• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL always wins the All Star Game

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 in a row, and 27 of the last 34.

What does it mean? Not much really just interesting. Kind of.

All star week is boring but I guess even fans can use a break

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game itself has lost a lot of its allure since the advent of interleague play, IMO.

Seeing Kershaw against Judge was cool, because I don't think they've ever squared off before, but that used to be pretty much every AB in the ASG which made it special. Not so much anymore.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game itself has lost a lot of its allure since the advent of interleague play, IMO.

Seeing Kershaw against Judge was cool, because I don't think they've ever squared off before, but that used to be pretty much every AB in the ASG which made it special. Not so much anymore.

Hard to field the best possible rosters when you have fan voting and a rule that every team has to have at least one representative. Not to mention some of the biggest stars didn't play (Trout, Altuve, Arenado, Verlander, Alvarez, Cole, Harper just to name a few).

The fuckery with home field advantage probably hasn't helped.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And good lord did Stanton destroy that baseball

This pic of impact is pretty amazing.

View attachment 302566

I think the MVP should have gone to Buxton, because he did hit the game winning home run. But even he admitted that he copied Stanton's approach.

Not the travesty that some are whining about locally, because I could go either way on it. But I have to stick up for my guy.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's ridiculous to have 34 players on each league's roster. That represents a pretty big chunk of the league's players and it's just too many for one game. Either:

A. split it up into four teams like how the NHL does it,
B. Cut the rosters down to like 18 players per league. It's one game, do we really need 30+ players for one game? The All-Star game is supposed to draw casual fans in, and how are you going to do that when the likes of Jose Ramirez and Ohtani are only getting a couple of at bats and then guys like Garrett Cooper and C.J. Cron are batting, or the aces like Kershaw/McClanahan are only throwing one inning and then you get a bunch of relievers.
C. If you're going to have such massive rosters, why not just make it a best-of-3 series? That way not only will it be easier to get everyone some playing time, but they can get more meaningful playing time.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's ridiculous to have 34 players on each league's roster. That represents a pretty big chunk of the league's players and it's just too many for one game. Either:

A. split it up into four teams like how the NHL does it,
B. Cut the rosters down to like 18 players per league. It's one game, do we really need 30+ players for one game? The All-Star game is supposed to draw casual fans in, and how are you going to do that when the likes of Jose Ramirez and Ohtani are only getting a couple of at bats and then guys like Garrett Cooper and C.J. Cron are batting, or the aces like Kershaw/McClanahan are only throwing one inning and then you get a bunch of relievers.
C. If you're going to have such massive rosters, why not just make it a best-of-3 series? That way not only will it be easier to get everyone some playing time, but they can get more meaningful playing time.

Or do what I do......never watch it.....It's as exciting as the NFL Pro Bowl game now.....

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or do what I do......never watch it.....It's as exciting as the NFL Pro Bowl game now.....

I'm sorry, but that's an absurd statement. The Pro Bowl is by far the worst of every sport's All-Star Game and Baseball is by far the best as it's the only one that actually resembles the actual game itself.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but that's an absurd statement. The Pro Bowl is by far the worst of every sport's All-Star Game and Baseball is by far the best as it's the only one that actually resembles the actual game itself.

You're correct, there is nothing worse than the Pro Bowl.....the All Star game is just a watered down version of what I remember it being......

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And good lord did Stanton destroy that baseball

This pic of impact is pretty amazing.

View attachment 302566
That pitch was far more hittable than Buxton's was. It was neck-high.
This said, Stanton's homer was a typical shot from him. Impressive and very hard hit.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct, there is nothing worse than the Pro Bowl.....the All Star game is just a watered down version of what I remember it being......
I've come to the realization that the appeal of the All-Star game has really not changed at all in the last 100 years (or however long it has been around). The issue is that it is an event that appeals to fans who are 15 years old or younger (and of course the friends and families of the players).
So it's not that the all star game has changed, it's just that we have grown out of it.

(I don't know where I came up with 15 as the age we grow out of it, the point is it is an event for kids)

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's not that the all star game has changed, it's just that we have grown out of it.

Of course it's changed. Up until 1997, outside of the world series, it was the only time you could see an AL hitter against an NL pitcher and vice versa.

Now it's basically just another glorified inter-league game.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's changed. Up until 1997, outside of the world series, it was the only time you could see an AL hitter against an NL pitcher and vice versa.

