• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anything Solo

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive, but from a music standpoint I can't think of anything much more useless than a drum solo.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive, but from a music standpoint I can't think of anything much more useless than a drum solo.
I agree with that to a point about certain drum solos in some genres. They tend to get a bit tedious too often, and they're basically used as a way to mainly showcase that particular band member's chops...which is okay on it's face imho.
But in Jazz, drum solos are actually a key element of a composition, and the improvisation aspect of it is done in a way to communicate the direction and tempo of that piece of music.
It's also a very important part of latin jazz, salsa (afro/caribbean) music, as it becomes the main rhythm driver within.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention with respect to latin jazz/salsa /afro-cuban music, the drums being used for that aren't the kits or traps per se...but mainly the traditional timbales, and usually hand drums, such as congas, bongos & djembes.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howz about a solo guitar player (not to be confused with a guitar players solo).