• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another LeBron thread - but it's time to ask this

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So LeBron is 37 and his body is starting to break down a bit, who knew, he's mortal...

Is it time for him to officially step back from the alpha role, and start the Iguodala decline phase (which could go 5 years with that guy)? Play 25-30 minutes a game, work on a rebuild or on a team like the Cavs where he could lead but not take over the team? Extend his career maybe win another ring, as the #2 or #3 on a team,

it's ok to get old so maybe take some load off and stop trying to carry a team on your back. Go 5 years as super support, like J Kidd won his ring very late in his career.

What say y'all?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. He ain't stepping back. He's like Brady, sacrificing virgins to the gods, and will play at high level well into his 40s.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. He ain't stepping back. He's like Brady, sacrificing virgins to the gods, and will play at high level well into his 40s.
I mean, I think yes high level but far fewer minutes. Almost tautologically true. I think he can handle downshifting, to lengthen his career.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much ego and too much pride. Stupid question. It’s what us so-called LeBron “haters” have been saying all along. A normal basketball player would accept a lesser role with age, but LeBron thinks he’s bigger than basketball.

Maybe he goes back to Cleveland to try and smooth things over, but he’s done winning titles. This won’t end well.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much ego and too much pride. Stupid question. It’s what us so-called LeBron “haters” have been saying all along. A normal basketball player would accept a lesser role with age, but LeBron thinks he’s bigger than basketball.

Maybe he goes back to Cleveland to try and smooth things over, but he’s done winning titles. This won’t end well.
The future is not yet written you nitwit. That's my point....he obviously hasn't downshifted YET. Will he? He's not stupid, I vote yes. We'll see of course.

And going back to Cleveland, with that young core and him as the old man support? Another title is very much in play.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for him to officially step back from the alpha role, and start the Iguodala decline phase (which could go 5 years with that guy)? Play 25-30 minutes a game, work on a rebuild or on a team like the Cavs where he could lead but not take over the team? Extend his career maybe win another ring, as the #2 or #3 on a team,

From what was said before the season, this was supposed to be the ''baton year'' and he was going to take a step back and let AD be the ''alpha''. But then AD showed up out of shape and got hurt...again.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly this was supposed to be the plan with AD stepping into the leadership role and Lebron being #2. But injuries to AD have prevented this. The addition of Russ was supposed to further help with this with the anticipation of a lot of games missed by AD and him being able to fill a pseudo #1 role, but that didn't happen. I believe that's a factor in why they went after him instead of Hield.

But it all really depends on what Lebron wants. If he's trying to stay in the league as long as possible and still be a very productive player then logic says he needs to take a step back. He can't be called upon to score 30 a night. But he could easily be a 20-6-6 guy on 28-30 minutes a night. But with that comes some additional L's for his teams and a bigger burden on others to take a step up.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is lebrons trade value

Because even with a fully healthy Lakers team they weren't winning a ship

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The future is not yet written you nitwit. That's my point....he obviously hasn't downshifted YET. Will he? He's not stupid, I vote yes. We'll see of course.

And going back to Cleveland, with that young core and him as the old man support? Another title is very much in play.
Cane might be a jackass, but there's something to what the guy's saying. The signs are there that he's slowing down physically so I'd say it's certainly time for that to happen, or at least consider it. And yes, the part about his ego is valid as well imo...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is lebrons trade value

Because even with a fully healthy Lakers team they weren't winning a ship

Tough to say, since they have so few players under contract for next season (and one is likely out the door somehow - Westbrook):

Westbrook, Lebron, AD, THT, Stanley Johnson, Austin Reaves, and the ghost of Kendrick Nunn. TPMLE, 2 small trade exceptions and vet min contracts to fill out the roster, since they're already over the cap. The inevitable Westbrook dump will determine much of the roster (will they find a trade partner and how weak will the return package be). They'll try to keep Monk and I imagine Melo and Dwight would re-up if offered (if they don't retire). Also in play would be their 2-way guys Gabriel and Mason Jones. I would imagine they would keep Gabriel, as he got a lot of run at the end of the season.

On top of all that, they need to identify their next coach, since the Vogel era appears to be on a shot clock. Snyder and Rivers have been rumored, but both are currently employed (and I really don't want Rivers lol).

That said, championship is definitely a reach, but they certainly should be in the playoff mix barring a recurrence of injuries (but that's a major caveat, lol).

Reactions: DJ

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cane might be a jackass, but there's something to what the guy's saying. The signs are there that he's slowing down physically so I'd say it's certainly time for that to happen, or at least consider it. And yes, the part about his ego is valid as well imo...

I'd at least like to see him work on getting leaner and lighter (along with AD), save some wear and tear on those joints.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So LeBron is 37 and his body is starting to break down a bit, who knew, he's mortal...

it's ok to get old so maybe take some load off and stop trying to carry a team on your back. Go 5 years as super support, like J Kidd won his ring very late in his career.

What say y'all?
he should but he's LeBron and won't admit that he's just not as good as he thinks he use to be

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should but he's LeBron and won't admit that he's just not as good as he thinks he use to be
He's not stupid. It will happen at some point. Maybe a year or two after it should happen, or maybe with his next team (he has one more year with the Lakers)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not stupid. It will happen at some point. Maybe a year or two after it should happen, or maybe with his next team (he has one more year with the Lakers)
after this coming season LeBron will still be looking for a max contract from the Lakers or some other team at the max and for at least 5 years

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after this coming season LeBron will still be looking for a max contract from the Lakers or some other team at the max and for at least 5 years
That's ridiculously false

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The downshift has happened already, just not to the extent haters would love for us to believe. It's a good question you are asking. In the next few years, will he be able to accept a lesser role on a team to try for another chip? Good question, I'll think about it and reply with my thoughts tonight.