• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A unified theory of the 2023 Giants

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so here we are starting the "second half", looking good not great, definitely in the playoff hunt just not locks.

In this day and age, can a team whose best aspect, of the 3 main categories (hitting, starting pitching, bullpen), is the bullpen be a legit playoff team? Everything in the new way of playing implies yes that might be possible.

Obviously they still need legit hitting and starters, they have to be good more often than not, but the pen is carrying this team....get it to 7 with a lead and almost always lights out.

Can a bullpen led team contend? Hope we find out

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so here we are starting the "second half", looking good not great, definitely in the playoff hunt just not locks.

In this day and age, can a team whose best aspect, of the 3 main categories (hitting, starting pitching, bullpen), is the bullpen be a legit playoff team? Everything in the new way of playing implies yes that might be possible.

Obviously they still need legit hitting and starters, they have to be good more often than not, but the pen is carrying this team....get it to 7 with a lead and almost always lights out.

Can a bullpen led team contend? Hope we find out
And ONE GUY can shore up both the hitting and starting pitching.

BRING ME SHOHEI.

I'd give up Matos AND Harrison for him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BRING ME SHOHEI.

For 2 months? And not sure that's enough to get him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do it for two reasons:

a. A shot to win it all in 23
b. Inside track to sign him moving forward
Those are definitely the reasons, just not sure it's worth it considering #2 feels very unlikely to me (Dodgers)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are definitely the reasons, just not sure it's worth it considering #2 feels very unlikely to me (Dodgers)
I agree, except that once Shohei gets here, I think (based on nothing but my gut and Cobb's comments) he resigns for 10 years.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, except that once Shohei gets here, I think (based on nothing but my gut and Cobb's comments) he resigns for 10 years.
You've always been a radical optimist outside of game day threads lol

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BRING ME SHOHEI.

I like Matos, but he doesn’t strike me as a game changer. I would include him in a trade if it helped, and I wouldn’t lose too much sleep. Of course, I always thought Reynolds was a tweener OF prospect who couldn’t hit enough for a corner and couldn’t field enough for center, so what do I know?

Harrison is looking to me like a high risk, boom/bust type. IF he can get his control, then he is an Ace. If he can’t, he will washout within 3 years. I will bow to the FO’s assessment of him.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Matos, but he doesn’t strike me as a game changer. I would include him in a trade if it helped, and I wouldn’t lose too much sleep. Of course, I always thought Reynolds was a tweener OF prospect who couldn’t hit enough for a corner and couldn’t field enough for center, so what do I know?

Harrison is looking to me like a high risk, boom/bust type. IF he can get his control, then he is an Ace. If he can’t, he will washout within 3 years. I will bow to the FO’s assessment of him.
I think Harrison could be a lights out bullpen guy if his control issues don't go away (think Brian Wilson in his prime).