• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone remember back when the NFL was about football?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL was better when women were just cheerleaders instead of fans, advocates or had influence.

And MLB is a completely different set of circumstances. The government got involved with them which caused a change with PED's. The US government has been the main reason most changes have occurred in the MLB. The helmet rule was implemented because it nearly killed a guy, much like the change in the 20's. And the blocking rule is a product of baseball's biggest problem which is the fading participation of baseball from Americans. Had it been some scrub catcher then nobody would've cared, but it was an American star.

HallofFame

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once upon a time, sports like NFL football were an escape for me. As the years go by, following sports leagues like the NFL feels more and more like following the Maury and Oprah shows. I'm getting burned out from hearing about all these social and political issues all the time. Just give the guys appropriate suspensions right away and be done with it.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Whatever happened to the game that bears the good and decent name on the Super Bowl Championship Trophy?!

Anyone who thinks the likes of Lombardi would be putting up with these distractions (domestic violence, substance abuse, referencing fellow teammates and a whole race of people in a demeaning manner with the N-word (Eagles), bullying a fellow teammate (Miami), etc., al would have another thing coming. Lombardi's mantra of G-d, family, community and then self maybe something some of these prima donnas may want to take to heart.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying for Sunday Ticket doesn't make you any more of a fan. I sure as hell don't. I use Wiziwig to watch NFL RedZone and to watch 49ers games from the east coast.

Agreed. Just saying that I haven't spent, wasted, or given any of my money to the NFL in any manner in a long time and that isn't gonna change.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the collisions rule? I personally liked that rule change, but I know there was a lot of opposition to it. I just don't see a home plate collision as a baseball play, so I don't think it took anything away from the integrity of the game. Just my opinion.

Yeah I always thought letting a defender physically block the plate was strange thing to allow.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Whatever happened to the game that bears the good and decent name on the Super Bowl Championship Trophy?!

Anyone who thinks the likes of Lombardi would be putting up with these distractions (domestic violence, substance abuse, referencing fellow teammates and a whole race of people in a demeaning manner with the N-word (Eagles), bullying a fellow teammate (Miami), etc., al would have another thing coming. Lombardi's mantra of G-d, family, community and then self maybe something some of these prima donnas may want to take to heart.

Unfortunately, it would be the same as long as the money is the same as it is today...back in Lombardi's day players made $30-40k a year maybe and had 2nd jobs...totally different animal today...he probably would've gotten so frustrated he would've quit coaching is my guess.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A. has something to say about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardi ran a tight ship for sure, but they had domestic violence (women rarely reported it back then), substance abuse issues (notorious drunks, for instance), there was probably even some bullying and undoubtedly racial insensitivity. Lombardi would adjust and his players would damn sure adjust to him as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has like 10 simultaneous shows on at all times. It's easy to think they should segregate the content a little more. Titling a show as being purely about on-field NFL plays, or having it focus exclusively on X's and O's or something seems like a great idea. Then you see the ratings for shows like Playbook and realize what people say they want isn't what they really want.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has like 10 simultaneous shows on at all times. It's easy to think they should segregate the content a little more. Titling a show as being purely about on-field NFL plays, or having it focus exclusively on X's and O's or something seems like a great idea. Then you see the ratings for shows like Playbook and realize what people say they want isn't what they really want.

Good point. Even a survey of the topics discussed on this board suggests to me that many NFL fans are interested in much more than just the football aspects of the league.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Terrell owens "suicide attempt" and brett favre fake retirements changed the way football has been covered

HallofFame

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, it would be the same as long as the money is the same as it is today...back in Lombardi's day players made $30-40k a year maybe and had 2nd jobs...totally different animal today...he probably would've gotten so frustrated he would've quit coaching is my guess.

Yes, your perception here--as it applies to Lombardi's set ways--may have clashed with the modern day challenges.