• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Assume no College Football - who gets screwed the most?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the line items from the NCAA distributions

The Student Athlete Opportunity Fund is money given to each conference so the conferences can pay the athletes.

The SAOF was started in 2017 because of the athlete-student lawsuits against the NCAA. It is for basketball and football ONLY.

What is SAOF?
According to the NCAA, “The NCAA Student‐Athlete Opportunity Fund (SAOF) is intended to provide direct benefits to student‐athletes as determined by conference offices.

As a guiding principle, the fund is used to assist student‐athletes in meeting financial needs that arise in conjunction with participation in intercollegiate athletics, enrollment in an academic curriculum or that recognize academic achievement. SAOF money is intended for qualified student-athletes with a financial need. It may be offered to identified student-athletes for clothing, graduate school fee assistance, course supplies, health insurance or summer school tuition assistance.”

Funding is also available to student-athletes when emergencies arise, such as the coverage of an airline ticket to attend a funeral service.

I have a sneaky suspicion some athlete-students are more equal than other athlete-students. Which I think is from the book Animal Farm.

I could not find how much each athlete-student received from this fund.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • tOSU will have gotten 1 year of Fields, no natty. They are loaded with good recruiting, but that hurts.
  • Alabama gets to skip a year without a QB phenom ... 2021 they'll be ready with Bryce Young.
  • Sunshine goes to the NFL with just one natty, but still has great hair. Clemson also has a phenom QB who will have a year of growth, but no experience.
  • UF misses out on the easiest schedule you could want ... loses a lot of senior talent and takes a step back. This was their year to win the East because of their schedule.
  • UGA dodges the bullet - was Newman really going to be good? Our best talent is young, defense is loaded, so it enures to our benefit in a way. And we dodge having to play Bama in T-Town.
  • OU gets Rattler some more growth, but no experience.
What about your team ... any senior laden teams? Teams that were primed with Seniors and NFL bound Jrs get screwed.
Boise State!! We are a lock to win it all this year!!!

Damn, it's always something for the little sisters of the poor!

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports bars will really take a beating without college football. I know 3 or 4 places that are packed on Saturdays and really count on it to make it through the rest of the week.

Adapt or perish. Such is the nature of business .

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • tOSU will have gotten 1 year of Fields, no natty. They are loaded with good recruiting, but that hurts.
  • Alabama gets to skip a year without a QB phenom ... 2021 they'll be ready with Bryce Young.
  • Sunshine goes to the NFL with just one natty, but still has great hair. Clemson also has a phenom QB who will have a year of growth, but no experience.
  • UF misses out on the easiest schedule you could want ... loses a lot of senior talent and takes a step back. This was their year to win the East because of their schedule.
  • UGA dodges the bullet - was Newman really going to be good? Our best talent is young, defense is loaded, so it enures to our benefit in a way. And we dodge having to play Bama in T-Town.
  • OU gets Rattler some more growth, but no experience.
What about your team ... any senior laden teams? Teams that were primed with Seniors and NFL bound Jrs get screwed.

The NFL, is the answer to your question.

How in the hell do they draft next year, if no college season...Tea Leaves...Palm Readers...Crystal Balls?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL, is the answer to your question.

How in the hell do they draft next year, if no college season...Tea Leaves...Palm Readers...Crystal Balls?

So..just like a normal year?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..just like a normal year?

Nah...it would be anything but a normal year. I understand the premise that it is always an unknown
if a player can make the jump to the next level, but with no college football in 2020, there could be
players that only played as a soph wanting to come out. That will definitely be a guessing game.
No competition in two years for most players will be a guessing game.

One possibility for college players in 2020, is making the jump to the CFL. They have moved the start
of their regular season back to July. If the college season has already been cancelled, I could see
some players dropping out and heading north to oplay for a year in the CFL.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah...it would be anything but a normal year. I understand the premise that it is always an unknown
if a player can make the jump to the next level, but with no college football in 2020, there could be
players that only played as a soph wanting to come out. That will definitely be a guessing game.
No competition in two years for most players will be a guessing game.

One possibility for college players in 2020, is making the jump to the CFL. They have moved the start
of their regular season back to July. If the college season has already been cancelled, I could see
some players dropping out and heading north to oplay for a year in the CFL.

I doubt cfb players would forego a season of eligibility to play in the CFL. GMs swing and miss anyways, now they have a built in excuse.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids that play college football.

Less than small college kids that play baseball and football though.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports bars will really take a beating without college football. I know 3 or 4 places that are packed on Saturdays and really count on it to make it through the rest of the week.

That's a good point that many aren't taking into consideration

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard an interesting comment from my cousin who is a full professor in chemistry at a major university. "The GPA's of a lot of players will drop like a rock if they aren't needed to play sports and their teachers stop giving them easier grading to help keep them eligible".

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard an interesting comment from my cousin who is a full professor in chemistry at a major university. "The GPA's of a lot of players will drop like a rock if they aren't needed to play sports and their teachers stop giving them easier grading to help keep them eligible".
Luckily ou is on a 3rd grade sliding scale