• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All about the Geese

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the storm coming in, I had to go out and see if the geese were swarming today. Had one good volley of 3 birds and 3 of us took 2 from that flurry. Had 4 other flocks give us the fly by with one, two and three look overs but they didn't want to come in. I think we had a fucked up blind because we were in a green field with rain, ice, and snow falling, which is good. The blind was 12.5 feet long with chicken wire wrapped in camo and then wrapped in a brown Pampas. You could barely get 3 in it but it stuck out like a sore thumb in that green field. Needed lay down blinds covered with a green grass to blend in. Any thoughts from you goose hunters? I need ideas on how to really get these birds into the fields.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
layout blinds with green grass is a good move. if you can dig a few inches down to make it lower do it. Also look up flagman.com....most people use the regular flags....get the flagman with the 10 foot extender arm. I am only telling you this because you don't hunt around where we do. We have had people ask what that was many times and nobody really carries it, its off the beaten path so to speak. 1 or 2 of those (not the double, just individual ones) will make you stand out to any geese around and even over other spreads. We have used them for almost 10 years and nobody seems to use them which is great for us.

Thats my 1 cent tip of the day.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We began to really bring groups in as soon as we dropped the dinge for Avery Finisher layout blinds. Stubbled out with the surrounding foliage and you're warm, dry and invisible. If the wind shifts, you get out, turn it to face downwind and hop right back in!

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a great trick I just learned...cheap sleeping bag in the layout blind..warm..

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the storm coming in, I had to go out and see if the geese were swarming today. Had one good volley of 3 birds and 3 of us took 2 from that flurry. Had 4 other flocks give us the fly by with one, two and three look overs but they didn't want to come in. I think we had a fucked up blind because we were in a green field with rain, ice, and snow falling, which is good. The blind was 12.5 feet long with chicken wire wrapped in camo and then wrapped in a brown Pampas. You could barely get 3 in it but it stuck out like a sore thumb in that green field. Needed lay down blinds covered with a green grass to blend in. Any thoughts from you goose hunters? I need ideas on how to really get these birds into the fields.

Layout blinds are definitely awesome when the situation arises. I have a one of the cheaper readhead blinds and that seems to work pretty well. There is also permanent grass stuff (Avery Killer Weed) that you can buy to attach to the blinds which I HIGHLY recommend if you use one. Makes setting up easier and gives you back 20 mins of your time which means everything hunting waterfowl.

Last recommendation - there is a padded gun bar that you rest your gun on when in the blind. DEFINITELY make sure that you have enough padded material on the bar so that if you move your gun you don't scratch it up. Learned that the hard way with my new Browning A5. :gaah:

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Layout blinds are definitely awesome when the situation arises. I have a one of the cheaper readhead blinds and that seems to work pretty well. There is also permanent grass stuff (Avery Killer Weed) that you can buy to attach to the blinds which I HIGHLY recommend if you use one. Makes setting up easier and gives you back 20 mins of your time which means everything hunting waterfowl.

Last recommendation - there is a padded gun bar that you rest your gun on when in the blind. DEFINITELY make sure that you have enough padded material on the bar so that if you move your gun you don't scratch it up. Learned that the hard way with my new Browning A5. :gaah:
Great advice! I have layout blinds and have covered them. I just don't like them because my back hurts laying in them. You need to get up here in Culpeper and go on a goose hunt. 5 per day now!

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great advice! I have layout blinds and have covered them. I just don't like them because my back hurts laying in them. You need to get up here in Culpeper and go on a goose hunt. 5 per day now!

I agree with the layout blind. My back hurts as well in them over time and sight is limited in them as well. I may take you up on the goose hunt sometime for sure!