• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Eaton returning

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eaton just signed a 1 year $7 million deal to return. Does he replace our RFer?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eaton just signed a 1 year $7 million deal to return. Does he replace our RFer?
I'm not sure how to take this. Eaton may play RF, but he will not be the LH power bat the Sox need - so there will be a DH signing I expect (and it won't be Todd Frazier).

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Schwarber as the DH? Eaton will be OK in right although his arm is not what I would want from my guy in right. He knows how to take the right route to the ball and which base to throw to. You won't see him make a big mistake.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eaton wouldnt be my first choice for a RFer either but none of us were happy with what we had last year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarber or Pederson for DH.

I'm warming up to Eaton - Todd Frazier is not around anymore - so I guess its safe. He brings playoff experience - help with club speed and smart on the base paths - Left Handed bat - can bunt a guy over (La Russa likes that) - occassional power. He should see good pitches in the Sox lineup.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited for the Sox being excited and getting some of their moves done early (even though I expected it).

I know...I know...Some of it is because we're money conscious and we're trying to not only fill needs, but fill them "efficiently"...but still...It shows we're trying to take that step..

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully last year was just an off year. he's only 31 so should have something left in him.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully last year was just an off year. he's only 31 so should have something left in him.

It'll do. I originally thought we'd go with a bigger signing and then go Vaughn at 1b relief/DH...but after today's 2 moves, I'm leaning that we're gonna find a DH/OF Platoon guy as well.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - hey we can thank Eaton for bringing Giolito to the South Side - if nothing else. Also for bringing most of Lance Lynn to the Sox as well. ;)

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - hey we can thank Eaton for bringing Giolito to the South Side - if nothing else. Also for bringing most of Lance Lynn to the Sox as well. ;)
I'm not happy trading a top 100 prospect under control for 6 years for one year of Lynn. I like Lynn, just not one year of him for Dunning.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not happy trading a top 100 prospect under control for 6 years for one year of Lynn. I like Lynn, just not one year of him for Dunning.

I mean...We have Kopech, Cease, Crochet...There's only so many spots. Eventually you want the team on the field to be the best it can be too. How many years have we been "rebuilding?"

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...We have Kopech, Cease, Crochet...There's only so many spots. Eventually you want the team on the field to be the best it can be too. How many years have we been "rebuilding?"
My angle is I want them to sign a FA starting pitcher and save the pitching prospect capital for a trade for a player under contract for more than a year. Why can't the Sox spend $$ on FA pitching?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My angle is I want them to sign a FA starting pitcher and save the pitching prospect capital for a trade for a player under contract for more than a year. Why can't the Sox spend $$ on FA pitching?

You realize that the difference between Bauer and Lynn is probably 9 figures, right? And Dunning was the only thing between that....Let it play out? I'm all about spending Jerry's money...but let's not act like Dunning was the death of our farm...The 3 hole in our rotation was most definitely the death of our playoff chances though...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been warning my fellow Sox diehards for some time now fans not to expect any major elite signings such as Bauer for the rotation or Springer for the OF. Just not gonna happen. Lynn for Dunning to me is a no-brainer. And while I'm not all that crazy about Spanky returning, I will say that out of the existing non-elite RFers out there, he's probably the best defensively, and he does bring a LH bat with him. I expect a platoon with him and Engel (the two Adams) this coming season.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that the difference between Bauer and Lynn is probably 9 figures, right? And Dunning was the only thing between that....Let it play out? I'm all about spending Jerry's money...but let's not act like Dunning was the death of our farm...The 3 hole in our rotation was most definitely the death of our playoff chances though...
So? Spend money. He has it. Go all in. Never said nor implied Dunning was the death of the farm if traded.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been warning my fellow Sox diehards for some time now fans not to expect any major elite signings such as Bauer for the rotation or Springer for the OF. Just not gonna happen. Lynn for Dunning to me is a no-brainer. And while I'm not all that crazy about Spanky returning, I will say that out of the existing non-elite RFers out there, he's probably the best defensively, and he does bring a LH bat with him. I expect a platoon with him and Engel (the two Adams) this coming season.
I like to dabble in pipe dreams.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's plenty where Dunning came from - Kopech - Cease - Stiever - Lambert and Crochet - someone had to go. Dunning had a ceiling of a 3 or 4 in the rotation - Kopech - Cease and Crochet - all have potential to top of the rotation spots. Meanwhile - the Sox get three top pitchers - who finished 5-6-and 7 for the Cy Young award just this past season. Three top pitchers makes you competitive in EVERY playoff series. I would have rather traded Stiever or Lambert instead of Dunning, but the deal makes sense.

I will add - Lynn has a rubber arm- he is a workhorse - Dunning's debut would seem to prove the opposite of workhorse.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's plenty where Dunning came from - Kopech - Cease - Stiever - Lambert and Crochet - someone had to go. Dunning had a ceiling of a 3 or 4 in the rotation - Kopech - Cease and Crochet - all have potential to top of the rotation spots. Meanwhile - the Sox get three top pitchers - who finished 5-6-and 7 for the Cy Young award just this past season. Three top pitchers makes you competitive in EVERY playoff series. I would have rather traded Stiever or Lambert instead of Dunning, but the deal makes sense.

I will add - Lynn has a rubber arm- he is a workhorse - Dunning's debut would seem to prove the opposite of workhorse.
You nailed it Mingo. I doubt there's a Sox fan out there who's thrilled to see Dunning's name involved in this trade. But like you said, we have a stable of young arms (you didn't even mention them all) who can eventually carry the torch. Besides, as one of the MLB beat writers said in a column today, there were at least 5 teams in talks with the Rangers regarding a Lynn trade. Hahn undoubtedly had to up the ante in order to lock in the acquisition.