• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adams or Smallwood?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to the game in Dallas in Week 14, Sproles has gotten roughly ~40% of the snaps at running back (actually 44.2% @Dallas, 31.3% @LA, 50.0% against Houston, and 38.0% @Washington).

That leaves about 60% of the snaps for Smallwood and Adams, with Josh Adams being favored between the two. I really don't like the way Adams runs. I'm not saying he's terrible (especially for an UDFA), but he hesitates way too much when there's a hole, and yeah, he's big, but it's not like he's extremely hard to get down. Personally, I think Smallwood is the better back at this point. He's certainly a better option catching passes, and is a better blocker too. Statistically, his rushing stats are very similar to Adams this year (4.2 Y/A for Smallwood, 4.3 for Adams), but I think he's a better runner. But even calling that a wash, I still wish Smallwood would get more snaps based on pass protection and the screen game.

Who do you guys favor?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to the game in Dallas in Week 14, Sproles has gotten roughly ~40% of the snaps at running back (actually 44.2% @Dallas, 31.3% @LA, 50.0% against Houston, and 38.0% @Washington).

That leaves about 60% of the snaps for Smallwood and Adams, with Josh Adams being favored between the two. I really don't like the way Adams runs. I'm not saying he's terrible (especially for an UDFA), but he hesitates way too much when there's a hole, and yeah, he's big, but it's not like he's extremely hard to get down. Personally, I think Smallwood is the better back at this point. He's certainly a better option catching passes, and is a better blocker too. Statistically, his rushing stats are very similar to Adams this year (4.2 Y/A for Smallwood, 4.3 for Adams), but I think he's a better runner. But even calling that a wash, I still wish Smallwood would get more snaps based on pass protection and the screen game.

Who do you guys favor?

Probably Smallwood at the moment. The problem is he is hot and cold.

Problem with Adams is much like you said. Give him a hole he knows is coming and it’s an easy 4-5 yards, maybe more. But he hasn’t shown the instinct to bounce and find a hole if what he expects isn’t there. Lots of negative yard plays because of that.

As it goes you take the hot hand. For a bit that was Adams, currently its Smallwood. At least until it’s not.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In April, draft a stud RB with the 64th pick and take a stud WR at 32.
For this year, Adams APPEARS to be the better back.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smallwood imo is the more agile and quicker Back. Neither he nor Adams are anything special though and I would certainly look at RB (maybe 4th round) in the upcoming draft. Adams is ok when the blocking is there, but he's not a guy who can create when the blocking isn't on point. Smallwood is shiftier and can sneak through gaps better when the initial blocked holes close up. I would give Smallwood and Sproles top snaps against Chicago and use Adams only sparingly.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really like adams, but smallwood is playing like his career is on the line right now.. so i'd prefer he get those secondary snaps. he's flying in the hole and smashing into guys. plus his speed is a bonus in the screen game.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams.
I've only seen Swallwoods speed on plays that get called back.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been anti-Smallwood all year but you can’t deny that he’s played well lately. I think, right now, both deserve some playing time, with a lean toward Smallwood right now.

I haven’t noticed recently...but Smallwood was terrible in pass protection earlier in the year. I’m not sure he’s much up an upgrade over Adams.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
neither?

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both have their place but Adams my have the higher ceiling. I am looking forward to bring a true #1 back in next year but until then keep riding the hot hand.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I really like in the college ranks is Alabama's Josh Jacobs (talent-wise reminds me of Joe Mixon). They do it committee style at Bama, so college stats won't wow anyone, but this kid has pro potential and tools. We get one more chance to see him play in the Championship Game next Monday.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both have their place but Adams my have the higher ceiling. I am looking forward to bring a true #1 back in next year but until then keep riding the hot hand.

I am hopeful as far as the future goes that Adams has the higher ceiling. Limitations I have seen could be coached out, or could be the kind of things that limit a guy out of the league eventually. Hard to say.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I really like in the college ranks is Alabama's Josh Jacobs (talent-wise reminds me of Joe Mixon). They do it committee style at Bama, so college stats won't wow anyone, but this kid has pro potential and tools. We get one more chance to see him play in the Championship Game next Monday.

They may draft a RB but I’d be shocked if they don’t bring in a veteran - Mark Ingram may be too expensive, but you’ve got some guys like TJ Yeldon, Spencer Ware, and former Eagles legend Frank Gore set to hit free agency.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run em all but call better plays.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who do you guys favor?
I don't really like either. Wish we had Blount or Ajayi or Clement.

Give me more Smallwood than Adams though. I agree that Adams style leaves a lot of yardage on the field. He's had his moments though. I'd definitely give him some early drives to see if he can be decisive and fall forward and shorten the 3rd down distances for Foles. Smallwood is more likely to make a 40 yard play and that's how we'll have to beat them.

I'd like to see a formation with both pass catching backs out there and motioning around. We have to give this Bears defense some new looks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up Rey we're in the playoffs THIS year!!!

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me..you are bill belechicking this thing.

play both and keep the hotter guy in the game

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really like either. Wish we had Blount or Ajayi or Clement.

Give me more Smallwood than Adams though. I agree that Adams style leaves a lot of yardage on the field. He's had his moments though. I'd definitely give him some early drives to see if he can be decisive and fall forward and shorten the 3rd down distances for Foles. Smallwood is more likely to make a 40 yard play and that's how we'll have to beat them.

I'd like to see a formation with both pass catching backs out there and motioning around. We have to give this Bears defense some new looks.

I see it a bit differently. Adams seems good for a 20-40 yard run or two but has a lot of -1 to 1 yard runs. Smallwood recently seems to have a decent number of 5-15 yard runs where he just hits a hole and picks up decent chunks on the ground. Maybe the bigger runs will come with more snaps. Who knows.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it a bit differently. Adams seems good for a 20-40 yard run or two but has a lot of -1 to 1 yard runs. Smallwood recently seems to have a decent number of 5-15 yard runs where he just hits a hole and picks up decent chunks on the ground. Maybe the bigger runs will come with more snaps. Who knows.
That hole was enormous. You or me would have ran for 40 on that one Adams did.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That hole was enormous. You or me would have ran for 40 on that one Adams did.

Fair enough. Smallwood has a bit more speed and can get more from big holes. I was also impressed with his patience on some runs. He’s improved a bit from earlier in the year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Smallwood has a bit more speed and can get more from big holes. I was also impressed with his patience on some runs. He’s improved a bit from earlier in the year.
I think someone nailed it up thread. Smallwood is running like his career is on the line. And that's great timing for us!