• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Abreu

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just agreed to a 3 year deal for 50 mill with him

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy, you keep finding these breaking stories. Good for you and thanks for sharing.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. Don’t get why the Sox did it though

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The same reason why Jose Abreu will be coaching with us sometime down the line like a lot of the other White Sox lifer types before him have done...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, when you think about it, we're really only talking an additional two years, being he was already on the books for 2020. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but it's worth repeating. My take is there will be very little, if any dropoff of Abreu's skill set in the next few years. The ones who tend to show a notable decline in performance are the more athletic players. Abreu has always been way more hitter than athlete. He's never been a runner, so there will be no decline in speed. His compact and controlled swing & bat speed have not changed one bit from the day he first donned a Sox uniform. It stands to reason that how he plays the game now should be extremely close to how he'll play it in 2022. Abreu is if nothing else, the model of consistency.

I won't dwell much on the leadership and off the field value he brings to the organization, as that's so much more subjective. But it has been stated on numerous occasions as to how strongly his teammates feel about him remaining on the ballclub, and that has to count for something.

I have no idea how long he'll play for the White Sox, especially beyond 2022. But I'm certain that barring any unforeseen major injuries, he'll be playing in the bigs well into his later 30's.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, when you think about it, we're really only talking an additional two years, being he was already on the books for 2020. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but it's worth repeating. My take is there will be very little, if any dropoff of Abreu's skill set in the next few years. The ones who tend to show a notable decline in performance are the more athletic players. Abreu has always been way more hitter than athlete. He's never been a runner, so there will be no decline in speed. His compact and controlled swing & bat speed have not changed one bit from the day he first donned a Sox uniform. It stands to reason that how he plays the game now should be extremely close to how he'll play it in 2022. Abreu is if nothing else, the model of consistency.

I won't dwell much on the leadership and off the field value he brings to the organization, as that's so much more subjective. But it has been stated on numerous occasions as to how strongly his teammates feel about him remaining on the ballclub, and that has to count for something.

I have no idea how long he'll play for the White Sox, especially beyond 2022. But I'm certain that barring any unforeseen major injuries, he'll be playing in the bigs well into his later 30's.
But they were bidding against themselves. This is the white sox way. Pay guys for what they did and not for what they are going to do. It’s a huge assumption that he will continue to be the player he has been as he reaches his mid 30s. Why not see how he performs this yr and then negotiate? It’s not like a guy in his mid 30s is going to draw a crazy contract in free agency that the Sox can’t Match