• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AMC Theatres Will Now Charge Premium Prices Based on Seat Location

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movie theaters should just give up. To recap:

1. My screen is, for all intents and purposes, the same size.
2. The sound system in my house is just stereo, but is just fine.
3. The food in my house is better.
4. I can pause the movie at any time for a break, be it to the bathroom or whatever.
5. The movies are available to stream ~2 months after theatrical release.

Why are there theaters again?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will only impact people that go to super crowded showings. I typically go by myself occasionally during the work day when the place is empty and you can sit wherever you like.

I care less about $1 for a good seat than the $20 for a small coke.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will only impact people that go to super crowded showings. I typically go by myself occasionally during the work day when the place is empty and you can sit wherever you like.

I care less about $1 for a good seat than the $20 for a small coke.

They let you wear a trench coat?

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They let you wear a trench coat?
peewee-ok.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next AMC Movie Theatres will be doing this
Holy shit. That dude is a spittin’ image of a guy I went to college with. I seriously had to watch the vid just to get his name to make sure it wasn’t him (not the same guy).

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe the nerve of AMC, making better seats cost more, who do they think they are every sporting event in America?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe the nerve of AMC, making better seats cost more, who do they think they are every sporting event in America?
Maybe the WNBA, if you are looking for a comp with a similar profit model.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the WNBA, if you are looking for a comp with a similar profit model.
How is what AMC is doing any different than a concert charging you a higher price for better seats or a sporting event charging you a higher price for better seats?

AMC isn’t saying you can only buy the expensive seats but if someone wants to pay more then go right ahead.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is what AMC is doing any different than a concert charging you a higher price for better seats or a sporting event charging you a higher price for better seats?

AMC isn’t saying you can only buy the expensive seats but if someone wants to pay more then go right ahead.
Movie attendance is piss poor now. There is no reason to go to a theater anymore. So now they are increasing their prices? Even less incentive to go now.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movie attendance is piss poor now. There is no reason to go to a theater anymore. So now they are increasing their prices? Even less incentive to go now.
It’s $1 more for a better seat and $2 cheaper for a lower tier seat. And it’s not even on every seat, 90% of the seats have no change in price.

If you can’t afford it, just say so, but you’ve got much bigger problems in life if a $1 charge on a seat they’re not even forcing you to buy unless you’re literally one of the last people to buy tickets affects you this much,

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I cannot remember the last time I told the wife hey let's go to the movies.

It's been a few years for me too and it's been several more years since I attended some blockbuster with a full house. They just don't make many movies for adults anymore and the ones they do there's rarely an issue finding a good seat.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a few years for me too and it's been several more years since I attended some blockbuster with a full house. They just don't make many movies for adults anymore and the ones they do there's rarely an issue finding a good seat.

I find the bolded to be just very inaccurate... or I just don't get what you mean... are you claiming that only movies for adults can be enjoyed by adults??? I mean, isn't a good movie a good movie??

the real problem is that people are nostalgic for the olden days, and think things were better back when... we use classic movies to describe this... but the reason most of those became classics was because there was not an over abundance of films, so the good ones were emphasized more...

now, good films get hidden In the crowd... and with theaters being so under-used the good movies are not seen in theaters by enough people, as most wait until it is streaming... so now we are held hostage by the streaming services to tell us what to like...

but to say there is less good movies now than ever is just factually wrong... if anything there is more... its just that there may be too much... and then we forget to see movies that we may have wanted to see...

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's probably a necessary change tbh. I just took the kids to Avatar a month or 2 ago. We had a whole 4 day weekend to see the movie anytime. Looked friday evening, but only shitty seats were left. At like $18 a ticket, plus extra money to buy tickets online (!?!) And kids that felt like they need popcorn and pop 8 didn't wanna shell out $150-200 for a shitty seat. So we didn't go. Looked and it would have been more convenient anyway to go Saturday, but again only aisle seats either too high or too low to really enjoy. So we got premium tickets Sunday during the day. But maybe I would have paid $20 for the good seats Friday or Saturday. So they could have made more money. Conversely I might have sat in shitty seats if they were like $10-12 or something. Instead probably nobody sat there, so they made no money.

When Batman the Dark Knight came out I went first night (back before you could pick a ticket ahead of time.) We ended up th3 front row in an aisle seat at a full size Imax theater. I had to move my head to see different parts of the screen, and it was all way over there. The next day me and my wife's neck were legitimately sore. 3 hour movie with your neck craned way over. A couple years ago we sat in the very back row slightly off center for one of the Star Wars movies. The surround speaker way honest to God less than 3 feet away from my ears. And the surround on that movie was mixed hot for cool effects. I couldn't hear the main dialogue or anything because the surround was so loud in my ear. Not a big loss in a Star Wars sequel, but still annoying. After those I'll never go to a movie in theaters again without at least decent seats.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movie theaters should just give up. To recap:

1. My screen is, for all intents and purposes, the same size.
2. The sound system in my house is just stereo, but is just fine.
3. The food in my house is better.
4. I can pause the movie at any time for a break, be it to the bathroom or whatever.
5. The movies are available to stream ~2 months after theatrical release.

