• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns a Legit Playoff Contender?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sarcasm whatsoever. Assuming health - for all teams - are the Browns a potential playoff contender? It's difficult to think not at this point. Put this lineup in any other teams jerseys and you're likely predicting at least 8-9 wins:

QB: Tyrod Taylor/Baker Mayfield
RB: Nick Chubb/Carlos Hyde/Duke Johnson
WR: Josh Gordon/Jarvis Landry/Antonio Calloway/Corey Coleman
TE: David Njoku/Seth Devalve
OT: Chris Hubbard/Austin Corbett/Shon Coleman
OG: Kevin Zeitler/Joel Bitonio
C: JC Tretter

DE: Myles Garrett/Emmanuel Ogbah/Nate Orchard/Chad Thomas
DT: Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Trent Thompson/Caleb Brantley
LB: Jamie Collins/Mychal Kendricks/Christian Kirksey/Joe Schobert
CB: EJ Gaines/TJ Currie/Denzel Ward/Briean Boddy-Calhoun
S: Demarious Randall/Julius Peppers/Derrick Kindred

There really isn't any position group that is necessarily a glaring weakness. Losing Joe Thomas will hurt, but otherwise, they've made drastic wholesale changes to every position group.

Other than "because they're the Browns", is there any actual legit reason to think this team isn't a playoff contender?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes if Baker Mayfield is very good very quick

Otherwise 5-11

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper they are. The problem is I don't think many believe in the Browns coaching staff at all. They are a super-charged version of the Colts last year with Hue and co at the helm, imo.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That

And it's not the first time they've appeared decent on paper
I wouldn't just say decent. They actually look GOOD and that isn't me just being sarcastic either. That roster is only moving up and has the makings of being above average on each side of the ball. I don't trust Hue and Williams to get the most out of that team for a second, but the talent is getting undeniable. They're a real factor in the AFC 2019 onwards is my guess if they have a competent coach the first time in seemingly a million years.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't just say decent. They actually look GOOD and that isn't me just being sarcastic either. That roster is only moving up and has the makings of being above average on each side of the ball. I don't trust Hue and Williams to get the most out of that team for a second, but the talent is getting undeniable. They're a real factor in the AFC 2019 onwards is my guess if they have a competent coach the first time in seemingly a million years.

Don't dis-agree, especially on the head coach, thought entering a new era, they would have been wise to make a change

At the end of the day, still think Mayfields development dictates their future

Taylor may not kill them, but being another Buffalo shouldn't be the goal

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper they are. The problem is I don't think many believe in the Browns coaching staff at all. They are a super-charged version of the Colts last year with Hue and co at the helm, imo.
The personnel dept is much improved.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait, did monkeys just fly out of your butt?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't dis-agree, especially on the head coach, thought entering a new era, they would have been wise to make a change

At the end of the day, still think Mayfields development dictates their future

Taylor may not kill them, but being another Buffalo shouldn't be the goal
While I agree on Mayfield (I am a big believer) they are much, much better than Buffalo was a year ago as a roster. Buffalo is a tank team that randomly over performed enough to fluke their way into the playoffs in an already depleted AFC and AFC East (granted they have to face the Pats). The Browns might be better at every single position on offense and QB than Buffalo was last year with the exception of RB, and Chubb has a chance to be really good. MAYBE OT.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree on Mayfield (I am a big believer) they are much, much better than Buffalo was a year ago as a roster. Buffalo is a tank team that randomly over performed enough to fluke their way into the playoffs in an already depleted AFC and AFC East (granted they have to face the Pats). The Browns might be better at every single position on offense and QB than Buffalo was last year with the exception of RB, and Chubb has a chance to be really good. MAYBE OT.

Chubb will be Ray Rice minus the wife beating I hope
That's a compliment, his game reminds me so much of Rice

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Tyrod's an average QB, O-line issues and a schedule not conducive to them making it IMO. I think they are a 5/6 win team.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Tyrod's an average QB, O-line issues and a schedule not conducive to them making it IMO. I think they are a 5/6 win team.
They are below average at 1 spot on the OL?

Those aren't guys who all of the sudden suck. I don't believe so anyways. The entire interior is well regarded and Hubbard is coming off a nice season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adding some FA doesnt make a team, theres 30 other guys besides the starters who make up a squad, and the browns other 30 suck