• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we all on standby until draft?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those raven, unlike the browns, aren't throwinawaytheirshot

anyway...

these teams aren't too high on Tyler Lindenbaum.

he may relegate Carman to a backup.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sort of weird watching the draft from a position of a top team. Lots of teams making aggressive moves to shake things up, but some of them don't make much sense. The Eagles get AJ Brown from Tennessee for the 18th and 101st picks in the draft. The Eagles also have committed 57 million guaranteed to Brown.

Obviously, I watched the Bengals/Titans game in the playoffs. Brown is a good player - Made a dynamite one-handed grab in that game. But he doesn't push the Titans over the top and I don't suspect he makes Jalen Hurts an exceptional QB. Why commit 57 million dollars to a guy that makes you marginally better? Teams are being ridiculous.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of movement and picks given up for picks and players that were not worth the value, IMO.

Hamilton is a nice pick for Bmore, but honestly - I think he'll struggle at this level a little bit. Didn't think he was all that great when UC played them. Linderbaum is going to have his hands full in this division with the DL's from the Bengals and Browns.

It will be interesting to see where the Bengals go for IOL - some disturbing reports have surfaced regarding Carmen and some sexual assault charges from a few years ago. Bengals may need to pivot earlier than planned to ensure they have an IOL lined up, or may need to scour the F/A market.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also - Pickett to Pitt is nice, but I'm not sold on him - and their OL is pretty bad. Will be interesting to see how he progresses, but I think it was very, very telling that only 1 QB went in the entire 1st round.

This group of QB's just isn't that great. Just glad Ridder didn't end up there - would have hated rooting against him being a UC guy.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it was going to be Booth, but we do know that the Bengals don't like the idea of making Bates the highest-paid safety in the league.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's sort of weird watching the draft from a position of a top team. Lots of teams making aggressive moves to shake things up, but some of them don't make much sense. The Eagles get AJ Brown from Tennessee for the 18th and 101st picks in the draft. The Eagles also have committed 57 million guaranteed to Brown.

Obviously, I watched the Bengals/Titans game in the playoffs. Brown is a good player - Made a dynamite one-handed grab in that game. But he doesn't push the Titans over the top and I don't suspect he makes Jalen Hurts an exceptional QB. Why commit 57 million dollars to a guy that makes you marginally better? Teams are being ridiculous.

With Brown to the Eagles I think it was the perfect storm. The run on recievers started earlier than the media projected. Philly QB still on a cheap rookie deal plus they had 2 picks in the 1st round so they still get one player on a cost controlled contract.

The Ravens getting a 1st rd pick for Hollywood Brown shocked me but I guess the Cardinals are keeping Murray happy and maybe we haven't seen Brown's complete upside in the Ravens offense.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also - Pickett to Pitt is nice, but I'm not sold on him - and their OL is pretty bad. Will be interesting to see how he progresses, but I think it was very, very telling that only 1 QB went in the entire 1st round.

This group of QB's just isn't that great. Just glad Ridder didn't end up there - would have hated rooting against him being a UC guy.

I think Pickett's an interesting case study, similar to Mac Jones. A few years ago they both would have been top 5-10 picks imo but the NFL now is placing more value than ever on elite physical traits at that position. My hunch is that teams looking for the next Mahomes are going to eventually pass on players that end up being the next Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers. Like the early/mid 80s there was just a fluke run of transcendent QB talents but if teams were looking for the next Elway, Marino, Cunningham etc would have been wasting their time as those players were all once an era.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pickett's an interesting case study, similar to Mac Jones. A few years ago they both would have been top 5-10 picks imo but the NFL now is placing more value than ever on elite physical traits at that position. My hunch is that teams looking for the next Mahomes are going to eventually pass on players that end up being the next Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers. Like the early/mid 80s there was just a fluke run of transcendent QB talents but if teams were looking for the next Elway, Marino, Cunningham etc would have been wasting their time as those players were all once an era.
It's interesting that Willis wasn't selected in the first round. He has rare talents.... Given the state of quarterbacking in the NFL, it seems like teams are going to shy away from good to very good prospects in search of the rare guy (as you were basically saying happened before).

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that Willis wasn't selected in the first round. He has rare talents.... Given the state of quarterbacking in the NFL, it seems like teams are going to shy away from good to very good prospects in search of the rare guy (as you were basically saying happened before).
I think that just speaks to the talent we already have in the league at QB, teams can just throw away a player like Baker Mayfield (no one has traded for him yet, and the browns didn't get a first rounder for him today)

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that just speaks to the talent we already have in the league at QB, teams can just throw away a player like Baker Mayfield (no one has traded for him yet, and the browns didn't get a first rounder for him today)
Mayfield is praying that Willis gets snatched up before Carolina is on the clock. If he is still sitting there, they have to decide between Ridder and trading a 3rd for Mayfield if Cleveland eats some of his salary.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, though, even with Ryan and Rivers - they had an elite talent. Arm, reading ability, something....Pickett is good, but I don't see him as elite in any one category. He looks like a slightly better version of Dalton. Someone who I think will be steady, but will likely need things around him to go right because he lacks the top tier/elite talent to put a team on his back.

Time will tell.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The thing is, though, even with Ryan and Rivers - they had an elite talent. Arm, reading ability, something....Pickett is good, but I don't see him as elite in any one category. He looks like a slightly better version of Dalton. Someone who I think will be steady, but will likely need things around him to go right because he lacks the top tier/elite talent to put a team on his back.

Time will tell.

I just look at Pickett as checking the boxes ( requisite size and arm, experience in pro style offense, elite season in power 5 conference) that usually get a QB drafted high in the 1st rd. I definitely don't think he's an Andrew Luck caliber prospect or anything but I do think teams are passing on him an overcorrection for undervaluing Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Allen, Mahomes etc.
That's why I think Jones and Pickett will be case studies. If Mac throws 35 tds this season and Pickett plays well and leads Pittsburgh to the playoffs I expect teams to pivot back to pocket passers with elite production in pro style systems. If they struggle or reach Dalton-like ceiling teams will keep looking for athletic prototypes