Why are there theaters again?

Come on man.. how big a screen do you have? T
I find the bolded to be just very inaccurate... or I just don't get what you mean... are you claiming that only movies for adults can be enjoyed by adults??? I mean, isn't a good movie a good movie??

the real problem is that people are nostalgic for the olden days, and think things were better back when... we use classic movies to describe this... but the reason most of those became classics was because there was not an over abundance of films, so the good ones were emphasized more...

now, good films get hidden In the crowd... and with theaters being so under-used the good movies are not seen in theaters by enough people, as most wait until it is streaming... so now we are held hostage by the streaming services to tell us what to like...

but to say there is less good movies now than ever is just factually wrong... if anything there is more... its just that there may be too much... and then we forget to see movies that we may have wanted to see...

Perhaps I should have said for this adult and expanded upon what I meant by that. I was referring to movies that get released to the theaters, because unless you live in NY, San Fran, Chicago and a few other places, there are few if any "art houses" showing more adult/mature fare so mostly all you have is multiplexes that show the movies they think will draw the crowds.

I'm just not much of a fan of superhero movies and cartoons. I agree that overall there is much more quality content available but I disagree with your reasoning for why movies from the past are considered classics. It's not because there are so many movies now and the great one get lost in the crowd or so few then. The great ones are considered classics because so many people over time have enjoyed them, not because they were so few movies back whenever.

Google the top grossing films for 2022. Now go look at the top grossing movies for say 1990. The landscape has changed wrt what they're showing at the theaters and it could be because with the introduction of big screen hi def TVs and all of the streaming options going to the movies isn't as attractive an option for adults as it is for young folks dating, going out & whatnot.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man.. how big a screen do you have? T

Perhaps I should have said for this adult and expanded upon what I meant by that. I was referring to movies that get released to the theaters, because unless you live in NY, San Fran, Chicago and a few other places, there are few if any "art houses" showing more adult/mature fare so mostly all you have is multiplexes that show the movies they think will draw the crowds.

I'm just not much of a fan of superhero movies and cartoons. I agree that overall there is much more quality content available but I disagree with your reasoning for why movies from the past are considered classics. It's not because there are so many movies now and the great one get lost in the crowd or so few then. The great ones are considered classics because so many people over time have enjoyed them, not because they were so few movies back whenever.

Google the top grossing films for 2022. Now go look at the top grossing movies for say 1990. The landscape has changed wrt what they're showing at the theaters and it could be because with the introduction of big screen hi def TVs and all of the streaming options going to the movies isn't as attractive an option for adults as it is for young folks dating, going out & whatnot.

thats a debate i have always wanted to have... and i really have no basis to my opinion... just an observation...

But classic movies became classic because we were told they were classic...

WHat i mean by that.. Before DVR, On demand and even VCR, we were only watching movies at home that were played by tv...

Not many movie goers ever would see the same movie often at theatres... so when you claim to see a movie often it was likely because it was on tv...

Which movies do you think TV played most often... and do you think that was based on QUALITY??

i mean, it seems weird to me that when you ask anyone 50 or older they all have a favourite movie or 2... and their lists seem to all be similar...

but if you ask a 40 year old or younger, they have a much more difficult time choosing their favourite movies... and the lists seem much more eclectic...

yes, i left off a specific decade... of any decade of growing up... i feel like the 80s children love their movies and music more than any other generation.... i cant explain why this is... but they seem to all just wish they were still in the 80s...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a debate i have always wanted to have... and i really have no basis to my opinion... just an observation...

But classic movies became classic because we were told they were classic...

WHat i mean by that.. Before DVR, On demand and even VCR, we were only watching movies at home that were played by tv...

Not many movie goers ever would see the same movie often at theatres... so when you claim to see a movie often it was likely because it was on tv...

Which movies do you think TV played most often... and do you think that was based on QUALITY??

i mean, it seems weird to me that when you ask anyone 50 or older they all have a favourite movie or 2... and their lists seem to all be similar...

but if you ask a 40 year old or younger, they have a much more difficult time choosing their favourite movies... and the lists seem much more eclectic...

yes, i left off a specific decade... of any decade of growing up... i feel like the 80s children love their movies and music more than any other generation.... i cant explain why this is... but they seem to all just wish they were still in the 80s...

Movies are deemed classics because they were widely popular and critically acclaimed... but they also have stood the test of time.

There are a ton of movies deemed classics that were made before my time and most of those I've watched I consider pretty great, because I really enjoyed them not for some nostalgiac reason or someone told me that I was supposed to like them.

I think you'd find that most people, regardless of age, could tell you a few of their favorite movies. Tbh that sounds like something you pulled out of thin air. I'll ask both of my millenniel kids the next time I speak with them. But I don't even have a hard & fast list of my top 5 or whatever.