• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amazing Cal League stat

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SJ Giants have 10 shutouts in about 50 games. The rest of the Cal League combined has 12 shutouts so far this year. Wheeler/Westcott/Heston/Marte is a pretty damn good combination of SP. And now Mixon seems to be getting it going as well.

Loves me some good young pitching.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is a Barcelona-esque* stat.

* My meaning is that it shows total domination by one team over every other team in its class. I am a Real Madrid fan, and I hate Barca with every fiber of my being, but I am also an honest sports fan who is willing to admit that Barca is far and away the best futbol team in the world. 10 shutouts in 50 games is unheard of. It's like a travel ball team playing against a regular Little League squad.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool stat. And how about that Messi goal in the CL Final? Only injury can keep that guy from being recognized as the greatest of all time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND SJ has a couple decent bats as well (Brown, Parker, Joseph, Dominguez)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a Barcelona-esque* stat.

* My meaning is that it shows total domination by one team over every other team in its class. I am a Real Madrid fan, and I hate Barca with every fiber of my being, but I am also an honest sports fan who is willing to admit that Barca is far and away the best futbol team in the world. 10 shutouts in 50 games is unheard of. It's like a travel ball team playing against a regular Little League squad.

Indeed. Now, there are a couple of things to note:

1. At least a couple of those four guys will be moved up to AA pretty soon, I should think (along with Brown and Hembree). Aside: after blowing his first two saves of the year, Hembree has converted 18 consecutive saves. Peripheral stats, you say?
20.2 IP 16 H 1 HR 9 BB 38 K 0.87 ERA 1.21 WHIP
2. Marte probably doesn't project as a SP with his stature (6-0, 180); and Westcott doesn't have a great FB. But Heston and Wheeler seem to be legit majors prospects.

On a related note, there is a new 3B on the SJ squad as of today...some dude named Sandoval....

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wait. How did this turn into a soccer thread? Sorry, tzill.

It's all my fault. I have spent so much time over the past few years watching the Barclay's Premier League and La Liga and the BundesLiga that to me, everything that isn't a baseball analogy is a soccer analogy. Since the topic was already baseball.....

btw, that Messi goal was absolutely super-human. To think the kid's only 23. He's on a Ken Griffey course with greatness. If he can avoid Griffey's injuries, he will be the best ever.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all my fault. I have spent so much time over the past few years watching the Barclay's Premier League and La Liga and the BundesLiga that to me, everything that isn't a baseball analogy is a soccer analogy. Since the topic was already baseball.....

btw, that Messi goal was absolutely super-human. To think the kid's only 23. He's on a Ken Griffey course with greatness. If he can avoid Griffey's injuries, he will be the best ever.

+1. Thread-jacker! :) I have really grown to love soccer in my post high school days. Now, I probably play and watch more than any other sport besides baseball/softball. It was all american football, basketball and baseball before. Don't worry, filo, I'm still loving the NHL more than the NBA right now.

Back on topic, those Hembree numbers are insane. Would it make more sense to jump him to Fresno rather than the pitchers' league? Is that too accelerated? Is it too much of an ego bruise to Kroon? Does that matter?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1. Thread-jacker! :) I have really grown to love soccer in my post high school days. Now, I probably play and watch more than any other sport besides baseball/softball. It was all american football, basketball and baseball before. Don't worry, filo, I'm still loving the NHL more than the NBA right now.

Back on topic, those Hembree numbers are insane. Would it make more sense to jump him to Fresno rather than the pitchers' league? Is that too accelerated? Is it too much of an ego bruise to Kroon? Does that matter?

I dont see any need to rush the kid. The pen in SF is STACKED, and Weez is still a super-stud.

Move slow with the kid, but don't kill HIS ego by leaving him in SJ.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see any need to rush the kid. The pen in SF is STACKED, and Weez is still a super-stud.

Move slow with the kid, but don't kill HIS ego by leaving him in SJ.

Good point. He should kill it in Richmond, though, and that will be an ego-boost. I think I'm done contemplating the egos of minor league baseball players for the rest of the day now. Promote away, Mr. Sabean!