• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone remember who Russ Conway was?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question for the older fellas in the hockey threads. Russ passed away Monday(?) at the age of 70 at his home in Haverhill, MA after a lengthy battle with coronary disease. For those of you are struggling to remember who the guy was and why I mention his passing, from the link;

"Conway started at The Eagle-Tribune as a co-op student from Northeastern University. Among his duties was covering the up-and-coming Boston Bruins. It was an assignment that Conway cherished, beginning in 1967, as he built relationships with members of the team, particularly a young defenseman named Bobby Orr whose birthday was only a month apart from Conway’s.

“It’s a sad day,” said Orr on Tuesday afternoon upon hearing the news. "He was a friend to all of us. He’s going to be missed.”

Conway’s relationship with Orr, which continued after his Hall-of-Fame career with the Bruins had ended, was integral in Conway looking into stories of retired hockey players not receiving proper benefits. Conway's meticulous reporting uncovered illegal activity in the NHL Players Association by its longtime executive director, Alan Eagleson, also an agent for many players.

One of the most powerful and well recognized people in the sport, Eagleson was brought down and charged by U.S. and Canadian authorities as a result of Conway’s work. Conway's subsequent book, "Game Misconduct: Alan Eagleson and the Corruption of Hockey," revealed that Eagleson had deceived Orr into leaving the Bruins for the Chicago Blackhawks at the end of his career.
"

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from the link;

"Conway’s efforts in both pro hockey and auto racing were recognized with hall of fame inductions in the respective sports.

In 1999, Conway was awarded the prestigious Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award for journalists in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Wayne Gretkzy was inducted, as a player, in the same ceremony.

In 2006, a year after his retirement from The Eagle-Tribune as sports editor, Conway was inducted into the New England Racing Hall of Fame. He had helped promote over 1,000 events and more than 10,000 races."

I met Russ on several occasions through a good friend of mine was an extremely successful short track racer some years ago. Russ Conway had promoted many events that my buddy raced in and they became good friends over the years.

Kinda curious if anyone else remembers him?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the mod for this forum? I was certain that I was in the hockey forum when I posted this and just noticed it is in the NFL forum :gaah:

@fordman84

@HaroldSeattle

@Hook'Em0608

If one of you fellas would be kind enough to put this in the NHL forum where it belongs, I'd appreciate it :nod:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do indeed remember the name - I haven't read the book "Game Misconduct", but I'm going to do so as soon as possible.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the great Robert Gordon Orr would ever play for a shit stain franchise like the Blackhawks. Good one.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the great Robert Gordon Orr would ever play for a shit stain franchise like the Blackhawks. Good one.

animation.gif