• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A's to San Jose...?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WSJ weighs in on the A's vs Giants re Silicon Valley

The A's vs. Giants: Baseball's Battle for Silicon Valley - WSJ.com

The best solution seems to me the A's billionaires building a damn stadium they pay for like we did on the Oakland waterfront. But that'll never happen.

Would you want to be or stay in Oakland? Or, which city would you rather live and work in, Oakland, or San Jose?

NOT trying to get into a turf war, only wanting to touch on this one part of the larger whole issue.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you want to be or stay in Oakland? Or, which city would you rather live and work in, Oakland, or San Jose?

NOT trying to get into a turf war, only wanting to touch on this one part of the larger whole issue.

That part of the issue is obvious, but the Giants have their rights and won't let them go. The A's need to make it work in Oakland, and the article shows there are ways they can do that.

None of the Tigers fans live in Detroit itself, they come in from the burbs. And they have a great new ballpark

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part of the issue is obvious, but the Giants have their rights and won't let them go. The A's need to make it work in Oakland, and the article shows there are ways they can do that.

None of the Tigers fans live in Detroit itself, they come in from the burbs. And they have a great new ballpark

Fair enough. I just question whether it is best for the sport as a whole to have teams and stadiums in places that people would not be within 10-100 miles of otherwise is all.

If I still lived in So. Cal, and the Dodgers built a palacial new stadium in downtown Compton, I would NEVER attend a game. Heck, as it is, I won't go to night games in Oakland, and I am a fairly sizeable dude.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I just question whether it is best for the sport as a whole to have teams and stadiums in places that people would not be within 10-100 miles of otherwise is all.

If I still lived in So. Cal, and the Dodgers built a palacial new stadium in downtown Compton, I would NEVER attend a game. Heck, as it is, I won't go to night games in Oakland, and I am a fairly sizeable dude.

That's why you build the stadium (with the usual new hotels, residences, restaurants) somewhere not scary, like Jack London Square (not Compton).

Oakland is not entirely a Mad Max wasteland, you can build just fine there. The Yankees have a stadium in a rough neighborhood and they do ok.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you build the stadium (with the usual new hotels, residences, restaurants) somewhere not scary, like Jack London Square (not Compton).

Oakland is not entirely a Mad Max wasteland, you can build just fine there. The Yankees have a stadium in a rough neighborhood and they do ok.

I guess I have just gotten Silicon Valley spoiled in my old age.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, from reading the article, it sounds like the fairest, most sensible, least radical, and most viable solution would be for the A's to build a new park in Oakland. Selig ought to work toward that with the owners.

msg makes a good point about the Yankees in the Bronx. By and large a very nasty place, but the Yanks make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a lot of difference between Compton and Chavez Ravine, other than the LAPD academy is across the street from the current stadium.

And "downtown" Compton? How long you been gone from SoCal? :D

The Home Depot Center was build in Carson, which is not a great neighborhood. Staples Center was built in a terrible part of town. And we won't even go to the Colesium's environs. Staples at HDC (or whatever they call it now) are doing well, and the area around them is flourishing.

Agree that an Oakland Stadium near Jack London Square would be much better than the present locale.

And I am not sure how many East Bay folks would make the trek to San Jose, especially if BART is not running near any sort of stadium there.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing about the location of the A's present stadium that feels like Compton. In other words, you are not driving through urban poverty to get to the stadium. In short, people aren't avoiding A's ballgames because of a scary location.

If the A's built a brand new ballpark in its present location, they would obviously draw far more fans than they presently do. Of course, Mr. Wolfe wants those San Jose corporate dollars that the Giants presently enjoy. Which is what this all comes down to...right?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing about the location of the A's present stadium that feels like Compton. In other words, you are not driving through urban poverty to get to the stadium. In short, people aren't avoiding A's ballgames because of a scary location.

If the A's built a brand new ballpark in its present location, they would obviously draw far more fans than they presently do. Of course, Mr. Wolfe wants those San Jose corporate dollars that the Giants presently enjoy. Which is what this all comes down to...right?

