• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Rank Discusses Bengals

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In closing​

The Bengals are one of the most interesting teams in the league. The offense has the makings of being something special. I'm kind of bummed they were given only one prime-time game this season because I want to see a lot more of them. They might not end up being the best team in NFL history, but I really do believe they are going to be one of the most enjoyable teams to watch.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In closing​

The Bengals are one of the most interesting teams in the league. The offense has the makings of being something special. I'm kind of bummed they were given only one prime-time game this season because I want to see a lot more of them. They might not end up being the best team in NFL history, but I really do believe they are going to be one of the most enjoyable teams to watch.
They could get flexed late in the season - we'll have to wait and see how that unfolds.

I agree that, offensively, they are set up to be really fun to watch. A healthy Burrow and a health Mixon with Boyd, Higgins, Chase, Tate - if the OL is even marginally better than last year - they are going to put up some video game like numbers.

Defensively - I'm curious. Last year the Bengals had the worst injury luck in the NFL on defense. At one point, I *think* they had 7 projected starters out, with several of those out for the season. Having depth is key, but when you lose 4 of your top 5 DL - no team has that kind of depth. When you lose 3/4 of your top 5 CB's, no team has that kind of depth.

I've not been a fan of the DC, but he's also not been playing with a full deck of cards, if I am being fair to him.

If the offense can improve enough to score 3-7 more points a game, and the defense can improve enough to get 2-3 more stops per game, leading to more offensive possessions - that means more points scored, and less points given up. When you consider that they lost, I think it was, 7 games by 8 points or less last year - even despite all of the issues/injuries....the Bengals *could* be set up much better than anyone is anticipating.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could get flexed late in the season - we'll have to wait and see how that unfolds.

I agree that, offensively, they are set up to be really fun to watch. A healthy Burrow and a health Mixon with Boyd, Higgins, Chase, Tate - if the OL is even marginally better than last year - they are going to put up some video game like numbers.

Defensively - I'm curious. Last year the Bengals had the worst injury luck in the NFL on defense. At one point, I *think* they had 7 projected starters out, with several of those out for the season. Having depth is key, but when you lose 4 of your top 5 DL - no team has that kind of depth. When you lose 3/4 of your top 5 CB's, no team has that kind of depth.

I've not been a fan of the DC, but he's also not been playing with a full deck of cards, if I am being fair to him.

If the offense can improve enough to score 3-7 more points a game, and the defense can improve enough to get 2-3 more stops per game, leading to more offensive possessions - that means more points scored, and less points given up. When you consider that they lost, I think it was, 7 games by 8 points or less last year - even despite all of the issues/injuries....the Bengals *could* be set up much better than anyone is anticipating.
I am not a big fan of Anarumo either, but I did notice the defense was starting to take on a big of an attitude later in the season, especially during and after the Pittsburgh game. So with some new players, more experience, and health, maybe his scheme can make me a believer, possibly.

Now considering Pittsburgh is always going to have that great D, just expected from them, and they have some weapons on offense, I think between Ben's age and mobility and the fact they lost 4 of their 5 starting offensive lineman and struggled to resign anyone, they could battling for the cellar with us. However, Ben is Ben and if he gets hot he is as good as anyone in the league. His health is an issue as well.

Baltimore, they have a pretty dang good team on both sides, but you know what Baltimore's offense is built around, the run and options, so everything we have been building on defense the last two years personnel wise has been to stop or slow down Baltimore. Their defense is very good though and going to keep them in the running for the division title.

Cleveland is just loaded everywhere and I think the best, more versatile team in division if not one of the top 3 teams in conference. They can pass, they can run, they play lights out defense with their strong dline and secondary. LB'ers have improved. Cleveland is no joke and going to give every team they face this year all they can handle. I don't think they will see a game like they did last year in the opener where Baltimore ate their lunch. Kansas City, Buffalo and Cleveland I think are the teams to beat in the conference this year.

Those are 6 tough games for Cincinnati, but those games will battle harden us to compete with anyone else in the league. In my opinion, best division in football this year along side NFC West. I think we can win as many as 7-8 out of 11 games outside our division this year, and hopefully get 2 maybe 3 wins against our division this year, although that is ordering up a lot of wishing there. Maybe we can get lucky and sweep Pittsburgh for the first time in forever, and then get lucky and beat one of the other two teams once.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another legit weapon we may have this year that we haven't had in the past is McPherson and his big leg. So even if the offense stalls just inside the opponents territory, we can attempt up to 60 yard FG's depending on conditions.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another legit weapon we may have this year that we haven't had in the past is McPherson and his big leg. So even if the offense stalls just inside the opponents territory, we can attempt up to 60 yard FG's depending on conditions.
Agreed.

The rule changes in kick has put a bit more emphasis on the accuracy and leg/distance of FG. In a 2 minute drill, it's much easier to go 30 yards than 55 to win a game if you have a reliable FG kicker. Changes the who complexity of the offense, and thus the defense.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the offense is predicated on Burrow's physical and mental recovery. Assuming he's the same guy and assuming some better health, the offense is intriguing. Legit weapons all over the field and a lot of ways they can beat you. I expect they will generate a lot of yards and the big stat will be how efficient they are in the redzone.

The defense is setting up to be a bend-but-don't-break deal.... The safety combination and the veteran corners *should* help prevent explosive pass plays. But, until further notice, this team suffers when rushing the passer and could get pushed around a little down the field. Again, if they can figure something out in the redzone, limit damage to field goals, improve on turning the ball over (they were historically low so this should likely happen), and turn it over to the offense and we might have a formula.

As for the division - I think Baltimore will be the team we struggle with the most. That has certainly been the case the last two years. The way they are built really tests the weaknesses in our defense. We struggle at the edge, can't contain tight ends, and don't know what to do with a running QB. Their cover zero defensive pressures really through Burrow for a loop - Without the threat of the run game, those guys just tee off on the QB. During the Flacco years, we owned the Ravens - Tides have turned and we just don't match up well with them.

Cleveland's offense scares me. Their coach has a really good system and I think it's one that Mayfield will succeed in. They are legit. But, we played them tight two times last year and I think we can compete with them.

Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh..... I always hear about their impeding demise. It never seems to arrive. They'll pull some sort of magical rabbit out of a hat and be better than everyone expects. It's just the way that franchise rolls. Wake me up when it changes.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are dead to me but they look better on paper this year

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just need to have the strength to stop watching if Burrow gets injured again.