• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone remember when the NFL was about football and not the Soap Opera that Roger Goodell created?

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss those times...bring back Tagliabue.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Social media and the broadcast deals dealing with billions has turned all pro-sports into day time drama. But I do agree that Goodell is too obsessed with revenue generation and it's turning the sport into a joke.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it probably has more to do with 24 hour coverage and increased exposure. They have to come up with shit to talk about b/c the NFL is so popular now, even year round. Blaming Goodell is more fun though...I guess.

petemily

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look a little deeper. It's easy to blame the commissioner if you can't think for yourself.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss those times...bring back Tagliabue.

RG takes a lot of flak from fans and rightfully so for his mishandling of player discipline due primarily due to inconsistency.

But, imo the NFL commish job is basically that of a highly paid puppet.

Those times...RG has been asked to oversee and enforce rule changes...he didn't change the rules...some attorneys got to the owners and said , hey listen, you guys have a problem brewing here with head trauma and it gonna cost a lot of money...owners told RG...go fix this.

Players getting in legal trouble off the field...owners saw what happened in MLB and the NBA (street drugs run a muck , PEDs, etc.) Owner told RG...hey, we can't have the players running the asylum here...go fix this.

Bottomline...RG is a front man for the owners...if Tagliabue had to reside over the same issues, you would hope that he'd be more even handed on player discipline, but chances are we wouldn't like him either.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottomline...RG is a front man for the owners...if Tagliabue had to reside over the same issues, you would hope that he'd be more even handed on player discipline, but chances are we wouldn't like him either.

as he should have! Enough of being a puppet for the league. You're the commish, period!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a time when we praised athletes for great accomplishments.

Now it is all about steroids, cheating, and how overrated the athletes are.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more social media, and the 24 hour news cycle. People are looking for news. So when an athlete tweets something the fans will banter over its meaning for hours on a message board.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember when the NFL was about football and not the Soap Opera that Roger Goodell created?

Honestly no. It's been a total shit show with Goofdell in the commissioner's office.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing in the "Commissioner's Manual" about players knocking out their wives on camera or players beating their children bloody. Most of the crap Goodell is catching the most heat for are things that have no precedence. And in this world of instantaneous global news people expect unreasonable instantaneous results tailored precisely to their own desires.

Goodell is forced to balance the needs of the owners, NFL communities, players, players' families, NFL sponsors, fans and media on a hair-thin high-wire as the whole world throws rocks at him. I feel bad for the guy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as he should have! Enough of being a puppet for the league. You're the commish, period!

Yeah but...the owners sign your $40 mil salary.

That's the biggest crux of this whole thing right there...how can the players EVER get a non-bias commish if the salary is funded by the owners?

Would you go against the people that sign your check? I wouldn't...I'd do what the owners want and take the abuse from the fans just like RG is doing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make the NFL a democracy and let the players vote for changes too the game....Their the ones out they're putting their butts on the line hitting each other on Sunday.... I get tired of people in suits and ties who have probably never played a snap of football making decisions about the game....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing in the "Commissioner's Manual" about players knocking out their wives on camera or players beating their children bloody. Most of the crap Goodell is catching the most heat for are things that have no precedence. And in this world of instantaneous global news people expect unreasonable instantaneous results tailored precisely to their own desires.

Goodell is forced to balance the needs of the owners, NFL communities, players, players' families, NFL sponsors, fans and media on a hair-thin high-wire as the whole world throws rocks at him. I feel bad for the guy.

They don't but...you really have to hope that RG did not see the Ray Rice tape in detail before giving him 2 games...then going all knee jerk after it came out really made the commish office look bad imo.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goodell3.jpg

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone remember when the NFL was a gladiator sport with real contact? I miss those times.... Bring back hard hits on crossing routes and REAL contact.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make the NFL a democracy and let the players vote for changes too the game....Their the ones out they're putting their butts on the line hitting each other on Sunday.... I get tired of people in suits and ties who have probably never played a snap of football making decisions about the game....

Interesting.

To be honest Idt alone players can handle it, but with some professional help...to you point about the suits...i really wonder how many owners really even like football...I think some are in it just to make more cash.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but...the owners sign your $40 mil salary.

That's the biggest crux of this whole thing right there...how can the players EVER get a non-bias commish if the salary is funded by the owners?

Would you go against the people that sign your check? I wouldn't...I'd do what the owners want and take the abuse from the fans just like RG is doing.

Yeah that is a good point, however Goodell is afraid of that and Tagliabo seemed to not really care.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

To be honest Idt alone players can handle it, but with some professional help...to you point about the suits...i really wonder how many owners really even like football...I think some are in it just to make more cash.

Not many... I think most are definitely in it for the money...