• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A'Shawn Robinson

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 sacks? I'd have been happy with 1 play of any impact.

Incidentally, here's a scathing scouting report on Robinson written prior to the championship game. His performance in the game did nothing to discredit it.

2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Alabama DL A'Shawn Robinson

"Like most Alabama defenders, power and size aren’t issues for Robinson, who certainly looks the part at a thick 6-4, 312 pounds. Unfortunately that power is rendered useless too often on the field, as Robinson is consistently too high in his stance, allowing the defensive lineman to get leveraged off the ball. He’s often strong enough to hold his ground regardless, but Robinson typically can’t generate any push at the point of attack due to being stood up and controlled off the ball.

Perhaps Robinson could get off those blocks if he utilized his hands as weapons, but the defensive tackle locks out to a stalemate and is content there. His whole upper half needs massive technical work, as he is completely deficient as a pass rusher, and not nearly energetic enough in his efforts to shed blocks and work himself into the action.

Because Robinson doesn’t utilize any pass rush moves on passing downs, he relies completely on a poor speed-to-power conversion that fails due to his lack of burst off the ball, and motor at the point of attack. Robinson’s get-off is remarkably inconsistent, but he is often the last player off the ball, allowing offensive linemen to set up cleanly in pass protection before contact is made. Even when he does generate a push, Robinson runs out of steam after a step or two. He simply isn’t quick or athletic enough to win any other way, and lacks the flexibility to even be a pass rushing five technique as he occasionally was for ‘Bama...."

Various sights say various things. I studied scouting reports from recent ex NFL GMs and scouts, most if no all had good things to say about him. PFF dangerously treats these 20-21 year old kids like their finished products. Very bizarre and IMO lazy way of doing things, but it's their rag, not mine.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 sacks? I'd have been happy with 1 play of any impact.

Incidentally, here's a scathing scouting report on Robinson written prior to the championship game. His performance in the game did nothing to discredit it.

2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Alabama DL A'Shawn Robinson

"Like most Alabama defenders, power and size aren’t issues for Robinson, who certainly looks the part at a thick 6-4, 312 pounds. Unfortunately that power is rendered useless too often on the field, as Robinson is consistently too high in his stance, allowing the defensive lineman to get leveraged off the ball. He’s often strong enough to hold his ground regardless, but Robinson typically can’t generate any push at the point of attack due to being stood up and controlled off the ball.

Perhaps Robinson could get off those blocks if he utilized his hands as weapons, but the defensive tackle locks out to a stalemate and is content there. His whole upper half needs massive technical work, as he is completely deficient as a pass rusher, and not nearly energetic enough in his efforts to shed blocks and work himself into the action.

Because Robinson doesn’t utilize any pass rush moves on passing downs, he relies completely on a poor speed-to-power conversion that fails due to his lack of burst off the ball, and motor at the point of attack. Robinson’s get-off is remarkably inconsistent, but he is often the last player off the ball, allowing offensive linemen to set up cleanly in pass protection before contact is made. Even when he does generate a push, Robinson runs out of steam after a step or two. He simply isn’t quick or athletic enough to win any other way, and lacks the flexibility to even be a pass rushing five technique as he occasionally was for ‘Bama...."

Whoever wrote that doesn't understand the Alabama defense and what his job is.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is his job?

To plug the middle and push the inside of the pocket while keeping the QB contained and unable to scramble up the middle.

It's all about assignment football at Alabama.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To plug the middle and push the inside of the pocket while keeping the QB contained and unable to scramble up the middle.

It's all about assignment football at Alabama.

Sure, but sometimes he looks like a regular 9-to-5 worker. A guy that does his job, and nothing more. That is the concern here for some.

The YouTube highlight reel makes A'Shawn look like a beast. The YouTube full game films look like a more pedestrian player. Especially the Nat. champ. Game. I hope that was just a bad game or assignment football. He was non-existent from a playmaking standpoint.

He is my wife's favorite player now cuz of that old man beard, man-capris, and Ferragamo loafers. He looks mean and sophisticated at the same time.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but sometimes he looks like a regular 9-to-5 worker. A guy that does his job, and nothing more. That is the concern here for some.

The YouTube highlight reel makes A'Shawn look like a beast. The YouTube full game films look like a more pedestrian player. Especially the Nat. champ. Game. I hope that was just a bad game or assignment football. He was non-existent from a playmaking standpoint.

