• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody watch pack vs Texans?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you did, how did Love look. I didn't watch the game and the box score looked ok...but did it appear he knew what he was doing and more importantly, did he look like he has the makings of an actual NFL QB?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attended the game. Grading him is kinda tricky.

He was accurate with his throws and made good reads. He certainly wasn't reckless with the ball. The second team offensive line in front of him played poorly, so he had to do more quick checkdowns than we would've liked. He didn't look rattled in the pocket. He moved around in the pocket pretty well given his less-than-adequate time to make decisions. He did get the ball knocked out of his hands on a throw, though, so perhaps tightening up his release or improving his environmental awareness might be on the agenda. He pushed the ball downfield only once (in his 2 quarters of action) to Sternberger and it was a well-thrown ball.

Overall, he did nothing to make me think we're screwed when Rodgers leaves.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attended the game. Grading him is kinda tricky.

He was accurate with his throws and made good reads. He certainly wasn't reckless with the ball. The second team offensive line in front of him played poorly, so he had to do more quick checkdowns than we would've liked. He didn't look rattled in the pocket. He moved around in the pocket pretty well given his less-than-adequate time to make decisions. He did get the ball knocked out of his hands on a throw, though, so perhaps tightening up his release or improving his environmental awareness might be on the agenda. He pushed the ball downfield only once (in his 2 quarters of action) to Sternberger and it was a well-thrown ball.

Overall, he did nothing to make me think we're screwed when Rodgers leaves.
I agree with this. He had some serious zip on the ball when he trusted his read and the seam shot to Sternberger was really nice. The OL play was dreadful and I hate that his shoulder got hurt because of it.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the replay of the game...yikes. Let’s hope non of the back ups on either side of the ball have to play. Special teams looks horrible as usual so no change there. Thank God they got rid of Jackson. He was treated like a red headed step child by Houston. All in all it was a typical pre season game. Put a side the fact that a good number of players from this game will be looking for employment when the season starts but it looked like a business as usual for the Packer organization, bad special teams, O and D line back ups looking like wet paper bags and sloppy play. The only bright side I saw was Funchess looks legit and should help out nicely.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just turned on the jets game and the special teams gave up a huuuge kick return right after GB went down the field on a long drive and scored. I guess some things will never change. Also, I’m still scratching my head as to the hiring of Barry as DC. This defense was bad on 3rd down last year, now they will be worse. With the Rodgers drama, the DC pick, unable to evaluate good talent, 3rd down defense and horrible special teams I predict a .500 season at best. I truly believe last year was their best chance at a ring. Yea, yea I know I don’t know what I’m talking about. After this season is over you will say, “Damn, Mack was right!”

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just turned on the jets game and the special teams gave up a huuuge kick return right after GB went down the field on a long drive and scored. I guess some things will never change. Also, I’m still scratching my head as to the hiring of Barry as DC. This defense was bad on 3rd down last year, now they will be worse. With the Rodgers drama, the DC pick, unable to evaluate good talent, 3rd down defense and horrible special teams I predict a .500 season at best. I truly believe last year was their best chance at a ring. Yea, yea I know I don’t know what I’m talking about. After this season is over you will say, “Damn, Mack was right!”

Yeah, the Packers special teams is probably still inconsistent, but one thing that IS consistent is @Mack's pessimism. :thumb:

• I don't think we'll have an issue with Rodgers.
    • 1) He plays his best when he's pissed off.
    • 2) He's playing for a new contract now.
  • RE: DC/Defense - I don't know if the new guy is going to bring anything different. We've only seen two preseason games of guys who aren't going to see the field in the regular season. The biggest problem with Pettine's D was that he played a "don't give up a deep play" defense, but consistently gave up the underneath stuff that allowed teams to march down the field pretty easily. If the first two preseason games are any indication it looks like more of the same; but it could be that the new guy is intentionally playing a vanilla defense to analyze talent at a base level and not tip off any tendencies to opposing scouts. I'm holding the "we'll see" card on this one for now.
  • Let's look at some of the positives now:
    • We've still got 3x MVP Aaron Rodgers
    • We've still got one of the best WRs in the league in Adams
    • The WR corps is deeper this year with Funchess and Cobb added back into the mix
    • We've got one of the most productive RBs in the league over the past few years in Jones.
    • We've still got one of the best starting offensive lines in the league and a couple of the best offensive linemen at their positions.
    • We've still got one of the best CBs in the league in Alexander.
    • We've still got young guys like Savage and Gary on D with potential to be elite at their positions and this year could be their arrival party.
  • Your "unable to evaluate good talent" comment is simply false/hyperbole. With the exception of Funchess, every guy I cited above was a Packers draftee. The Packers do a good job of drafting and developing talent. If there's a fault, it would be an over-reliance on drafting & developing.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Packers special teams is probably still inconsistent, but one thing that IS consistent is @Mack's pessimism. :thumb:

ding ding ding* we have a winner! Lol. I agree RP. I’ve been watching this team for a long time and I let my emotions get the best of me at times but I like to think I know a lil bit.
  • I don't think we'll have an issue with Rodgers.
    • 1) He plays his best when he's pissed off.
      Agreed he is a force when he has a chip on his shoulder but that chip fell off when they won the SB. It will be interesting to see if that chip is back on.
    • 2) He's playing for a new contract now.
  • RE: DC/Defense - I don't know if the new guy is going to bring anything different. We've only seen two preseason games of guys who aren't going to see the field in the regular season. The biggest problem with Pettine's D was that he played a "don't give up a deep play" defense, but consistently gave up the underneath stuff that allowed teams to march down the field pretty easily. If the first two preseason games are any indication it looks like more of the same; but it could be that the new guy is intentionally playing a vanilla defense to analyze talent at a base level and not tip off any tendencies to opposing scouts. I'm holding the "we'll see" card on this one for now.

