'm not sure that Atkins has much more than the 2 years (this year and one tag year) left of being a top DT in the league. That would be an even 10 years for him and he'd be 32 at the end of those years.

This is the Bengals we're talking about though.... Hobs will spend next offseason writing about Lawson and some nobody at tackle that will be just as good.... And we'll also be reminded about how we keep our own - except when we don't.

I think man up...Gilbert has always fare pretty well vs Dunlap, but when you play twice a yr (or more) you expect him to make some plays and he has, but Atkins was a terror...in his early prime, Pouncey couldn't handle him without OG help. Still can't imo...not many centers can which make that 43 front work imo...it pretty much ensures the DE on his gets one on one all game. All that said, I agree with your point on him.

I'm a fan of the Lawson kid, natural pass rusher.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't need to spend money if your going to get your ass beat anyhow.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't need to spend money if your going to get your ass beat anyhow.

Yes you do. The NFL has a salary floor as well as a cap. So Mike Brown has to spend if he wants to continue getting revenue sharing from the league and be a part of the NFL.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conventional wisdom says to keep Geno Atkins. He’s the motor that makes the defense tick. He’s also older.

Dunlap, while streaky, is younger and plays a more premium position. Likely why he’s the first up for contract talks.

We all know how Mike Brown operates though. They’ll make their offer to both guys’ agents. First camp who caves gets paid.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One relevant comparison for Atkins is Vince Wilfork of the Patriots. They moved on from him at age 32. Again, I'd let him play it out, pay him 13 million for a franchise-tag year and then move on.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to lose either, but I don't see anyone on this roster that can replace Atkins versus Dunlap with Lawson. I see your point, but you are also talking about a mammoth of a man in Wilfork, versus a guy like Atkins who is not a big dude, he just plays like one.

Lefell was the first piece going bye bye to help free up money.

I have a feeling Iloka, Obhuei, Eifert, maybe even Burfict may be cuts next year to provide enough money for those two. If not, I see them keeping one, and retaining Burfict. Of course Iloka may depend solely on how Bates plays this year in his limited time.

I would be more inline with letting Kirkpatrick walk, save that contract and retaining Dunlap, Atkins and Burfict, three clear cut leaders and stars on our defense.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep jettison Kirkpatrick

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to lose either, but I don't see anyone on this roster that can replace Atkins versus Dunlap with Lawson. I see your point, but you are also talking about a mammoth of a man in Wilfork, versus a guy like Atkins who is not a big dude, he just plays like one.

Lefell was the first piece going bye bye to help free up money.

I have a feeling Iloka, Obhuei, Eifert, maybe even Burfict may be cuts next year to provide enough money for those two. If not, I see them keeping one, and retaining Burfict. Of course Iloka may depend solely on how Bates plays this year in his limited time.

I would be more inline with letting Kirkpatrick walk, save that contract and retaining Dunlap, Atkins and Burfict, three clear cut leaders and stars on our defense.

Atkins has no replacement. Dunlap does. If they HAVE to get rid of one, the choice is Dunlap. Maybe they can make it work. We'll see.

Krikpatrick just signed an extension. He's going nowhere. That's not how the Bengals roll at all. Not even worth discussing.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atkins has no replacement. Dunlap does. If they HAVE to get rid of one, the choice is Dunlap. Maybe they can make it work. We'll see.

Krikpatrick just signed an extension. He's going nowhere. That's not how the Bengals roll at all. Not even worth discussing.

Well, after this year, he would only have 3 years left of t hat contract and a majority of the money was up front. They would only have a 4.2 million cap hit, but his salary with bonus would count 11 million against the cap.

They would free up $6.8 million of cap space by releasing him. Plus, if Jackson continues down his path, he is going to be a necessary sign also in a couple years. Can't pay everyone, but you have to definitely keep the best you have on your team. I think Kirkpatrick has gotten paid handsomely for his average production.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, but you only have to spend to 89.5% of the salary cap, which is known as 'the bengals salary cap'

whatever changes is left is just dispersed among the players on the roster. we've got Andy and AJ and a few other free agents we signed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, after this year, he would only have 3 years left of t hat contract and a majority of the money was up front. They would only have a 4.2 million cap hit, but his salary with bonus would count 11 million against the cap.

They would free up $6.8 million of cap space by releasing him. Plus, if Jackson continues down his path, he is going to be a necessary sign also in a couple years. Can't pay everyone, but you have to definitely keep the best you have on your team. I think Kirkpatrick has gotten paid handsomely for his average production.

Again. Not how the BENGALS do contracts. Tell me the last time the Bengals did something like this.

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just the Bengal way.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, but you only have to spend to 89.5% of the salary cap, which is known as 'the bengals salary cap'

whatever changes is left is just dispersed among the players on the roster. we've got Andy and AJ and a few other free agents we signed.

Old.

Tired.

Lazy.

You really need to get up to speed on your responses.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to go back to 2014 to find the Bengals in the top 10 in most cap space available.

Currently projected to be #10 for 2018, assuming no extensions are reached in camp.

I also believe X amount is allowed to be rolled over, so some cap space could be used next year in deals, such as these.