He is my wife's favorite player now cuz of that old man beard, man-capris, and Ferragamo loafers. He looks mean and sophisticated at the same time.

:noidea: I am not someone who can evaluate talent. I just know how our defense works and what was expected of him.

You basically just got a 1st round player in the 2nd, so it can't be all that bad.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping he can at least provide as much as Fairley did in his 4 years with the Lions.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairly led the league in QB pressures before getting injured, but casual Lions fans will tell you he's lazy. :rolleyes2:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairly led the league in QB pressures before getting injured, but casual Lions fans will tell you he's lazy. :rolleyes2:

:stephena:

Lets not get carried away. He did it for a portion of 1 year. If he did it every year he was healthy you would have a stronger point.

Anywho, @4down20 has a very good point. Its about executing the assignment. Besides, its not like we are paying him 20 mil a year :heh:. Robinson wont be asked to do a ton this year unless their are a lot of injuries. Zettel may get more because of how thin we are at DE. Speaking of Zettel, he had some gaudy numbers as a DE (almost as much as Nassib) as a Jr, but played almost his entire Sr year at DT. He may be the real steal of the draft.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get you defend a player you like to the bitter end. Many casual GM's have passed on signing this phenomenal player, twice. He's made less money with each contract he's signed. Why? He's had two of the best DTs beside him so far. Let's see what he does without one this season? Unless he gets snaps beside a rookie.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not get carried away.

Calling Fairley lazy is getting carried away. Dude was never lazy. Mayhew was just s terrible evaluator. He led the league until gettimg hurt. No amount of spin changes that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get you defend a player you like to the bitter end. Many casual GM's have passed on signing this phenomenal player, twice. He's made less money with each contract he's signed. Why? He's had two of the best DTs beside him so far. Let's see what he does without one this season? Unless he gets snaps beside a rookie.

No doubt his knee got wrecked. But no one is passing on him because he is "lazy". Dude was a beast. His numbers are better than any other DT we've had other than Suh.

But I get it. He's an EX Lion now. So you gotta shit on him.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Fairley lazy is getting carried away. Dude was never lazy. Mayhew was just s terrible evaluator. He led the league until gettimg hurt. No amount of spin changes that.

I cant comment on the lazy part. The dude had 8 good games in his last year here (maybe 2 others in the first 3 years). That is not spin. Maybe he could have continued that if Suh didnt blow out Nerfs knee, but thats what happened so we will never know.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant comment on the lazy part. The dude had 8 good games in his last year here (maybe 2 others in the first 3 years). That is not spin. Maybe he could have continued that if Suh didnt blow out Nerfs knee, but thats what happened so we will never know.

11.5 sacks in 12-13. Before being injured in 2012, he was dominating opponents with four sacks, two forced fumbles and 23 tackles. That run began Week 10 at Minnesota and ended Week 14 at Green Bay when he suffered the shoulder injury that resulted in him being placed on injured-reserve.

This all before leading the league in QB pressures.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt his knee got wrecked. But no one is passing on him because he is "lazy". Dude was a beast. His numbers are better than any other DT we've had other than Suh.

But I get it. He's an EX Lion now. So you gotta shit on him.

Rob I was shitting on him when he was a Lion. Same way I shit on Stafford or Suh or CJ. I've never been shy to express my concerns for any player. He has all the talent just like Stafford does. He just chooses not use it consistently. Drove me crazy.

He will never live up to what a 13th pick should be. He's a good rotational player and nothing more.

You already said the 16th pick this year had better be a pro bowler in two years. Certainly have different views on a guy you like and player you didn't want. Fairley will never sniff a pro owl.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You already said the 16th pick this year had better be a pro bowler in two years.

No I didn't. I said Ryan Kelly better be a Pro Bowler if taken at 16, because he would have virtually zero competition being a C. I feel the same way now that Indy took him.

Before wrecking his knee, Fairley was headed toward multiple pro bowls. Best DT we've had not named Suh.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn't. I said Ryan Kelly better be a Pro Bowler if taken at 16, because he would have virtually zero competition being a C. I feel the same way now that Indy took him.

Before wrecking his knee, Fairley was headed toward multiple pro bowls. Best DT we've had not named Suh.

I think Luther may argue that comment.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luther may argue that comment.

Exactly my point. You have to go aaallll the way back to Luther Ellis to find a comparable DT. I was in high school when Luther was drafted.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising.