• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Additional outfielders

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So FZ has stated recently that he plans to bring in additional outfielders by the start of camp. There are not a whole lot of outfielders left. I know that I've created polls of all three outfield positions and listed who is left on the market for each but I thought I'd put them all together on a separate thread. Would you be okay with the team signing any of the below? Why? And what level of comfort would you have in the amount of playing time that they should get?
Hunter Pence (34) - .910 (primarily DH'd last year)
Cameron Maybin (33) - .858

Yasiel Puig (29) - .785
Domingo Santana (27) - .770
Cesar Puello (29) - .740
Kevin Pillar (31) - .719
Melky Cabrera (35) - .713

Curtis Granderson (39) - .637
Jarrod Dyson (35) - .633
Rajai Davis (39) - .631
Jon Jay (35) - .626
Leonys Martin (32) - .619
Juan Lagares (31) - .605
Charlie Tilson (27) - .578
Carlos Gonzalez (34) - .572
Billy Hamilton (29) - .564
Mark Trumbo (34) - .502 (primarily a DH)
Gorkys Hernandez (32) - .463
Lonnie Chisenhall (31) - .846 (2018)Jacoby Ellsbury (36) - .750 (2017)
Peter Bourjos (33) - .222

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll need some depth and we can't say its a lock that the current front runners are a lock to keep their position for the entire season.

I'd bring back Pillar. Decent performance last year, connection with the fans, familiarity with the Cove (should perform even better with the new fence). If the current crop performs and some high ceiling prospect emerges, they can always drop him.

No one else really excite me

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana is the youngest on the list. Hits for power, but is a less than stellar RF.

Puig (in spite of his background as a D______) is intriguing. Though may not fit well in the clubhouse. FZ knows him, though. Does hit for power and has a cannon of an arm. Grant Brisbee made a case for Puig recently in the Athletic, and did it seriously, but while holding his nose.

I've always like Hamilton, who had a terrible season last year. He's a good CF, and has some wheels. Or at least HAD some wheels. He could be a really good backup in CF. Cheaper than Pillar. No power, though.

Would enjoy Pence coming back for a curtain call, for sure. Not sure how he helps, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll need some depth and we can't say its a lock that the current front runners are a lock to keep their position for the entire season.

I'd bring back Pillar. Decent performance last year, connection with the fans, familiarity with the Cove (should perform even better with the new fence). If the current crop performs and some high ceiling prospect emerges, they can always drop him.

No one else really excite me
Last week, I thought Pillar was most likely coming back. However, now that the Pirates have a sudden need in center field and are said to be looking outside the organization to replace Marte, I think he'll land there. Pillar is probably the best center field option available to start on a regular basis. No one else looks good enough to start on a regular basis.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana is the youngest on the list. Hits for power, but is a less than stellar RF.

Puig (in spite of his background as a D______) is intriguing. Though may not fit well in the clubhouse. FZ knows him, though. Does hit for power and has a cannon of an arm. Grant Brisbee made a case for Puig recently in the Athletic, and did it seriously, but while holding his nose.

I've always like Hamilton, who had a terrible season last year. He's a good CF, and has some wheels. Or at least HAD some wheels. He could be a really good backup in CF. Cheaper than Pillar. No power, though.

Would enjoy Pence coming back for a curtain call, for sure. Not sure how he helps, though.
Santana is intriguing, especially because of his age and he had a good season just two years ago. However, while he started 2019 well, he really struggled towards the end of the season. Not sure about how I'd feel about him but definitely one of the better options.
For the right price, and on a short term contract, I might be okay with Puig. It would be hard to see him in orange & black, but he does have pop and a cannon. However, if he still wants a 3 year or longer contract, I'd rather pass. His early decline would make that length alarming.
No on Hamilton. He may be better defensively than Duggar but his bat is much worse. I'd rather go with Duggar as a 4th outfielder and Hamilton.
Pence would work as the 26th man but it seems his best move would be an AL team for 2020. Maybe he could return in 2021, when the NL has the DH (right @calsnowskier ?).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana is intriguing, especially because of his age and he had a good season just two years ago. However, while he started 2019 well, he really struggled towards the end of the season. Not sure about how I'd feel about him but definitely one of the better options.
For the right price, and on a short term contract, I might be okay with Puig. It would be hard to see him in orange & black, but he does have pop and a cannon. However, if he still wants a 3 year or longer contract, I'd rather pass. His early decline would make that length alarming.
No on Hamilton. He may be better defensively than Duggar but his bat is much worse. I'd rather go with Duggar as a 4th outfielder and Hamilton.
Pence would work as the 26th man but it seems his best move would be an AL team for 2020. Maybe he could return in 2021, when the NL has the DH (right @calsnowskier ?).

I really don't want to see Puig in spite of his talent. He's club house poison. The Giant's are not going anywhere in the foreseeable future and I see nothing he contributes to a rebuild

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want to see Puig in spite of his talent. He's club house poison. The Giant's are not going anywhere in the foreseeable future and I see nothing he contributes to a rebuild
The problem I see with this FO is that they are treating it as a reload, which means plenty of mediocre veterans.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I see with this FO is that they are treating it as a reload, which means plenty of mediocre veterans.

Season ticket holders are currently looking at re-uping. 2 of our 5 person group dropped out this year - all original PacBell/ATT/Oracle holders

It would behoove teh FO to convince us we won't be in a 5yr battle w/ San Diego for the NL West cellar. Right now, that's the outlook.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will cut you.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can scratch two names off this list. Both Peter Bourjos and Curtis Granderson recently announced their retirements.

Hunter Pence (34) - .910 (primarily DH'd last year)
Cameron Maybin (33) - .858

Yasiel Puig (29) - .785
Domingo Santana (27) - .770
Cesar Puello (29) - .740
Kevin Pillar (31) - .719
Melky Cabrera (35) - .713

Jarrod Dyson (35) - .633
Rajai Davis (39) - .631
Jon Jay (35) - .626
Leonys Martin (32) - .619
Juan Lagares (31) - .605
Charlie Tilson (27) - .578
Carlos Gonzalez (34) - .572
Billy Hamilton (29) - .564
Mark Trumbo (34) - .502 (primarily a DH)
Gorkys Hernandez (32) - .463
Lonnie Chisenhall (31) - .846 (2018)
Jacoby Ellsbury (36) - .750 (2017)