• I’ve heard and read nothing but bad about Barry. The biggest knock is he is horrible on 3rd down. I know it was a preseason game but I saw exactly that, horrible 3rd down defense. We will see when the regular season starts. If they continue to suck on 3rd down, I’m going to blow a gasket and put the sole blame on mgt and their inept ability to get the right people.
  • Let's look at some of the positives now:
    • We've still got 3x MVP Aaron Rodgers
    • We've still got one of the best WRs in the league in Adams
    • The WR corps is deeper this year with Funchess and Cobb added back into the mix
    • We've got one of the most productive RBs in the league over the past few years in Jones.
    • We've still got one of the best starting offensive lines in the league and a couple of the best offensive linemen at their positions.
    • We've still got one of the best CBs in the league in Alexander.
    • We've still got young guys like Savage and Gary on D with potential to be elite at their positions and this year could be their arrival party.
  • Your "unable to evaluate good talent" comment is simply false/hyperbole. With the exception of Funchess, every guy I cited above was a Packers draftee. The Packers do a good job of drafting and developing talent. If there's a fault, it would be an over-reliance on drafting & developing.

• There’s an old expression: Throw enough mud at the wall and something is bound to stick. Yes, they have hit a few keepers but I think they got it wrong more than they got it right over the years. I’m not going to do the research but I honestly believe since the last SB GB won they have drafted more duds than studs. I could be wrong but…

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mack
There’s an old expression: Throw enough mud at the wall and something is bound to stick. Yes, they have hit a few keepers but I think they got it wrong more than they got it right over the years. I’m not going to do the research but I honestly believe since the last SB GB won they have drafted more duds than studs. I could be wrong but…

On average, a team drafts about 8 players per draft. 7 rounds and 1 compensatory. In a given draft, most teams hope to get two legit starters and a couple others who are capable of contributing meaningfully and pretty much everyone falls short of that. Point being, pretty much every team in the league goes about 50% or worse on draft hits.

For the Packers, it seems worse than it is. Everyone expects their first round pick to be their best pick and the Packers have done their fare share of whiffing on first rounders, but the Packers have been one of the best in the league at finding keepers in rounds 4+.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mack

On average, a team drafts about 8 players per draft. 7 rounds and 1 compensatory. In a given draft, most teams hope to get two legit starters and a couple others who are capable of contributing meaningfully and pretty much everyone falls short of that. Point being, pretty much every team in the league goes about 50% or worse on draft hits.

For the Packers, it seems worse than it is. Everyone expects their first round pick to be their best pick and the Packers have done their fare share of whiffing on first rounders, but the Packers have been one of the best in the league at finding keepers in rounds 4+.
Yea, I understand that and I believe I’m getting my reference from GB’s first rounders and considering they have been drafting defense heavy for several years now and they haven’t been able to put together a dominant D tells me that the right personnel haven’t been added and I put part of the blame on who’s evaluating talent coming out of college. I get it. Nobody has a crystal ball but I still feel they’re getting it wrong more than they’re getting it right. I also have a bad feeling the Barry hire will be a mistake but who knows.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched some of the GB/Bills game…‍ I’ll say it again, if any of the back ups have to play, specially on defense, the Packers are screwed. Once again, the 3rd down defense is beyond horrible. Doesn’t matter the distance opposing offenses will convert. In the defense’s defense, they played against the Bills starting offense in the first half. I think the biggest concern is the defensive philosophy of GB. Hopefully Im wrong but I dont see this defense taking a step forward this season. I’m not basing it on the preseason games, I’m basing it on the new DC and the philosophy.

positive note: the o-line looked better in this game in the first half. That is all.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I’ve seen, I am pretty worried about the defense. We’re used to that by now though. The thing that keeps me going is how other teams should be scared of our offense, which we are also used too when healthy. So, I think we’re in for some cardiac classics for yet another year!

Another Packers season soon though! Excitement!

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll still take any iteration of defense over Capers’ “we’re up by a touchdown, time to play Prevent”. That was nearly a decade of fun there. Lol

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take the over on that

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted! I just got a feeling the only bright spot on the defense will be Alexander.
I think by week 5 or so their 1st rounder will be starting because King will be hurt, as usual, and he will struggle for a couple weeks and then will come on. Their D will round into form and we will be in good shape heading into Dec...and beyond

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think by week 5 or so their 1st rounder will be starting because King will be hurt, as usual, and he will struggle for a couple weeks and then will come on. Their D will round into form and we will be in good shape heading into Dec...and beyond
King was a liability last year and i dont see that changing so maybe the 1st rounder starts sooner than week 5.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. Good start to my prediction. Got their ass whooped by a Jameison Winston led Aints team. Who do they have next week? Ahh, doesn’t matter, it’s gonna be the same shit as today.