• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any chance that the NFL creates a salary cap exemption because of the Pandemic?

Any chance that the NFL creates a salary cap exemption because of the Pandemic?

• 1. Yes, Absolutely they will

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 2. No, not a chance

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 3. They should, but they won't

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 4. They will consider it

• 5. They won't even consider it

• 6. I have other thoughts and I'll post them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of teams in cap hell and some teetering on the outskirts of the same. Due to the numbing effects of this ongoing pandemic, the NFL salary cap fell $22.2 million or 11.2 percent from 2020. The question now facing the NFL and NFLPA is what to do about it, if anything. Here's the story:

2021 NFL salary cap conundrum: Three major consequences of ...

www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salary-cap-conundrum-three-major-consequences-of-projected-decrease
www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salary-cap-conundrum-three-major-consequences-of-projected-de…

...And here's a look at the current salary cap situation:

1613397944917.png1613397984000.png

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many other cheap ass owners (in addition to the Bengals) are there?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will consider it, but they should not do it.

First, it is wrong to those who have been more responsible.

Most importantly, it is part of the CBA. The players have negotiated themselves raises in good times...now it is time for them to give back so to speak in rough times.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or we could go with the Buddy Ryan Credo , you can a 50% or a 100% pay cut

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Covid was not on anybody's radar when the decisions that put some teams in cap hell were made.

But, why does the NFL feel the need to reduce the cap? Is it because revenues have dropped so much? My understanding is that part of that is the NFL's decisions on Social Justice and Virtue signalling that turned off fans and cost the league TV revenue.

My guess is that the big spenders would like to push the cap up, but the owners without huge disposable incomes would resist that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Covid was not on anybody's radar when the decisions that put some teams in cap hell were made.

But, why does the NFL feel the need to reduce the cap? Is it because revenues have dropped so much? My understanding is that part of that is the NFL's decisions on Social Justice and Virtue signalling that turned off fans and cost the league TV revenue.

My guess is that the big spenders would like to push the cap up, but the owners without huge disposable incomes would resist that.
well that is all a part of it i am sure however you opened the political door (tiny bit ) so dont be surprised if i have to squash it . and these vultures will pounce on it . so if any of you guys want to go down political lane i suggest PM's . but we arent going to have it here on the open forum just so you know .

thanks for the post debbie does

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*Looks at sporting revenues across the board*

I don't think you understand very well, but whatevs

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody felt sorry for this franchise when they were warned but not forbidden on exactly what or what not do in FA spending.
We adapted and moved forward, these other teams put themselves in this situation, now pay the price and lose some of your stars.
Muhhahahhhahhaaa

HTTWFT

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the NFL there are two sides of their financial situation and both asks for sacrifices from the other perspective.

On the one hand you have owners who are being asked to further invest in their business venture that's taken a hit out of extraordinary circumstances. On the other side, that same extraordinary circumstance seems to demand sacrifice from players who deserve raises but cannot get them because the economic hit won't allow it. Intransigence by either or both sides will only further disinterest a public that's been forced to focus on real life choices at the expense of their leisure time.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the NFL there are two sides of their financial situation and both asks for sacrifices from the other perspective.

On the one hand you have owners who are being asked to further invest in their business venture that's taken a hit out of extraordinary circumstances. On the other side, that same extraordinary circumstance seems to demand sacrifice from players who deserve raises but cannot get them because the economic hit won't allow it. Intransigence by either or both sides will only further disinterest a public that's been forced to focus on real life choices at the expense of their leisure time.

The players do not deserve a raise. Their income is based on revenue that they claim to bring in.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players do not deserve a raise. Their income is based on revenue that they claim to bring in.
I'll agree to this on one condition, and that is, that owners don't get their usual share of whatever revenue that was taken in.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If sports revenues have NOT fallen significantly, then why is there a need to reduce the cap by so much?
You're assigning blame for loss of revenue to something that you THINK is the cause. Something that I disagreed with.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree to this on one condition, and that is, that owners don't get their usual share of whatever revenue that was taken in.

Their shares are based on percentages.

This is why owners should and do make more money. When things don’t go well, players don’t lose money. Owners do...a lot of money.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their shares are based on percentages.

This is why owners should and do make more money. When things don’t go well, players don’t lose money. Owners do...a lot of money.
Outside of a pandemic stricken season, there hasn't been a time in the SB era, when the owners lost money. I'll bet that despite it all, their percentage of whatever was made this past year, hasn't changed. Further if/since this hasn't changed for the owners why should it change for the players? They too get a percentage of revenues, let's not forget that lil' ole' collective bargaining agreement.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of a pandemic stricken season, there hasn't been a time in the SB era, when the owners lost money. I'll bet that despite it all, their percentage of whatever was made this past year, hasn't changed. Further if/since this hasn't changed for the owners why should it change for the players? They too get a percentage of revenues, let's not forget that lil' ole' collective bargaining agreement.

Their percentage hasn’t changed...it is literally part of the CBA.

The percentages for the players have t gone down this season. The revenue the league took in did.

If the league made a billion (I know it is more), and the players got 60% of the revenue and the owners 40%...

then the league this year makes 800 million, the players get 60% of that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their percentage hasn’t changed...it is literally part of the CBA.

The percentages for the players have t gone down this season. The revenue the league took in did.

If the league made a billion (I know it is more), and the players got 60% of the revenue and the owners 40%...

then the league this year makes 800 million, the players get 60% of that.
Exactly! Both owners and players alike should take the hit this year, but this veers away from the original point of whether or not there should be an exception this year based upon extenuating circumstances.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! Both owners and players alike should take the hit this year, but this veers away from the original point of whether or not there should be an exception this year based upon extenuating circumstances.

No because you don’t know when and if the league will truly recover. Believe it or not, there are people who turned off football because of the politics.