• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith 4 years/$68M

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would you rather have him on this deal, or Kap on his deal?

I'd take Kap. Younger and more dynamic.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't stand Smith. Go show me a game other than the N.O playoff win in which he brought the team back from behind. He'll keep you in the game, but can never win it for you.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am happy for Alex and Kaep both with their respective contracts and teams. Glad Alex has found a home as I always was pulling for the guy.

There are other times besides NO and one that comes to mind was vs Detroit back in '11

San Francisco 49ers vs. Detroit Lions - Recap - October 16, 2011 - ESPN

"Smith's fourth-down, 6-yard pass to Delanie Walker gave San Francisco the go-ahead touchdown with 1:51 left"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't stand Smith. Go show me a game other than the N.O playoff win in which he brought the team back from behind. He'll keep you in the game, but can never win it for you.

You can't throw out one example and say never. He's has produced good games and bad games, came back from behind a Niners record in 2011, and started off terribly. Just be happy he's gone and we have Kaep. No need for the other stuff.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price a bit high IMO, but then again I really don't care much. Alex is set for life,happy for him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn that's a lot of money. WOW cant believe he got that much.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see Alex collect his big payday.

At least Alex is used to playing with a piss poor O-line and a non-existent receiving core.

Howdy SportsHoopla 9er Fans

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see Alex collect his big payday.

At least Alex is used to playing with a piss poor O-line and a non-existent receiving core.

Howdy SportsHoopla 9er Fans
Welcome Groo! :suds:. Kap doesn't have that excuse for the 9ers this season so it would seem the 9ers should the offense we were promised...no?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand we have seen great success(W-L) with Harbs/Romans Stanford O.

On the other, they have a QB with the arm strength to force the other team D's to have to defend the entire field.

While I expect more 3 WR formations,I can also see them hobbling Kaep's running in fear of lack of depth behind Kaep.

Most of my concerns rest on the D side of the ball.

The Niners will have to rely less on their D

Kaep has the best weapons(on paper) the Niners have had in a decade. Hopefully their pass blocking won't be AWOL when the games really count

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy for Alex but the Chef's got hosed, If they lose Jamal Charles for an extended period of time that team will be screwed.

I don't know if the Chiefs got "hosed" or that is just the going rate for starting QBs on playoff contending teams in the NFL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy for Alex but the Chef's got hosed, If they lose Jamal Charles for an extended period of time that team will be screwed.

Didn't seem to stop them produce in the playoff game when Charles went out on the first drive. Of course, they could have used him at the end to run some clock.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile in Green Bay this Rodgers guy continues to regress after those 2 amazing years where he won a Super Bowl and MVP. I'm not sure how valid the argument we took the wrong QB is anymore.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile in Green Bay this Rodgers guy continues to regress after those 2 amazing years where he won a Super Bowl and MVP. I'm not sure how valid the argument we took the wrong QB is anymore.

Seriously? No one would take Smith over Rodgers. Happy for Alex though. Look how many QBs drafted high end up struggling and then never amount to anything. Very rare to do what Alex has done. I think its an overpayment, but he's solid and played great in the playoffs against the Colts.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think Rodgers regressed. The team has too many holes. Their oline and D has had many injuries and has not played well
Too much has been put on Rodgers and they are too one demensional at times.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Rodgers regressed. The team has too many holes. Their oline and D has had many injuries and has not played well
Too much has been put on Rodgers and they are too one demensional at times.

I'd say he got the opposite of what Alex got. Rodgers came into a great situation as the starting QB and excelled with it. Every year though it seems like they lose talent around him and his game suffers for it. Alex had the opposite curve with us and the Chiefs. He came into a horrible situation that progressively got better each year.

I do still think Rodgers is worth more money, but I don't think the difference in their draft positions is that big anymore. They're both 2nd half of the 1st round QB's. Alex was grossly over drafted thought nothing was going to change that as we needed a QB and that whole draft sucked. Rodgers was probably drafted a little late for his talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to bring him up as little as I can these days, but I thought this was a good article. Read for stats, not conclusions, as everyone is biased, even stat wise. It's a little long but read until you can't, rather than skip due to length. Again, one mustn't agree with it, it's just a well compiled article.

The Phoenix takes flight: Alex Smith and the Chiefs set to prove everyone wrong. Again - Arrowhead Pride

Thanks for posting this article. I never would call Smith a bust. He probably will never live up to being selected number 1. in the draft but he is an average to good QB. About his low interception rates, that is not surprising. For whatever reason, Smith is very risk averse. He would rather check down then try to make a throw into tight coverage. The article does bring up a good point about his running. I always wondered why the 49ers did not try to take advantage of Smith's athleticism. I thought he did not scramble enough here. Lets see what happens this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow Smith looked bad today. Like really bad.