• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Rodgers Legacy On The Line

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if anyone else has thought about this, but in my opinion, I believe Aaron Rodgers legacy will be defined by what he is able to do with his next head coach (most likely his last HC).

It's become more and more clear over the past few years that Rodgers never really had much respect for McCarthy and it's pretty apparent that McCarthy is now gone because Rodgers wanted him gone. Rodgers (and the Packers organization) have now put the QB above and more important than the head coach.

What that means to me is that Rodgers will now (and should be) 100% responsible for the success and failure of the team on the field until he retires. He is going to get a coach he 'approves' of. He and this approved coach will be able to dictate to the front office what pieces are needed on the roster to help Rodgers on the field. The excuses for Rodgers only appearing in 1 SB after all of these years has been head coaching and lack of roster talent

Here's the problem, though.... and I'm not sure this has crossed Aaron's mind .... if he and and this new and improved head coach want to dictate to the front office what pieces are needed on the roster, they may run into a stumbling block ........ Rodgers enormous contract.... .... it's certainly going to be challenging to add talent via Free Agency when Rodgers is eating up so much of the cap space with his huge deal. And Rodgers doesn't really have a lot of time to let a roster develop via drafts.

So, Rodgers is going to get 'his' coach ... and Rodgers gets the highest paid player contract he wanted. So, the way I see it, this is now ALL on Rodgers and if the last 3 or 4 years of his career play out similarly to the past 3 or 4 seasons in Green Bay, I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers legacy is going to be anywhere what we thought it should have been.

Rodgers highest paid contract will be the highest paid until Goff and other QBs in their first contract come due. That is just the way the game is now days. Is Aaron living in your head?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers highest paid contract will be the highest paid until Goff and other QBs in their first contract come due. That is just the way the game is now days. Is Aaron living in your head?

Yes, I think about aaron 24/7 ... he's dreamy

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd best offensive line (Per PFF) in the league. Jimmy Graham, Adams, Cobb.

Rodgers is immune to criticism in cheese country.

I would be nice if Cobb had played more than 6 games this year

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins looked awesome against the Patriots... :rolleyes2:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hear you. That's just how I see it. He's a world-class talent that doesn't have the drive or temperament to be a Brady/Montana/Manning.
You are clueless.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers suck.

Anyone paying attention knew this before the season.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His legacy is already written: Talented arm. Head case. He's not a winner. He's Dan Marino.

So you mean he's going to hang round his team for 40 years telling them what to do and helping them achieve mediocrity like the Dolphins?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if anyone else has thought about this, but in my opinion, I believe Aaron Rodgers legacy will be defined by what he is able to do with his next head coach (most likely his last HC).

It's become more and more clear over the past few years that Rodgers never really had much respect for McCarthy and it's pretty apparent that McCarthy is now gone because Rodgers wanted him gone. Rodgers (and the Packers organization) have now put the QB above and more important than the head coach.
What that means to me is that Rodgers will now (and should be) 100% responsible for the success and failure of the team on the field until he retires. He is going to get a coach he 'approves' of. He and this approved coach will be able to dictate to the front office what pieces are needed on the roster to help Rodgers on the field. The excuses for Rodgers only appearing in 1 SB after all of these years has been head coaching and lack of roster talent

Here's the problem, though.... and I'm not sure this has crossed Aaron's mind .... if he and and this new and improved head coach want to dictate to the front office what pieces are needed on the roster, they may run into a stumbling block ........ Rodgers enormous contract.... .... it's certainly going to be challenging to add talent via Free Agency when Rodgers is eating up so much of the cap space with his huge deal. And Rodgers doesn't really have a lot of time to let a roster develop via drafts.

So, Rodgers is going to get 'his' coach ... and Rodgers gets the highest paid player contract he wanted. So, the way I see it, this is now ALL on Rodgers and if the last 3 or 4 years of his career play out similarly to the past 3 or 4 seasons in Green Bay, I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers legacy is going to be anywhere what we thought it should have been.

As for a coach he "approves of" I don't see that happening. If Peyton Manning can't pick his coach, I don't see Rodgers doing that. And Mark Murphy has made it 100% clear that won't be the case.

