• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Mac signs

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this a lot - there are people that don't but there's no NTC/NMC in the contract and they're getting him in his prime years, he can play 25 minutes a night and Kimmo's might be done after this season so they need to make sure they have a veteran like A-Mac

I can see this happening:
Kimmo retires, Luke Schenn gets traded and Ghost makes the team

Defense would look like this: A-Mac, Mark Streit, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann, Ghost and Gus

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this a lot - there are people that don't but there's no NTC/NMC in the contract and they're getting him in his prime years, he can play 25 minutes a night and Kimmo's might be done after this season so they need to make sure they have a veteran like A-Mac

I can see this happening:
Kimmo retires, Luke Schenn gets traded and Ghost makes the team

Defense would look like this: A-Mac, Mark Streit, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann, Ghost and Gus

I'm good with it, too.

As to your D, I think it's a bit too small. If Schenn gets traded, it would be because they thought Lauridsen was ready. If Timonen retires, I think it's a battle between Gus, Ghost and Hagg (or a FA) for that one spot. I don't see 2 of those guys cracking the top 6 at the start of the season.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with it, too.

As to your D, I think it's a bit too small. If Schenn gets traded, it would be because they thought Lauridsen was ready. If Timonen retires, I think it's a battle between Gus, Ghost and Hagg (or a FA) for that one spot. I don't see 2 of those guys cracking the top 6 at the start of the season.

They COULD bring Hal Gill back especially if he shows he still has something left, especially as a depth guy - there are depth guys you can find and if Ollie is ready than he has a shot as well

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm good with it.. not great with it, but macdonald has been their best dman since the trade, even over timonen and people that have been posting with me a while know how much i love timonen.

6 years.. a little longer than i'd like.. 5 mil.. a little more than i'd like.. but dmen make bank in free agency, so i'm not real surprised by it. he's a set it and forget it top 4 guy that's capable on both ends. good to have those types locked up.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with it, too.

i'd be floored if ghost, hagg, laruidsen, or morin on are on the team next year. i dont really think lauridsen will ever be a top 6 guy for the flyers. i think he's a serviceable 7 / 1st callup type player. ghost i think will spend a good amount of time with the phantoms next year, IF he goes pro. same for hagg. and morin i think will spend next season in juniors still.

key is not to rush these guys. they have a good group of prospects, lets not ruin them by bringing them in to a situation they're not ready for, and more importantly, that the fans aren't ready for. there will be bumps along the road, it's best to temper fan expectations

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"My conversations with Kimmo -- he doesn't know right now if he wants to play next year," Holmgren said. "Obviously, if he wants to play, we'd like to have him back."

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
key is not to rush these guys. they have a good group of prospects, lets not ruin them by bringing them in to a situation they're not ready for, and more importantly, that the fans aren't ready for. there will be bumps along the road, it's best to temper fan expectations

I agree, I just don't want to completely dismiss the possibility that one of these guys wows in camp and really IS ready.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont really think lauridsen will ever be a top 6 guy for the flyers. i think he's a serviceable 7 / 1st callup type player.

Well, you could very well be right, but I will point out that he was a plus player on a really bad Phantoms team this year. I think he has a shot to be a legit #6.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you could very well be right, but I will point out that he was a plus player on a really bad Phantoms team this year. I think he has a shot to be a legit #6.

i wasn't aware of that. that is impressive, because they were very bad.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I just don't want to completely dismiss the possibility that one of these guys wows in camp and really IS ready.

oh ya, dont get me wrong, really hoping that one of them is. that would be amazing and very exciting. i just don't want people to expect too much too fast. that's how we ruin players in philly :)

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats alot of money which ultimately could lead to a trade in the future or not resigning of Schenn unless they are creative & timmonen retires freeing up cap space.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with it he's only 27 and will most likely continue to get better with age as most dmen do. Its hard for flat out rookies to make an NHL team especially dmen so while it wouldn't shock me if one surprises I can't see more than that. I also believe that Lourd could easily play 5-6 in the NHL he has such long reach if he can put his game together that alone will take him places.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying this right now for the record. You don't trade L Schenn unless he's a needed part of the package to get a true two way #1 defense men because if not I swear that move will bite you in the ass just like JVR. The Flyers need to put him in a better position to play his game and not make up for a third pairing guy. He was awesome with Timonen and plays really well with AMac because they compliment each other. His confidence is up now and he's simplified his game down to do what he does well and isn't covering for mez's lack of defensive prowess or Gus just being useless in his own zone. Defense men take longer to develops and TOR screwed Schenns up some but not beyond repair. He need to play with AMac going forward they both need top 4 minutes & he needs to be a main stay on the pk where he actually plays insanely well if you watch him. He may never develop the offensive game done thought he would but I'm more worried about defenseman playing defense. Gus is not an nhl player now & never will be because he refuses to adapt to offset his size deficit, it's that simple.

If anyone is expendable it's grossman due to his lack of mobility and more then not ability to not even get a shot close to the net, he'll there's even a case to be made to nice streit if ghost was ready or the flyer were confident they could sign someone else (or trade from Franson & no I don't care if you like him, he's big, blocks shots, hits and has real good offensive upside and pp skills). Laudersin would be a good 6 playing with streit, he's like gross man but a better skater IMO and much nastier. Realistically we need to sign a pick mover to play with Coburn, my vote is niskanen but if we can't and timonen wants one more year at reduced pay to give ghost a year in the all I'm fine with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for AMAC. Not bad for a former 6th round pick who was only drafted because Ted Nolan coached him in junior & recommended him to the Isles after he became their head coach.

However, 6 years 30M is a bit much. Sorry, but you guys are paying 2 former Isles defenseman to much money for to many years.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for AMAC. Not bad for a former 6th round pick who was only drafted because Ted Nolan coached him in junior & recommended him to the Isles after he became their head coach.

However, 6 years 30M is a bit much. Sorry, but you guys are paying 2 former Isles defenseman to much money for to many years.

And yet the Isles are worse without Mark Streit and A-Mac - bet you would have liked to have them right about now!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet the Isles are worse without Mark Streit and A-Mac - bet you would have liked to have them right about now!

The Isles offered Streit 5M per year for one less year than the Flyers gave him. They offered A-Mac 4 years 16M. It's not like they didn't try to keep them. The Flyers obviously wanted them more. I'm quite comfortable with the future of the Isles D. Griffin Reinhart is going to be a STUD & he's not the only D prospect in the system, not even close.

I'm happy for Andrew. He made close to the league minimum for quite some time. He finally got his big payday. Good for him.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-Mac is only 27 the way some fans talk he's 37....he has plenty of good years left in him and I honestly believe that he'll get better over time as most dmen take time to mature.