• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Giants going to clean house this offseason?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that both the Reds and Blue Jays are looking at David Bell for their manager positions. I guess seeing a third generation former big leaguer be successful his first year as manager has teams looking to make it a trend.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that both the Reds and Blue Jays are looking at David Bell for their manager positions. I guess seeing a third generation former big leaguer be successful his first year as manager has teams looking to make it a trend.

Bell is also allegedly a candidate for the Giants managerial opening in 2020, but I can't see that being an factual report until a new GM is hired

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell is also allegedly a candidate for the Giants managerial opening in 2020, but I can't see that being an factual report until a new GM is hired
KNBR has mentioned him as a GM candidate as well. No idea if it was based on anything more that blind speculation, though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to respond to your question... unless sabean and bochy go, there will be no widespread house cleaning. i doubt either will be gone so we'll be in for a few more years like the last 2.5

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was kinda high-profile. He was on the broadcasts quite a bit.
I didn't listen to many broadcasts so I never heard him. I don't remember chatter on here either (again, unless I've just completely forgot). I know not many are fans of him but I'm glad he's back in the fold. I do think he's gotten the raw end of the deal the last few places he's managed.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to respond to your question... unless sabean and bochy go, there will be no widespread house cleaning. i doubt either will be gone so we'll be in for a few more years like the last 2.5
I do think both Sabean and Bochy are gone after the 2019 season, unless there is some miracle season where they make the playoffs. However, like you said, we'll probably get something along the lines of the last 2 and a half seasons so they will be gone. It will be interesting to see how the new GM operates once the slate is clean.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't listen to many broadcasts so I never heard him. I don't remember chatter on here either (again, unless I've just completely forgot). I know not many are fans of him but I'm glad he's back in the fold. I do think he's gotten the raw end of the deal the last few places he's managed.
It has certainly been discussed here, but there wasn’t much to discuss, as there wasn’t any specifics of his deal. It was more along the lines of the org bring in alumni.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think both Sabean and Bochy are gone after the 2019 season, unless there is some miracle season where they make the playoffs. However, like you said, we'll probably get something along the lines of the last 2 and a half seasons so they will be gone. It will be interesting to see how the new GM operates once the slate is clean.

i would agree..but it's ridiculous for the owners to accept treading water for 3.5 yrs just to avoid some tough decisions. no other front running club would do this

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Bell is one of two finalists for the Reds' managerial opening after Joe Girardi removed himself from consideration. The other finalist is Brad Ausmus.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giant coaches & members of the org who are in consideration for managerial jobs:
Hensley Meulens is rumored to be among those considered for the Twins' opening. He is rumored to be in consideration for the Rangers' managerial position.

In addition to the Reds, David Bell is possibly in the running for the Blue Jays' managerial spot. He has also interviewed for the Rangers' spot.

I haven't seen any rumors on who the Orioles may be looking for to replace Showalter.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updates on Bell & Meulens: Bell is considered the favorite of the Reds for their manager's spot while Meulens appears to be out of the running with the Twins.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updates on Bell & Meulens: Bell is considered the favorite of the Reds for their manager's spot while Meulens appears to be out of the running with the Twins.

I don't mind Bell leaving. With a new President and GM coming in, the position of Farm Director is probably one they'd like to have some input on, if not outright change. Bell might be on the way out, regardless.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Bell leaving. With a new President and GM coming in, the position of Farm Director is probably one they'd like to have some input on, if not outright change. Bell might be on the way out, regardless.
He seems to be popular on the managerial interview rotation, so I would assume he gets hired elsewhere (likely the Reds). Remember when his hiring a year ago signaled a major shift in FO philosophy?

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Bell was hired by the Reds this morning

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Bell was hired by the Reds this morning
Hope he does well over there (except when we come to town). I do wonder why he's gotten a lot more attention from teams looking for a new manager than Meulens has gotten.