• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith threw TD blurry eyed

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be a Madden token or something? throwing a TD while hurt?

lol OT but fucked up. The next madden installment should incorporate concussions into the game. If your QB suffered a concussion, the screen should be blurry or wobbly... lol

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he shouldn't be rushed into action. If Alex misses practices and what not, Kap should be the starter(as he would be taking the 1st team reps).

Interesting decision, when it comes to health, should play it safe. Especially if we're talking about the playoffs.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how the hit on Smith was not a penalty. I know he did not slide feet first, but he went down and turned his back on the play. How is that not considered giving up on the play? The league is preaching safety on hits to head of defenseless players. I don't see how Alex was not considered defenseless with the way he was going down. A blow like that to the back head is usually a lot worst than the helmet to helmet hits they flag inside the pocket. (example-the one called on Ray McDonald in the same game.)

It should have been an Unnecessary Roughing call. There was just no need for a hit like that on a player that was giving himself up. The runner was going down on a play that did not even require the D to touch him. The official easily could have ruled the runner gave himself up and blown the play dead.

Remember the Victory Cruz fumble against the Cards last year? The one were he went down on his own power and then just got up without the football. We all thought it was fumble but the ref ruled Cruz had giving himself up and stopped the play. He didn't slide feet first so what would have happened if a Cardinal blasted Cruz helmet-to-helmet as he was getting up? Would a violent hit right then have changed the ruling on the field? Would they call it the same and rule a late hit, or would a hit right then have been seen as the cause of the fumble? Like I said it's a fine line on how to call when a player has giving himself up, but when a player turns his back on the play while falling down I think it's pretty clear he is giving himself up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how the hit on Smith was not a penalty. I know he did not slide feet first, but he went down and turned his back on the play. How is that not considered giving up on the play? The league is preaching safety on hits to head of defenseless players. I don't see how Alex was not considered defenseless with the way he was going down. A blow like that to the back head is usually a lot worst than the helmet to helmet hits they flag inside the pocket. (example-the one called on Ray McDonald in the same game.)

It should have been an Unnecessary Roughing call. There was just no need for a hit like that on a player that was giving himself up. The runner was going down on a play that did not even require the D to touch him. The official easily could have ruled the runner gave himself up and blown the play dead.

Remember the Victory Cruz fumble against the Cards last year? The one were he went down on his own power and then just got up without the football. We all thought it was fumble but the ref ruled Cruz had giving himself up and stopped the play. He didn't slide feet first so what would have happened if a Cardinal blasted Cruz helmet-to-helmet as he was getting up? Would a violent hit right then have changed the ruling on the field? Would they call it the same and rule a late hit, or would a hit right then have been seen as the cause of the fumble? Like I said it's a fine line on how to call when a player has giving himself up, but when a player turns his back on the play while falling down I think it's pretty clear he is giving himself up.

I think the answer to this is easy - he didn't slide. The rules committee cannot start slicing and dicing the rules or the subjective interpretation of them would cause games to last 6-hours. Yes, he was giving himself up but not in a way where the rules could protect him.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer to this is easy - he didn't slide. The rules committee cannot start slicing and dicing the rules or the subjective interpretation of them would cause games to last 6-hours. Yes, he was giving himself up but not in a way where the rules could protect him.

It looked like Smith was putting his shoulder down to take on the LB. Not very smart of Alex.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looked like Smith was putting his shoulder down to take on the LB. Not very smart of Alex.

Yeah, either to match hit for hit or at least to brace for a hit.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, its true. Alex didn't slide feet first thus, by rule, was not under the defenseless application.

Had it be Tom Brady, Rodgers or Brees, maybe that call would've been made.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, its true. Alex didn't slide feet first thus, by rule, was not under the defenseless application.

Hell if it had been any one of those three plus either of the Manning brothers the defender would have been tossed from the game, fined and forced to file for divorce.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it not a penalty for defenders to lead with their helmet? I know they can get fined after the fact for launching themselves helmet first, but I'm not sure how they call it in-game. You could say the defender did not intend to lead with his helmet and was just preparing to make a hard shoulder tackle and Alex going down caused it to be a helmet first hit, but hey James Harrison been saying that for years and still getting fined for similar hits.

Could you imagine the outrage if that hit was on Peyton Manning after his neck issues? They would probably suspend the guy for the year. =\

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it not a penalty for defenders to lead with their helmet? I know they can get fined after the fact for launching themselves helmet first, but I'm not sure how they call it in-game. You could say the defender did not intend to lead with his helmet and was just preparing to make a hard shoulder tackle and Alex going down caused it to be a helmet first hit, but hey James Harrison been saying that for years and still getting fined for similar hits.

Could you imagine the outrage if that hit was on Peyton Manning after his neck issues? They would probably suspend the guy for the year. =\

Not on that play - Smith was a defensible runner not a defenseless QB. Think of Whitner's hit vs. N.O.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell if it had been any one of those three plus either of the Manning brothers the defender would have been tossed from the game, fined and forced to file for divorce.

Them Manning boys..... :bored:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No its not. As long as the ball carrier is a runner, he is not considered defenseless after he makes a football move(i'm adding the football move part)...

Harrison has been leading his helmet on defenseless recievers... while he misses or not in the head region is a different story.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Them Manning boys..... :bored:

I think we'd be 8-1, possibly 9-0 if we had the older of the two behind center; but, we would lose 1/2 our team next year to cap issues.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No its not. As long as the ball carrier is a runner, he is not considered defenseless after he makes a football move(i'm adding the football move part)...

Harrison has been leading his helmet on defenseless recievers... while he misses or not in the head region is a different story.

Ok, I thought the league was wanting players to stop lowering their heads for big hits like that to protect both the guys getting hit and the defenders putting on the hit. The Rams guy that laid that hit on Alex could have easily giving himself a concussion or sustained a neck injury by lowering his head and leading with the top of his helmet like that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I thought the league was wanting players to stop lowering their heads for big hits like that to protect both the guys getting hit and the defenders putting on the hit. The Rams guy that laid that hit on Alex could have easily giving himself a concussion or sustained a neck injury by lowering his head and leading with the top of his helmet like that.

Yeah Dunbar was being an ass and a douchebag.... he felt all happy knocking down a QB attempting to slide.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heroic. Hollywood here is your chance at another hit football film.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be a Madden token or something? throwing a TD while hurt?

lol OT but fucked up. The next madden installment should incorporate concussions into the game. If your QB suffered a concussion, the screen should be blurry or wobbly... lol

Ha ha ha! That's funny!