I think that cap hit get's overrated. Next year the Packers are 8th in QB spending, 1 spot ahead of the Dolphins and about 5 million over the league average at the position. Meanwhile they are spending 13 million on players not on the team like Clinton Dix and Bennett. And in a couple years I doubt he will be the top paid QB as new guys get new deals.

The real benefit at QB is either getting lucky with a backup low cost guy blowing up (think Vikings with Case Keenum last year) or the rookie scale QB's (Eagles/Rams). It doesn't give you an out if you are awful with your FA's anymore. But if you have a crap GM making bad moves you likely aren't winning anyways.

As for the 1 SB.. Do you put that on the 2nd best offense in the post-season since Rodgers took over (ahead of all but the Saints). Or the defense that's been bottom 3 (with Det and Atl as only ones giving up over 26 a game and 6.1 yards per play, none of the teams doing that this year have a record over .500 vs. regular season opponents). Those other two bottom 3 defenses have team records of 4-9 in the post-season. GB is 9-7 with a SB ring. So if that doesn't change why is Rodgers 100% responsible for the awfulness when he's on the sideline?

So as for his legacy, he was able to go up against some of the greatest ever and outplay them. He clearly was in that elite grouping of Manning, Brady, and Brees, and at times the best of that group. He won MVP's and a SB MVP. He was so great a 21TD-1INT season has us saying "whats wrong with him".

A later start and injuries have held him back along with questionable coaching.

I think that kinda puts him in the same boat I remember Steve Young in. More physical talent than Marino, Elway, Montana, Moon, Kelly. When he was on the top of his game, he was transcendent. Most efficient QB to play ever at the time. Injuries and a later start hurt his longetivity.

He's had that Young/Staubach type of career where at his best there wasn't anyone better. Just other played at a high level longer or had better playoff rosters.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread proves to me that there are some absolute morons on this forum. I'm amazed some of them figured out how to actually join this forum and then post.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for a coach he "approves of" I don't see that happening. If Peyton Manning can't pick his coach, I don't see Rodgers doing that. And Mark Murphy has made it 100% clear that won't be the case.

I think that cap hit get's overrated. Next year the Packers are 8th in QB spending, 1 spot ahead of the Dolphins and about 5 million over the league average at the position. Meanwhile they are spending 13 million on players not on the team like Clinton Dix and Bennett. And in a couple years I doubt he will be the top paid QB as new guys get new deals.

The real benefit at QB is either getting lucky with a backup low cost guy blowing up (think Vikings with Case Keenum last year) or the rookie scale QB's (Eagles/Rams). It doesn't give you an out if you are awful with your FA's anymore. But if you have a crap GM making bad moves you likely aren't winning anyways.

As for the 1 SB.. Do you put that on the 2nd best offense in the post-season since Rodgers took over (ahead of all but the Saints). Or the defense that's been bottom 3 (with Det and Atl as only ones giving up over 26 a game and 6.1 yards per play, none of the teams doing that this year have a record over .500 vs. regular season opponents). Those other two bottom 3 defenses have team records of 4-9 in the post-season. GB is 9-7 with a SB ring. So if that doesn't change why is Rodgers 100% responsible for the awfulness when he's on the sideline?

So as for his legacy, he was able to go up against some of the greatest ever and outplay them. He clearly was in that elite grouping of Manning, Brady, and Brees, and at times the best of that group. He won MVP's and a SB MVP. He was so great a 21TD-1INT season has us saying "whats wrong with him".

A later start and injuries have held him back along with questionable coaching.

I think that kinda puts him in the same boat I remember Steve Young in. More physical talent than Marino, Elway, Montana, Moon, Kelly. When he was on the top of his game, he was transcendent. Most efficient QB to play ever at the time. Injuries and a later start hurt his longetivity.

He's had that Young/Staubach type of career where at his best there wasn't anyone better. Just other played at a high level longer or had better playoff rosters.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. If he wins a SB with the new HC - they can pin the past few years on MM and he'll be squarely in the GOAT conversation again. Which I think is currently on hold. Not over, just on hold.

If it's more of the same or only slightly better? Yeah, that's going to be a tough sell. He's still the greatest QB I have ever seen when he's "on".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd best offensive line (Per PFF) in the league. Jimmy Graham, Adams, Cobb.

Rodgers is immune to criticism in cheese country.

Yes, and he's thrown 21 TD's to 1 INT with a 100 QB Rating