• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith having "Devastating Complications" due to Infections; Has had Multiple Surgeries to Fight

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
journalists are certainly not exempt from hippa it just depends on how they came into the info
Yeah, went digging and it does appear to depend. I guess I am nosy :dhd:

Just a little skeptical someone would fuck over their career (@BurgundyBlog in this case) by doing that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, went digging and it does appear to depend. I guess I am nosy :dhd:

Just a little skeptical someone would fuck over their career (@BurgundyBlog in this case) by doing that.
as long as the info was not obtained from a healthcare worker....no hippa violation.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"To release additional information to a reporter, a hospital must obtain written authorization from the patient"

You are correct about the reporter. If he got it legally. If he got it from hospital staff or other covered, the person(s) leaking would be in violation.....
yep

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as the info was not obtained from a healthcare worker....no hippa violation.
If that's the case... Someone with the Redskins maybe? (I am assuming BurgundyBlog isn't so incompetent as to ruin themselves) would explain why the team is a little salty about this being out there.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case... Someone with the Redskins maybe? (I am assuming BurgundyBlog isn't so incompetent as to ruin themselves) would explain why the team is a little salty about this being out there.

Garafolo from NFL Network seems to be leading this. I will buy your explanation until news is out. It could be hard to keep a secret with so many watching.....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah someone with knowledge spilled. thats my guess........which wouldnt be any hippa violations......family, friends, hell another patient at the hospital, team work, ball boy

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually when thy say complications like that, thats what it is. Also if he has a compound spiral fracture, he most likely has some hardware in his leg. Its when the infection gets into the foreign material that its hard. Because there is no blood supply to that area. Often they need to then remove the hardware completely, insert antibiotic spacers, go on extended rounds of IV's , and then at a later date redo the surgery. Im hoping thats not it

I have a long time customer that had this very issue. She had a hip replaced and the new hip got infected so the Docs tried oral antibiotics followed by a stay at the hospital for several rounds of IV ABs. When that didn't work they took the new hip out, put in the AB blocks and sent her home where she was bedridden for 60 days.

At that point they installed a new hip again and within a week she was dealing with another infection and the previous course of treatment was done again. I was amazed when her husband told me that the 2nd hip was going to be extracted and she would be at home, bedridden for at least 90 days :eek:

That all happened 3 or 4 years ago and thankfully they were able to get the infection completely cleared up and she had a 3rd hip successfully installed and is now doing fine.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M
I have a long time customer that had this very issue. She had a hip replaced and the new hip got infected so the Docs tried oral antibiotics followed by a stay at the hospital for several rounds of IV ABs. When that didn't work they took the new hip out, put in the AB blocks and sent her home where she was bedridden for 60 days.

At that point they installed a new hip again and within a week she was dealing with another infection and the previous course of treatment was done again. I was amazed when her husband told me that the 2nd hip was going to be extracted and she would be at home, bedridden for at least 90 days :eek:

That all happened 3 or 4 years ago and thankfully they were able to get the infection completely cleared up and she had a 3rd hip successfully installed and is now doing fine.
yrah it’s when it gets into foreign material that ur in trouble glad she’s doing ok

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, that would seriously suck... I hope he will be fine - or at least good enough that if he is forced to quit the game, it will not impede him later in life.