• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are Sports Discussion Boards Dying?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears so to me.

I look at other sites as well, and traffic and comments are down everywhere. (Maybe I’m the one constant denominator!) if you look at the number of posters and posts from 2-3 years ago on this board, we are probably down 50-60%. Orangemane, one of the larger Broncos boards has gone to pot. (No, not THAT pot)
And I don’t think it’s just because the Broncos have had a bad record. I think it’s true for other teams as well.

Why? I have an idea or two, but wondering what you all think.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are.

Massive corporate entities took more control of what was previously a free space of open discussion. Most threads now are started by someone reposting some twitter or corporate shit. Original content is way way down.

Message boards used to be a place where original content was being generated by people from every walk of life. Now most people just parrot what they already saw elsewhere.

Take a look at the main board. You get the same twitter approved opinion from everyone. Nothing original. Original content gets attacked now because they didn't read it anywhere else first.

It's not just message boards, the whole culture deteriorated. Political corporate approved opinions accepted only.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are.

Massive corporate entities took more control of what was previously a free space of open discussion. Most threads now are started by someone reposting some twitter or corporate shit. Original content is way way down.

Message boards used to be a place where original content was being generated by people from every walk of life. Now most people just parrot what they already saw elsewhere.

Take a look at the main board. You get the same twitter approved opinion from everyone. Nothing original. Original content gets attacked now because they didn't read it anywhere else first.

It's not just message boards, the whole culture deteriorated. Political corporate approved opinions accepted only.
TLDR

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Podcasts and Twitter has killed message boards. Not ripping on podcasts love them. OM since new format it hurt. Active posters there only have fire everybody threads.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are.

Great post.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame Twitter - where you post anything and don't care what the thoughtful response might be.

My biggest complaint is that I am too young to feel like a dying breed. ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facebook. There are facebook groups now for fans to gloat and trash each other.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only other message boards that I have been involved with have be music and film boards, and unfortunately, my interest has waned with those too ..

What discourages me about discussion forums in general - whether it be politics, music, religion, etc - and blogs, twitter, and other commentary sites is that people seem to gravitate towards pages that reinforce and comfort with like-minded opinions -- which, to me, ultimately kills any interesting discussion ..

As cliché as it may sound, actually being challenged and broadening the mind is what appeals to me ..

The percentage of people who seem open to learning something new or actually listening to other's views in a respectful way appears very small ..

There's also the god-awful trait that some have that I refer to as "Rabbit Shit Posters" : these posters will drop in for the sole purpose of spouting their opinions, much like some nervous pet rabbit that's been released from it's cage, leaving a trail of pellets in every corner of the room and then disappearing ..

These RSPs never read anyone else's posts, never engage in conversation and basically use the forum as promotion or just a way of relieving themselves before moving to the next place where they do the same .. leaving a trail of shit in their path ..

I suppose ultimately, it is up to the people involved and if you are able to get 8 or 10 good, respectful people together, that will go a long way ...

I think we have a couple of fantastic people here, and for that, I am very thankful ..

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only other message boards that I have been involved with have be music and film boards, and unfortunately, my interest has waned with those too ..

What discourages me about discussion forums in general - whether it be politics, music, religion, etc - and blogs, twitter, and other commentary sites is that people seem to gravitate towards pages that reinforce and comfort with like-minded opinions -- which, to me, ultimately kills any interesting discussion ..

As cliché as it may sound, actually being challenged and broadening the mind is what appeals to me ..

The percentage of people who seem open to learning something new or actually listening to other's views in a respectful way appears very small ..

There's also the god-awful trait that some have that I refer to as "Rabbit Shit Posters" : these posters will drop in for the sole purpose of spouting their opinions, much like some nervous pet rabbit that's been released from it's cage, leaving a trail of pellets in every corner of the room and then disappearing ..

These RSPs never read anyone else's posts, never engage in conversation and basically use the forum as promotion or just a way of relieving themselves before moving to the next place where they do the same .. leaving a trail of shit in their path ..

I suppose ultimately, it is up to the people involved and if you are able to get 8 or 10 good, respectful people together, that will go a long way ...

I think we have a couple of fantastic people here, and for that, I am very thankful ..

KISS sucks

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have become centralized moreso than dying. Reddit, Twitter, facebook, etc. The traditional setup is circling the drain though.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haven’t we always has RSPs though? I mean I can remember a few of those 10-15 years ago. And they didn’t kill a board.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only old people use messageboatds.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the Penalty Box

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are being spread out is all .

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KISS sucks

You just took me back to 1977 when the douchebags from the wrestling team would say the same thing

Or were one of those 12 year old kids who liked Billy Joel ??

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about other bulletin boards, but I confess, what's going on here is all about my fiendish plot to turn this place into my personal blog. I'll be the last man standing.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started out in 1995 RMN and DPO were the Forums for the Broncos. that was about it. The person that ran the RMN forum posted each week as a fan from the opposing team we were facing it riled the Fans up. So there is that aspect.

I have noticed a drop-off at the most popular but hell trying to wade through the most popular web sits was not possible anyhow.

So like someone said 10 posters is a good number and they do need to be rather active.

Maybe we all need to hit opposing teams and rile them up and I am sure that will get them hitting our forums.

I will say this we are pretty crappy right now so I don't think should be talking much smack lol

The Raider fans use to keep our Forums going all in its self.

Some of the problems is there are a plethora of places to talk about what you want to

There are places you have to be invited to talk there that don't show up on web searches.

I know of 3 of those that are Broncos Fans forums. I was invited to one of those My guess is there are more like a 100 of them.

There is private steams were a 100 our so fans interact and I am sure that turns into all week type of thing so like I said this is IMO how these forums start to lose out posters in general.

Tools/Good Film and interaction(Game watching\Fourm built in)/Information needs are key with the next Generation Type of Form. That Would include stuff like Coaches film and the best break down film of prospects and would be pay to be a forum member I a sure.

The DPO wants money to read there paper on line and In my mind they could do all what I am talking about and then up the charges according to what the user wanted but that would mean they go all in.

Denver Broncos.com could also offer a pretty awesome package.

People want the best and Forums are starting to be clunky