• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early mock draft out of Windy City Gridiron

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's taken from USA Today's early draft via WCG.

Mocking the Mocks: Draft Wire has the Bears going OT, CB, RB and QB in their latest mock draft

It's interesting that in one sense, it at least contains 3 positions out of our 4 total picks this year that I feel are likely our biggest needs position-wise. Now that Massie is under contract, I think I'd swap our 3rd pick (OT) with our 4th (CB). On face value, CB or even S may not appear to be our biggest need, position-wise, but I don't see us signing both Amos AND Callahan, plus I've read in other sites that this is a good chance we will be seeing Prince for the last time, as releasing him next year will open up something like 6m or 8m (think it's the latter) in cap space for 2020. Besides, if this kid Sheffield has a blazing 40 time at the combines or his pro day, it's unlikely that he'd last until the 4th anyway.

I'm a bit perplexed on our 5th round and 7th round picks, which are the last two picks for us unless Pace does some trading to acquire more. But to the 5th rounder, I'm ok with taking a RB (just as I'd be ok with taking one in the 3rd or 4th round instead), but not sure why we'd go with a back who only has 7 receptions in his collegiate career. Especially considering that Nagy loves backs who can catch out of the backfied. This pick makes no sense at all to me. And as for the 7th rounder, I see no need for a QB when we still have Daniel under contract for another year and I believe we also have Tyler Bray as well, altho not as sure about him. Of course Pace is all about the BPA, so if it just so happens that his BPA is a QB who is still on the board in the 7th, then that's his guy. But otherwise, I'd like to see that pick used for someone on the D side of the coin.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Nagy is the kind of guy who itches to develop QB's and could definitely bring in Trub's 2020 backup to learn from within the Tyler Bray role for a year.

If he sees a project he likes mid-late rounds? I say go for it. It's that kind of a draft. We don't have a glaring need.

RB makes sense, actually. We don't have one on our roster drafted under the Nagy regime. He's going to naturally want a guy (even if 3rd string) that he feels can do everything he needs of his RB's.

I hope we keep Amos and draft our new nickel.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Nagy is the kind of guy who itches to develop QB's and could definitely bring in Trub's 2020 backup to learn from within the Tyler Bray role for a year.

If he sees a project he likes mid-late rounds? I say go for it. It's that kind of a draft. We don't have a glaring need.

RB makes sense, actually. We don't have one on our roster drafted under the Nagy regime. He's going to naturally want a guy (even if 3rd string) that he feels can do everything he needs of his RB's.

I hope we keep Amos and draft our new nickel.
Well, position-wise, I still don't think QB should be on Pace's limited draft agenda, but I also made sure to include the caveat if his BPA just so happens to be a QB, then that's the way it is.

I have zero problems with using one of the picks on a RB, just not that kid. Altho I have to confess, I am impressed with his collegiate pedigree and the 6.4 ypc is nothing to sneeze at. BTW, did I read somewhere that this kid is related to Evander?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think we should draft a QB to build up and trade down the road. We hopefully will be drafting very late the next 10 years and will need to trade a promising young QB to get better draft picks. Like Rich said Nagy is a QB whisperer and should be developing one at all times.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think we should draft a QB to build up and trade down the road. We hopefully will be drafting very late the next 10 years and will need to trade a promising young QB to get better draft picks. Like Rich said Nagy is a QB whisperer and should be developing one at all times.
That shit rarely ever works out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That shit rarely ever works out.
True but we have the coach and system to raise our chances higher then ever before. Very few late round players work out at any position so why not take the chance with a position that our coach is strongest at.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but we have the coach and system to raise our chances higher then ever before. Very few late round players work out at any position so why not take the chance with a position that our coach is strongest at.
I say, if there’s a QB that they like and there’s no one they think can make a difference on the roster, I’d go for it. I wouldn’t enter the draft with that strategy in mind though. Having said that, it’s going to be hard to find a rookie that can make a difference in this roster where we will be picking. RB and SS are probably the only opportunities to upgrade, and a rookie RB will have to unseat Howard and the hole at SS is only if Amos leaves.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but assuming things stay the same, we only have 4 picks this draft and I'm having a difficult time getting my head wrapped around using one of those four on a QB who at best will PS material for at least a year, likely two. Look at last year, all of our draft picks made the cut. I'd like to see a repeat with the four we'll have on this draft.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but assuming things stay the same, we only have 4 picks this draft and I'm having a difficult time getting my head wrapped around using one of those four on a QB who at best will PS material for at least a year, likely two. Look at last year, all of our draft picks made the cut. I'd like to see a repeat with the four we'll have on this draft.

Winner. QB would be an utter waste of a pick. We have our young stud, a decent backup, and Bray, who I think would be even better than Daniel if given the chance.

