• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we all on standby until draft?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a whole lot else going on - Bengals appear to be done with F/A until after the draft.

At this point - hopefully - they are spending their time evaluating heavily. This will be a draft where they are not drafting for immediate starters at multiple spots, but drafting depth for '23 and beyond at multiple spots.

The only position that they could draft that would be a likely starter is if they could land a 1st round CB - such as Elam.

They'll need depth at OT, IOL, Safety, WR, TE and 3-tech DT and even 1 more DE/rush guy.

Reality is - with how things have gone with Bates, he's likely gone. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go Safety early and again a bit later. Deep class for this position as well as IOL. I could see them looking at WR rather early with Higgins' contract on the horizon and Boyd not likely to see another contract from the Bengals - not to mention the need for some higher end talent with depth in case of injury.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and likely need another LB - with Pratt due up and then Wilson - not sure they will extend both, and I'd have to wager Wilson gets the extension and Bengals will look for a coverage 1st style LB

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am onboard with that. To me, ideally this would be the bomb if our draft fell this way. Now granted, I am more a surface guy looking in, and do not have all the in depth analysis the Bengals do on these guys. Been very happy with them lately in the draft. 2020's draft may have been the greatest draft in Bengals history. One draft like that changes an entire organization.

#31 - Kaiir Elam, CB
#63 - Alec Pierce, WR
#95 - Greg Dulcich, TE
#136 - Cam Jurgens, C
#174 - Matt Araiza, P
#209 - Hassan Haskins, RB
#226 - Michael Clemons, DE
#252 - Kaylon Barnes, CB

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am onboard with that. To me, ideally this would be the bomb if our draft fell this way. Now granted, I am more a surface guy looking in, and do not have all the in depth analysis the Bengals do on these guys. Been very happy with them lately in the draft. 2020's draft may have been the greatest draft in Bengals history. One draft like that changes an entire organization.

#31 - Kaiir Elam, CB
#63 - Alec Pierce, WR
#95 - Greg Dulcich, TE
#136 - Cam Jurgens, C
#174 - Matt Araiza, P
#209 - Hassan Haskins, RB
#226 - Michael Clemons, DE
#252 - Kaylon Barnes, CB
Would take that draft in a heartbeat.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This picking at the very end of the draft deal is a good one.... Feels good knowing our roster isn't dependent upon a rookie making an immediate impact. If I had my preference, I hope they take the best defensive player available. Corner, safety, d-line... Anything to build on that side of the ball. We definitely need more corners for next year, but I have a sense they may be in the veteran late FA market as we get closer to camp.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This picking at the very end of the draft deal is a good one.... Feels good knowing our roster isn't dependent upon a rookie making an immediate impact. If I had my preference, I hope they take the best defensive player available. Corner, safety, d-line... Anything to build on that side of the ball. We definitely need more corners for next year, but I have a sense they may be in the veteran late FA market as we get closer to camp.
Agreed. Only down side is that for some positions/backup needs - you may need to "reach" just a little...a guy who may not be worthy of the 63rd pick in the 2nd round might be a consideration just because of how the board breaks knowing he won't be there with the next pick at 95...It's also a bit harder because in some of the areas of needs for backup, this draft is really light. There aren't too many DT's I really like at the 3-tech (though I think the kid from UConn, despite being a NT, might develop into a monster 3-tech next to Reader - but again, he's not worth the 31st pick, and will be long gone by 63).

I could see the Bengals trying to trade down either in the 1st or 2nd rounds, depending on who is there of course, and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder to try and take advantage of some of that depth for IOL and opening up more room in the other rounds to target more pressing needs for this year/next year at CB, S, LB

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Only down side is that for some positions/backup needs - you may need to "reach" just a little...a guy who may not be worthy of the 63rd pick in the 2nd round might be a consideration just because of how the board breaks knowing he won't be there with the next pick at 95...It's also a bit harder because in some of the areas of needs for backup, this draft is really light. There aren't too many DT's I really like at the 3-tech (though I think the kid from UConn, despite being a NT, might develop into a monster 3-tech next to Reader - but again, he's not worth the 31st pick, and will be long gone by 63).

