• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A rule with which I disagree

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the sacrifice fly. Why is it the batter is given a sacrifice instead of an AB when he drives in the run from 3B with a fly ball? I ask this because a batter who hits a ground ball and drives in the run is credited with an AB. Why the different scoring for the fly ball, both AB's serve the same purpose? Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation or is just that's the way things are?

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the sacrifice fly. Why is it the batter is given a sacrifice instead of an AB when he drives in the run from 3B with a fly ball? I ask this because a batter who hits a ground ball and drives in the run is credited with an AB. Why the different scoring for the fly ball, both AB's serve the same purpose? Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation or is just that's the way things are?

it is a sacrifice because the only way the batter can get on base is by fielder error, otherwise he is out. The point of not counting the AB against the hitter is to avoid counting against him for a successful play.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that a ground ball to the right side of the infield that advances a runner from 2B to 3B with no outs not considered a sacrifice? The intent of the batter is to advance the runner by means of making an out. There is no option for the scorer to even consider giving the batter a sacrifice. I know, I know no sacrifice without he overt act of squaring to bunt, intentionally giving yourself up. However, batters who have productive AB's in advancing runners in scoring position with 0 or 1 out should be rewarded. Some category should be created to acknowledge productive AB's.

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
you make a valid point...there really is no difference between the 2 acts...cnsidering you can get a dac fly if a runner scores all the way from first on a pop up to right in theory...have seen sac flys where the runner scores from second before.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take it up with doubleday :happy:

but yeah they are the same......maybe they give the batter credit because they believe he is trying to hit to the OF so the run can score and when he hits a groundball they count it as messing up :think:

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
take it up with doubleday :happy:

but yeah they are the same......maybe they give the batter credit because they believe he is trying to hit to the OF so the run can score and when he hits a groundball they count it as messing up :think:

walks used to count as base hits....which in my opinion they ultimately are...i guess the point is its a pretty damn good game and theres not a whole lot of reasons to mess with it.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question and have never really heard an official answer, and there are probably a few reasons. Just my thought, Maybe something to do with fielding indifference. If the IF chose to play on the grass every time a player was on third would that run score as much? Are the fielders choosing to give the run up for an out?

On a fly ball it's assumed if it is hit deep enough to score a run, it really doesn't matter what the fielders wanted to do, they couldn't do anything to stop the run?

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question and have never really heard an official answer, and there are probably a few reasons. Just my thought, Maybe something to do with fielding indifference. If the IF chose to play on the grass every time a player was on third would that run score as much? Are the fielders choosing to give the run up for an out?

On a fly ball it's assumed if it is hit deep enough to score a run, it really doesn't matter what the fielders wanted to do, they couldn't do anything to stop the run?

Thanks,

That sounds like a reasonable explanation, it certainly makes sense.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are many rules i disagree with... How about if a relief pitcher comes into the game and there is a man on base, if any of the batters hit into a fielders choice and the inherited runner gets out, the new man on base is the responsibility of the new pitcher...

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good point. I think it is because the batter purposely flys out.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are many rules i disagree with... How about if a relief pitcher comes into the game and there is a man on base, if any of the batters hit into a fielders choice and the inherited runner gets out, the new man on base is the responsibility of the new pitcher...

Yeah! That earned run should go to the fielder!

Maybe this is why we don't really use ERA as a huge measuring stick for pitchers. It is what it is... Almost as bad as judging batters by their batting average....

:alien:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to actually agree with Bulldog. A batter who flies out which scores a runner from 3B should be charged with an AB. Only the batter knows what he is intending to try and do at the plate. He might have been trying to hit a HR or hit a line drive for all we know. It is a senseless rule.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to actually agree with Bulldog. A batter who flies out which scores a runner from 3B should be charged with an AB. Only the batter knows what he is intending to try and do at the plate. He might have been trying to hit a HR or hit a line drive for all we know. It is a senseless rule.

sorry silas, but your point is terrible... Nobody ever goes up and says let me hit the ball as far as possible but stay in the ball park so i can get a sac fly... they are all going for HRs... But that is also the thing, and why intention is irrelevant... I am not saying i like the sac fly rule, but it does make sense... If i am going to swing differently solely because someone is on base, then when i am successful i should not get punished for it...