• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aquaman (2018)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I won't spoil anything, but I loved it. Just watch it the largest screen you can find.
Great movie.

I've seen it too!

It rocks!!!

Really formulaic, but also really fun and just a great experience, with gorgeous and unique visuals!

Some fun stuff in spoiler tags:

Octopus on drums!!! :drum: :laugh:

Giant enemy crab and crab people! :laugh:

Two months in advance of the film, there have now been several early screenings held.

Early word from some lucky early screeners is that Aquaman is very good and highly-entertaining but represents a large tonal shift for the DCEU: with the earlier "dark," "dreary," "edgy" DCEU films (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League) disliked by critics and getting crushed at the box office by the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Warner Bros. is now trying to mimic the MCU's atmosphere, with the result that Aquaman instead has a "fun," "comedic," "light" mood.

The film is said to be similar in tone to Ant-Man 2: Ant-Man and the Wasp and Thor 3: Ragnarok.

Thor 3: Ragnarok was beyond annoying with how much humor they tried to squeeze in there.

I liked the movie, but the shift in tone for Thor himself was too shocking to not get in the way.

I agree with these comments on Thor 3: Ragnarok. I did not like Ragnarok as much as many critics and much of the general audience did. Thor 2: The Dark World gets a lot of criticism, but I thought had a more suitable tone than Ragnarok did. Ragnarok was fun and very technically well-made, but it went overboard on the jokes, continuously ruining the serious moments, as well as the overall dark story (I mean, Asgard gets destroyed, and the movie treats it like a joke), with excessive and ill-timed jokes.

So when I heard that Aquaman was being compared to Ragnarok, I was actually worried. But while Aquaman has definitely gone full-on MCU -- its overall tone and structure is way more like an MCU film than past DCEU films -- it didn't go as far as Ragnarok, for which I was glad. I think Aquaman strikes the right mix of humor without going "overboard." :tongue:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since somehow people thought Black Panther was above a terrible movie Aquaman should win an Oscar.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is pretty meaningless, but facking reviewers are really biased against DC movies (partly warranted, but this didn't seem to affect Wonder Woman).

There's no way in the world in which these movies (and maybe many others):

Thor
Iron Man 2 (really bad movie)
Iron Man 3 (bad movie)
Ant Man
Ant Man 2

are better than Aquaman. Heck, the "Critics consensus" for Ragnarock is:

Critics Consensus: Exciting, funny, and above all fun, Thor: Ragnarok is a colorful cosmic adventure that sets a new standard for its franchise -- and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This describes Aquaman perfectly, but one gets a 92% tomatometer, while the other merely gets a lukewarm 68%.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Aquaman was pretty freaking awesome, The CGI was beautiful and unlike other DC movies it was actually colorful and bright. Great chemistry between Jason Momoa and Amber Heard, really helped out since they share the most screen time together in the movie. Typical Patrick Wilson as a bad guy villain role but I thought everything overall was extremely well done.

But I definitely recommend everyone seeing Aquaman if you like Superhero movies. I know it’s early but I might put it in my top 2 DC films, possibly even be my favorite.

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny promo shot from The New York Times of a scene in the film:

8vbu9gqmwp521.jpg

NoApologies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is pretty meaningless, but facking reviewers are really biased against DC movies (partly warranted, but this didn't seem to affect Wonder Woman).

There's no way in the world in which these movies (and maybe many others):

Thor
Iron Man 2 (really bad movie)
Iron Man 3 (bad movie)
Ant Man
Ant Man 2

are better than Aquaman. Heck, the "Critics consensus" for Ragnarock is:

Critics Consensus: Exciting, funny, and above all fun, Thor: Ragnarok is a colorful cosmic adventure that sets a new standard for its franchise -- and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This describes Aquaman perfectly, but one gets a 92% tomatometer, while the other merely gets a lukewarm 68%.

Confirmation bias. Critics go in expecting mediocrity from DC, so that's what they see (although, there are definitely flaws there). They have a positive bias towards the MCU, which is why the movies are highly rated, despite also being mediocre.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You politics forum fheggets need to fuck off with yourn gheydom and show some g'damn respect for Aquaman's honor.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suck Satans cock in a hethans Hell, shitbread.
lack of remorse will surely win him over... when he does bow down and answer to your demand 6 months to a year from now... use lots of "fucks" and dont forget to squeeze "shitbread" in there... show 'em who is the real boss!

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You politics forum fheggets need to fuck off with yourn gheydom and show some g'damn respect for Aquaman's honor.
all superheroes are fags.