• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone here use a Big Green Egg to smoke with?

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Are cedar planks from China? I didn't think China exported trees/lumber.

Not the planks per say, but there really isn't anything that doesn't come by way of there anymore.
Actually just pulled some cedar plank wrap papers from my pantry, and they say....
Materials from Canada, made in China........go figure.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you get cedar boards at HD or Lowes that isnt' rough cut? Don't you need the planks to be nice and smooth?

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can go to eastern Oklahoma and chop down red cedar trees by the dozen, and the farmers would thank me for it.

You should totally do that, and sell them as hand-hewn cedar planks. Yuppies would be all over that ish!

Can you get cedar boards at HD or Lowes that isnt' rough cut? Don't you need the planks to be nice and smooth?

Dad has a ton of tools, he could cut planks down easily. He's just not sure if a) it's healthy and b) if it is, if it's cost effective.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should totally do that, and sell them as hand-hewn cedar planks. Yuppies would be all over that ish!

Dad has a ton of tools, he could cut planks down easily. He's just not sure if a) it's healthy and b) if it is, if it's cost effective.

My cousin does that...along with cutting oak for firewood. Too much work for me. :D

mustangwatkins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that I've seen and heard Rachael Ray and Martha say that they just picked up some Cedar at the local Hardware/Lumbar on a few episodes. Ive honestly never used the cedar plank method. I just grill it with lemon / olive oil in my basket. Here is my Marinade

1 cup Soy
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Ginger
1 cup Brown Sugar

Mix n marinade Salmon for 2hrs at least.....then grill to prefered temp. .....Good stuff

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally use a Traeger to smoke ribs, turkey etc... I've had meat from a Green Egg and it's really, really good. Thing is like magic.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything gas in an abomination. Man up and use charcoal. Its a bit harder to cook with, but once you get it...

Agreed, there's nothing like wood heat and smoke, whether your cooking food or trying to heat your home. One look at how the pro barbecuers do it will answer that question.:suds:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, there's nothing like wood heat and smoke, whether your cooking food or trying to heat your home. One look at how the pro barbecuers do it will answer that question.:suds:

yup. I wish it would stop raining. I miss my grill. I haven't cooked on it in 2 weeks.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I have an upright smoker, but typically just smoke everything on the Weber. Cuts the cooking time in half.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an upright smoker, but typically just smoke everything on the Weber. Cuts the cooking time in half.

I gots me a weber performer. I've had it for about 5 years now and I will never grill on anything else ..... I don't think. The weber is awesome. I had heard people talk about them forever and thought how great could they really be, but after getting one I see now. They're one good cooking grill.