I could see the Bengals trying to trade down either in the 1st or 2nd rounds, depending on who is there of course, and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder to try and take advantage of some of that depth for IOL and opening up more room in the other rounds to target more pressing needs for this year/next year at CB, S, LB
I guess it all depends on who falls. If we have a good player sitting there with our pick, I think we will just pull the trigger and not worry about an extra pick later. Possibly could trade back from the bottom of the second into the third and pick up and extra 4th.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on who falls. If we have a good player sitting there with our pick, I think we will just pull the trigger and not worry about an extra pick later. Possibly could trade back from the bottom of the second into the third and pick up and extra 4th.
I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop from 31 into the 2nd round. If there is a run on QB's or something, or only 1/2 left from that top group - you could see a team really wanting to get back into the 1st round and ensure that not only do they get their guy, but they get him with a 5th year option.

Could pick up an additional 3rd+ and still end up with a solid player at multiple positions.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop from 31 into the 2nd round. If there is a run on QB's or something, or only 1/2 left from that top group - you could see a team really wanting to get back into the 1st round and ensure that not only do they get their guy, but they get him with a 5th year option.

Could pick up an additional 3rd+ and still end up with a solid player at multiple positions.
I wouldn't be shocked, but I would if one of the players they are targeting is there and them missing out on him to just try to attain another pick. I am not saying we will not do it, because I think it is a viable option, but I don't think it will happen to just get another pick. They are doing it to get another pick because none of their guys are available with their pick.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked, but I would if one of the players they are targeting is there and them missing out on him to just try to attain another pick. I am not saying we will not do it, because I think it is a viable option, but I don't think it will happen to just get another pick. They are doing it to get another pick because none of their guys are available with their pick.
Correct. I didn't mean trade down just to trade down....if there is a guy they really like, then yes you take that guy. But, I've been running through the PFF simulator again since they updated the ratings, and to be honest - I'm not overly thrilled with how that has turned out the majority of the time.

Most of the time you end up with a few guys who are good, but not really (IMO) worth the 31st pick - if you end up with 4-5 guys all grouped together - then you can risk a bit of a drop 5-7 spots, pick up that extra pick and likely still have 2-3 of those guys still around, or you get a bit closer to where some other guys are more accurately rated.

Again - Elam is there - I'm taking Elam 100% of the time. No trade. But, I've run through quite a few where the next best guy is a DE, and not that they can't always use another rush guy - but not likely at 31....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. I didn't mean trade down just to trade down....if there is a guy they really like, then yes you take that guy. But, I've been running through the PFF simulator again since they updated the ratings, and to be honest - I'm not overly thrilled with how that has turned out the majority of the time.

Most of the time you end up with a few guys who are good, but not really (IMO) worth the 31st pick - if you end up with 4-5 guys all grouped together - then you can risk a bit of a drop 5-7 spots, pick up that extra pick and likely still have 2-3 of those guys still around, or you get a bit closer to where some other guys are more accurately rated.

Again - Elam is there - I'm taking Elam 100% of the time. No trade. But, I've run through quite a few where the next best guy is a DE, and not that they can't always use another rush guy - but not likely at 31....
This is my issue when I have messed around with the PFF simulator.... I'm mostly tempted to trade down. The issue with trading down is that we really don't need 10 draft picks. There is likely only going to be roster space for 5 or 6 rookies at most.... And the guys that don't make it need to clear waivers, so it doesn't do you any good to catch some real talent that you can't keep around. On the other hand, this is the type of draft that would be pretty cool to have multiple 3rd or 4th round picks. Lots of guys that seem like they have lots of promise and lots of question marks.... I'd rather increase my odds on one of them hitting by taking extra.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout a trade up with carolina and grab us some 'sauce'. They need picks

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout a trade up with carolina and grab us some 'sauce'. They need picks
Would love Sauce as a Bengal, but the amount of picks required to move up that far would be too much.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elam is my #1 guy. If he's there, I think he should be the pick, hands down. He would fill an immediate need (Let's face it, we do not want Apple starting for a full year again, just not sold on him) and immediately brings depth.

Cine would be the next choice - get him a year behind Bates and then he's ready to replace him next year.

Jones would be a god pick as well. While he's a NT type, he's shown enough that I think he would be a really good 3-tech - especially next to Reader. If he is more of the NT type, then you have a guy who is able to spell Reader at the NT position - and let's face it, Reader makes a ton of coin that is going to be needed in a few years.

Outside of that....I guess it would depend on who is there. Pickens is intriguing as it would give you yet another big time WR, with a potential of 5 years control. Would give you immediate depth at WR with talent - something this roster doesn't actually have.