Ok, I'll give you that. But for me personally, even if there was not interleague play I don't know if I'd really be that excited to see Mike Stanton take an At Bat against Clayton Kershaw.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think thats the problem... the problem is tv... AS games were televised all over and it was the only opportunity viewers could watch these players... Now that we can, the allure of seeing them is not big... maybe the NL/AL thing has a small affect too... but really i think people would be saying the same thing with or without it...

the other big problem is that players are being paid too much too risk their health on a scrimmage... thats why the roster size is too large... nobody wants their pitcher to pitch in the game...

overall all all star games suck now.. NHL is probably the best, because they are the only ones who are inventive...

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think thats the problem... the problem is tv... AS games were televised all over and it was the only opportunity viewers could watch these players... Now that we can, the allure of seeing them is not big... maybe the NL/AL thing has a small affect too... but really i think people would be saying the same thing with or without it...

the other big problem is that players are being paid too much too risk their health on a scrimmage... thats why the roster size is too large... nobody wants their pitcher to pitch in the game...

overall all all star games suck now.. NHL is probably the best, because they are the only ones who are inventive...

I don't know. I grew up in NY so I could watch the Yankees or the Mets whenever I wanted to, but if I wanted to see Ron Guidry pitch to Lee Mazzilli, or Dwight Gooden pitch to Don Mattingly, well, there was only one game all year where I could see that.

For me, that's what made the ASG a special event. That "special-ness" died in 1997.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I grew up in NY so I could watch the Yankees or the Mets whenever I wanted to, but if I wanted to see Ron Guidry pitch to Lee Mazzilli, or Dwight Gooden pitch to Don Mattingly, well, there was only one game all year where I could see that.

For me, that's what made the ASG a special event. That "special-ness" died in 1997.

I agree with that... but did interleague play ruin that or is it the fact that most players jump teams a lot?? or Both??

But i can concede that your point has validity...

i should have said, that the all star games problem is not ONLY interleague play... and i dont think it is the major problem...

Id say it has a lot working against it

In no particular order(stopping at 6)

1. interleague play has given us some of the matchups that we would be most excited about to watch in the all star game
2. TV and highlights have allowed us to see the best players
3. Player salaries have scared owners of overusing their players in the all-star game
4. Baseball is already a dying sport, seeing the game filled with all-stars does not make the game more exciting, its still baseball(for the average fan)- this years game ended with a 3-2 score... WOW thats exciting...
5. similar to 1. but most players jump teams often, it is not often to see a matchup you have never seen before...
6. Ticket prices are even MORE expensive than a standard game which has already priced most people out of going to games...

my solutions to be inventive for all-star game and EVENTS

1. Have and promote something besides just the HR derby... Maybe have skills events like a SB competition, and do something for pitchers too(harder since there is a fear of them to get hurt)

2. Location... doesnt need to be MLB stadiums... actually it shouldnt be... let the location be part of the appeal... whether it is the Field of dreams in Iowa, or if they build pop up stadiums around the country

3. Same solution i have for fixing baseball in general, but find a way to get families back into the crowd... Baseball is about the children, not corporate america, and celebrities...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that... but did interleague play ruin that or is it the fact that most players jump teams a lot?? or Both??

But i can concede that your point has validity...

i should have said, that the all star games problem is not ONLY interleague play... and i dont think it is the major problem...

Id say it has a lot working against it

In no particular order(stopping at 6)

1. interleague play has given us some of the matchups that we would be most excited about to watch in the all star game
2. TV and highlights have allowed us to see the best players
3. Player salaries have scared owners of overusing their players in the all-star game
4. Baseball is already a dying sport, seeing the game filled with all-stars does not make the game more exciting, its still baseball(for the average fan)- this years game ended with a 3-2 score... WOW thats exciting...
5. similar to 1. but most players jump teams often, it is not often to see a matchup you have never seen before...
6. Ticket prices are even MORE expensive than a standard game which has already priced most people out of going to games...

my solutions to be inventive for all-star game and EVENTS

1. Have and promote something besides just the HR derby... Maybe have skills events like a SB competition, and do something for pitchers too(harder since there is a fear of them to get hurt)

2. Location... doesnt need to be MLB stadiums... actually it shouldnt be... let the location be part of the appeal... whether it is the Field of dreams in Iowa, or if they build pop up stadiums around the country

3. Same solution i have for fixing baseball in general, but find a way to get families back into the crowd... Baseball is about the children, not corporate america, and celebrities...
ok I'm starting to come around to you guys' idea that interleague play made a big difference. That and the fact that the games are more available to watch on tv/internet now than they were in the past.