• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anthony Davis has been swallowed by the corp. machine

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD on trade demand: I'm 'CEO of my business'

"All the media coverage [is] around me, and now I'm getting a chance to take over my career and say what I want to say and do what I want to do," Davis said on an episode of "The Shop with LeBron James" that aired on HBO on Friday. "So now you see everybody [saying], 'All right, I see AD changing.' Everybody's telling me, 'You're growing up. It's about time to take care of your business, take care of your career.' So now, as a player, as the CEO of my own business, I've got the power. I'm doing what I want to do and not what somebody tells me to do."

"Seven years in the league, nobody's ever said anything. No media, no fan, not a fan, not a friend, not nobody's ever said anything negative about AD," James said. "But you can tell, when the narrative changed, when you don't do what they want you to do. That's why we've got to continue to control the narrative too and continue to back each other up because they have so many people at the top of these food chains that will control your narrative."

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respect your contract is all I ask. Yes, stars deal with fabulists in the media and all sorts of parasites. If you don't want to respect your contracts, pressure the union to get the CBA changed so you don't have multi-year ones.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respect your contract is all I ask. Yes, stars deal with fabulists in the media and all sorts of parasites. If you don't want to respect your contracts, pressure the union to get the CBA changed so you don't have multi-year ones.

He is respecting his contract.

He asked to be traded. And he also made it clear that he would play every second he was allowed to while still in NO or wherever he winds up next season. He is playing 20 minutes a game and posting remarkable numbers given that time. He isn't complaining about his role or mailing it in.

What people fail to realize is that NO will be infinitely better off by trading AD this summer than if he simply strung it out and walked away for nothing after next season. While Davis' timing sucked, a superstar who plans to leave in FA is helping his team more than hurting when he asks to be dealt.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Lebron both look horrible here, no way around it. Sorry guys but your businesses require fans of every team to buy in, not just the ones you want to play for. They can act like it’s theur business all they want, it’s not, they are part of a union and when you are part of a union you don’t have a business.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Lebron both look horrible here, no way around it. Sorry guys but your businesses require fans of every team to buy in, not just the ones you want to play for. They can act like it’s theur business all they want, it’s not, they are part of a union and when you are part of a union you don’t have a business.
A fair point, but tlance is right. worse for NO is say nothing and just leave after next season.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know the guy is talented but he comes off as a pri madonna in this situation. I would have handed it differently than he has.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The "business" is, "Fuck everyone but me."

This is why I never attend NBA games anymore. It's a league of mostly primo donnas.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George wanted out. He did it flawlessly.
He did it mostly behind closed doors in the OFFSEASON with full transparency and cooperation.
Although he favored LA, he was open to other suitors as well. At no point in time did he hold any franchise hostage.
Both his old team and his current team are the better for it.

Davis wanted out. He did it the worst possible way.
He blabbed to every reporter MIDSEASON. He came out swinging wildly with zero contingency.
He tried to very public force the issue to a single team and insulted the other 29 teams in the process.
And now he SHOULD be paying the price. He looked like a fucking idiot and dragged the Lakers down as well.

No sympathy for a guy who did it the worst possible way.
all the while with the gravitas of a single first round playoff series win in his entire 7 fucking years of so-called greatness.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did it mostly behind closed doors in the OFFSEASON with full transparency and cooperation.
Although he favored LA, he was open to other suitors as well. At no point in time did he hold any franchise hostage.

He blabbed to every reporter MIDSEASON. He came out swinging wildly with zero contingency.
He tried to very public force the issue to a single team and insulted the other 29 teams in the process.
And now he SHOULD be paying the price. He looked like a fucking idiot and dragged the Lakers down as well.

all the while with the gravitas of a single first round playoff series win in his entire 7 fucking years of so-called greatness.

All fair points.

I hate the way he did and the timing of it too.

But I do think most of the blame for NO's lack of success needs to be directed at the front office. Aside from the Jrue Holiday trade, was their another move they made during Davis' tenure that actually worked as a positive for more than a half season?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I blame Rich Paul more than AD. I don't think AD wanted to handle it publicly, but Rich Paul wanted to get him to the Lakers before the off-season when other teams could beat the Lakers offer. So, he tried to bully the Pels into trading him.

I have said before that if it were handled quietly, behind closed doors, I think AD may very well be a Laker right now and it would have cost less that the ridiculous reported last offer from the Lakers. Instead, you had Pop telling them not to do it and the Celtics telling them to just hold on until the summer. I think this, combined with the embarrassment of doing it publicly, emboldened the Pels to stand their ground.

Make no mistake, I'm not absolving AD or the Lakers of their fair share of the blame. After all, Rich Paul works for AD and AD as the "CEO of his company" should have spoken up and told Paul not to handle it publicly.

I think Magic and Pelinka would liked to have handled it quietly too, but either didn't stop it or didn't get the chance to and when things started spinning out of control, they didn't have the experience to know how to put a stop to it.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly... it certainly looks and sounds and smells like AD is fast friends with LeBron... has an attitude that is very similar to LeBron's... and that AD is gonna want to play with LeBron as soon as he is able to take command of that decision.

I'm honestly ok if the Celtics don't get AD.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was going to be offered the super max this offseason. The owners made it so that it can be offered 1 year before free agency, in order to keep stars from leaving. In the end he just pushed up an announcement he would have made at the end of the season anyway.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was going to be offered the super max this offseason. The owners made it so that it can be offered 1 year before free agency, in order to keep stars from leaving. In the end he just pushed up an announcement he would have made at the end of the season anyway.
Fair enough on those fronts...

... that being said, everything could have been done without the circus sideshow shenanigans that Davis and his "camp" obviously engaged in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly... it certainly looks and sounds and smells like AD is fast friends with LeBron... has an attitude that is very similar to LeBron's... and that AD is gonna want to play with LeBron as soon as he is able to take command of that decision.

I'm honestly ok if the Celtics don't get AD.

Unless he can be convinced to sign an extension prior to being traded, I'll be surprised if Danny offers him what the Pels think he's going to offer them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough on those fronts...

... that being said, everything could have been done without the circus sideshow shenanigans that Davis and his "camp" obviously engaged in.

I think that was more Rich Paul than AD. I'd be surprised if AD wanted to handle it publicly.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was more Rich Paul than AD. I'd be surprised if AD wanted to handle it publicly.
I don't disagree...

... that being said: AD is a grown man...

And the "CEO of his own business"... :puke:

... lol :D

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's no surprise that the guy who starred in "The Decision" would support Davis here

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, if you follow the NBA, this is how all of the players operate now. They have the power to be their own 'corporation' and they take advantage of it. No big deal.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, if you follow the NBA, this is how all of the players operate now. They have the power to be their own 'corporation' and they take advantage of it. No big deal.

It's pretty much the eternal struggle of Labor vs Management, except it's millionaires vs billionaires

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty much the eternal struggle of Labor vs Management, except it's millionaires vs billionaires
karl_marx_quote_2.jpg

Replace "proletarians" with coddled, rich athletes. ;)