O.k, so it is just me that avoid the A's and scary locations. I can deal with that. I can also deal with the fact that my want for the A's to be in San Jose is just so I can easily go to games, and don't have to travel.

As a lone, solo individual, I have no problem with things like this being all about me.

Say what you will, but at least I can admit to all of the above.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been to Yankee stadium quite a few times since I live in NY. Prefer the Mets (NL) but when friends and relatives visit it always seems to be about the Yankees. The statium itself is located centrally to transportation. If you took a train (subway) you actually get off right at the stadium. No walking at all. Days games are fine. Night games are also OK. Plenty of police around when a game is being played. Not sure how the area is when there is no game scheduled. In general almost all transportation leads right to the ball park. Even if you are driving there you are not on local streets for any great length of time.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of difference between Compton and Chavez Ravine, other than the LAPD academy is across the street from the current stadium.

And "downtown" Compton? How long you been gone from SoCal? :D

Going on 30 years, so my references there are well dated. Still, I think I got my point across. And, as I just stated in a previous post, I have no problem saying that I don't want to go to certain cities or certain areas of cities. I guess I am just too old now to get any kind of enjoyment while feeling in any way that my safety is at risk.

It may happen to you guys as well when you get old and crotchity, like me.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O.k, so it is just me that avoid the A's and scary locations. I can deal with that. I can also deal with the fact that my want for the A's to be in San Jose is just so I can easily go to games, and don't have to travel.

As a lone, solo individual, I have no problem with things like this being all about me.

Say what you will, but at least I can admit to all of the above.

To be fair, I'm wouldn't attend a USC home football game. :)

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigD does make a good point about the 'good of the game'. It's not good for the sport for the A's to continue to play in a literal shithole, so I hope they figure something out soon.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigD does make a good point about the 'good of the game'. It's not good for the sport for the A's to continue to play in a literal shithole, so I hope they figure something out soon.

Thank you. I just can't think of a way for it to shake out any kind of fair for the Giants. Others have suggested that the A's pay the Giants for the territory, which I would be for. However, the A's are and have been cash poor, and I don't think the Giants would like to get the millions this would take in say $ 10,000 per month payments, so.........?

I also think that San Jose is now a major league city, one that deserves a major leage team.

Oh well, at least I can start going to 49er games a lot easier starting next year......

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through this, I couldn't help but think of the beautiful metropolis that once encapsulated the China Basin. Now, a monstrosity of a beacon to gentrification resides. ;)

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. I just can't think of a way for it to shake out any kind of fair for the Giants. Others have suggested that the A's pay the Giants for the territory, which I would be for. However, the A's are and have been cash poor, and I don't think the Giants would like to get the millions this would take in say $ 10,000 per month payments, so.........?

I also think that San Jose is now a major league city, one that deserves a major leage team.

Oh well, at least I can start going to 49er games a lot easier starting next year......

Which brings me to my next point: why didn't they just build more condos around and then on top of Candlestick and relocate everybody living in Hunter's Point? Win-Win, if you ask me. Except for the South Bay, but who cares about them, anyway? ;)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which brings me to my next point: why didn't they just build more condos around and then on top of Candlestick and relocate everybody living in Hunter's Point? Win-Win, if you ask me. Except for the South Bay, but who cares about them, anyway? ;)

Which brings me to my next point: why didn't they just build more condos around and then on top of Candlestick and relocate everybody living in Hunter's Point? Win-Win, if you ask me.

Because Walter O'Malley was a better and more shrewd businessman than Horace Stoneham?

Except for the South Bay, but who cares about them, anyway?

:stfu:

:suds:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If left to market forces, that's exactly what would happen.

We've been exporting our black residents here since the 50s, starting with the widening of Geary Street. Then, the shutdown of the shipyards. And next will be gentrification of HP and all the black folks will be dispersed to the East Bay, Marin City, and EPA.