With limited picks and the starter unquestioned, I think we'd be better suited to use those picks elsewhere. You want a project, bring in an undrafted kid.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where you guys are coming from with the limited amount of draft picks we have. But I also would like to take a chance in a area that our coach is strongest at developing. You know take advantage of what Nagy does best. But I get it that this my not be the best year to do that with so few picks.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where you guys are coming from with the limited amount of draft picks we have. But I also would like to take a chance in a area that our coach is strongest at developing. You know take advantage of what Nagy does best. But I get it that this my not be the best year to do that with so few picks.
No argument from that standpoint, but as Beardown pointed out, why not just go with an UFA? Seriously, what's the difference between a 7th round QB and one taken after the draft is over? I'm guessing the metrics and measurables at most would be slightly distinguishable.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA. This team really lacks a weakness that is usually addressed in the draft.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal preferences would be to go after a RB, CB, OL(BPA), and then MAYBE a bigger WR late and hope to develp them into a redzone threat. While the WR core is very solid, it's hard to say any of those guys are true every down threats. Miller may be in a few years, Robinson isn't consistent enough, and Gabriel, while being an incredible possession guy, just doesn't bring the home run threat. Bears are obviously strong on defense, but offense could use some depth. I love Cohen, and Howard CAN be good when blocking is there, but there are plenty of RBs coming out this year that can make this offense hum.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal preferences would be to go after a RB, CB, OL(BPA), and then MAYBE a bigger WR late and hope to develp them into a redzone threat. While the WR core is very solid, it's hard to say any of those guys are true every down threats. Miller may be in a few years, Robinson isn't consistent enough, and Gabriel, while being an incredible possession guy, just doesn't bring the home run threat. Bears are obviously strong on defense, but offense could use some depth. I love Cohen, and Howard CAN be good when blocking is there, but there are plenty of RBs coming out this year that can make this offense hum.

That's basically what they did with taking Wims in the 7th last year. Who looked promising in pre-season and his few opportunities during the season. He's what you're talking about, though. A big jump ball, possession developmental guy.

Interesting breakdown of the WR corp that I couldn't really disagree with more. Gabriel's game is his speed and the big play. He made more than a few. I think our lack of deep passing offense prevented more.

I also believe Robinson is a rock solid #1. Who probably finishes with over 1,000 yards if healthy the entire year. Trubisky still has a little bit to go in the downfield department as well. I think the WR's are perfect for the system and we need not address it much.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument from that standpoint, but as Beardown pointed out, why not just go with an UFA? Seriously, what's the difference between a 7th round QB and one taken after the draft is over? I'm guessing the metrics and measurables at most would be slightly distinguishable.

I mean, what's the difference between one taken in the 4th and the 5th? Same difference. Ranked a little higher by scouts.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, what's the difference between one taken in the 4th and the 5th? Same difference. Ranked a little higher by scouts.
Not at all. We're talking about the 7th round here, not the 4th. With each subsequent round, the value narrows between them. Or by your thought, there's that 'same difference' between a 1st round and 2nd round pic as there is between the 7th and undrafted.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm less inclined to go with a WR due to our depth. But I have to admit, I am beginning to wonder if we need to address the TE position. Burton had a good, but not great year in his first season as the Bears #1 TE, and I'm a little uneasy about these stories with him incurring anxiety attacks. Some writers wondered aloud if he was really injured prior to the Eagles game or had one of those episodes. If true, and I'm not sure it is, that would be a horrible reason for missing the most important game of the year. Maybe this whole anxiety thing is just an isolated issue and should be a non-story. I sure hope so because Pace forked out a lot of moola for this guy.

As for TE #2, altho it may be unfair to criticize Shaheen in a season where much of it was spent on IR, I'm nonetheless beginning to sour on him, or better put, my huge expectations I had for him when he was the 45th pick in the '17 draft. It is a bit premature to say that this coming season is make or break for him, but Shaheen definitely has to step up his game big time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm less inclined to go with a WR due to our depth. But I have to admit, I am beginning to wonder if we need to address the TE position. Burton had a good, but not great year in his first season as the Bears #1 TE, and I'm a little uneasy about these stories with him incurring anxiety attacks. Some writers wondered aloud if he was really injured prior to the Eagles game or had one of those episodes. If true, and I'm not sure it is, that would be a horrible reason for missing the most important game of the year. Maybe this whole anxiety thing is just an isolated issue and should be a non-story. I sure hope so because Pace forked out a lot of moola for this guy.

As for TE #2, altho it may be unfair to criticize Shaheen in a season where much of it was spent on IR, I'm nonetheless beginning to sour on him, or better put, my huge expectations I had for him when he was the 45th pick in the '17 draft. It is a bit premature to say that this coming season is make or break for him, but Shaheen definitely has to step up his game big time.

I missed the anxiety issues stories, but something definitely was "off" about him not playing against the Eagles. It seemed fishy af to me.

If there is any truth to that rumor, he can fuck right off. Send him packing. I don't want some bitch that can't handle pressure on my team.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hicks and Trevathan > Burton and Fuller

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. We're talking about the 7th round here, not the 4th. With each subsequent round, the value narrows between them. Or by your thought, there's that 'same difference' between a 1st round and 2nd round pic as there is between the 7th and undrafted.

I think you misunderstand. The point is... that there is still a difference in scouting grades. 7th round picks are graded higher and are regarded as more valuable than someone undrafted. Why is it better to pick high in a round than later?... etc...