• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few things - some good - some bad

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley Roby and Brandon Marshall have not had a great start. Roby - seems to be playing off - even when press coverage is called and Marshall may have lost too much weight to stave off blocks. These are two good players I expect them to recover and make contributions, but their absence as playmakers is noticeable.

Special Teams - quietly have become a team strength. Finally, one third of the football game has finally found a champion with the Broncos - in the new ST Coach. Against the Raiders - they blocked an extra point and then won on a last minute FG = where the difference was the blocked extra point.

D. Peko is a work of nature at his age - he seems to be playing at a peak. He spent the end of the Broncos win over the RAiders walking around the stadium high fiving fans leaning over the railing. I give VJ credit for bringing him aboard, but what a player he is. He makes a huge difference against the rush - and is one of the best in the league in snuffing out screen passes - not to mention he bends the pocket back when the QB holds the ball too long.

I understand VJ is involved in the defensive game plan and play calling. The Broncos had a very stupid Defensive scheme against the Raiders - which happens from time to time, but not correcting the obvious problem for an entire half - is ridiculous. D. Carr can't stand the pressure - no one in the league is capable for bringing more pressure than the Broncos, but the game plan was to lay off press coverage and Carr got to throw quick passes to open receivers - avoiding the rush. Why do I have to feel smarter than the Bronco's coaches?

If the Broncos want to run the offense through DT - they ought to warm him up with some easy passes first, but why bother - Manny Sanders is the hot hand and the one with the obvious connection the Case Keenum. Sanders is set to have his best season of his career - just throw him the damn ball (M. Sanders is on my fantasy roster - for full disclosure).

The Oline is immensely improved - average only giving up sack per game and blowing open holes at the LOS. This is perhaps the greatest asset the team will have when they start playing playoff caliber teams.

The Chiefs - let's see what happens when the league adjusts to Mahomes and if he can adjust back - we should see adjustments by the end of the first half of the season. He has to come down to the statistical mean sometime.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back a few seasons, the writing was on the wall for Talib's departure .. His salary/contract, age, etc, I knew it was inevitable .. and I dreaded it because A) I love him as a player and B) I knew Roby would be put in his spot ..

( OC, don;t hate me for this !! )

Roby is great as a 3rd CB .. He fit that role in the NFZ to a T .. But over the years, when called upon, you look at 3rd and long, or when a team needed a big play, they went at Roby - and if he didn;t get a flag, he gave up the catch ..

When we played in NO - the Justin Simmons game - a perfect example of Roby giving up the last minute, tying TD ... I don;t see him having a slow start, I just see him as a 3rd CB .. He is what he is, and I wouldn't hold my breath as far as him improving ..

Marshall,on the other hand, has taken a nosedive the first two games ... It may very well be the weights loss - I was surprised when I first read about him losing the weight, as I thought he was an excellent player where is was - why mess with a good thing ??

If the logic was losing weight would make him better in coverage, well' we haven't seen it ...

I think the situation w/Roc, errr, I mean Roby and BM's situation are very different ...

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be wise to get Sutton more playing time

Thomas' thing has been ongoing .. His Mom in jail, his weight loss, injuries, etc .. whatever ... We've got a guy in Lindsay who can take over a game - a 5'8" undrafted rookie whose fire spreads thru the entire offense ..

And Thomas is what - 6' 3" 240lbs ?? .. He should be eating CBs alive

Drops are part of the game .. What I cannot bear with Thomas is him shrinking into a non factor, the lack of energy he has and how he will limp off the field after something doesn;t go right and then be back as if nothing happened 30 seconds later - and there was one play down the sideline last Sunday in which it really looked as if he was looking at the ref for a flag before the football even hit the ground ...

The guy has a ****load of ability, size and he claims to feel great, but he doesn;t challenge smaller CBs, doesn;t fight for the ball and doesn;t inspire much in the way of momentum ...

One catch, 8 yards in that Super Bowl vs Carolina

And this from last Sunday .. note the time on the clock

Claude Raines playing CB for the Raiders really paid off

( that's a joke for all us old sods )

Demaryius_Drop.jpg

Last edited:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree maybe it’s time to minimize DT’s role. It’s painful to say this because he’s been extraordinary for the Broncos. I hope there is still something there. Maybe he’s just starting slow and will emerge as one of the more dominant receivers down the stretch. But for now there are guys that are hungry for a shot.

On Roby, the truth is we’ve been spoiled that CHJ is the less noticeable CB on our team. Not that he isn’t as good as Talib but his personality isn’t as combative as Talib so he doesn’t get noticed. He just quietly goes about being one of the best in the game. It’s rare that a team will have two cover corners as good as Harris and Talib. We are going to have some setbacks with Roby and whoever emerges as our #3. This is why I really hoped to see a more aggressive game plan up front, because I think Roby is good enough if he knows the pass rush is going to get home. We’ll see how that develops.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT will have a good game this week. Just relax.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its amusing sometimes in sports. If DT was a diva and dropping balls like dropping quarters in a slot machine like he has last few years fans would want him gone gone gone. DT being a cool guy etc this is all fine he'll get going don't think he's a waste of cap money. As big of a fan of DT as I am I think in 19 we should move on before huge drop off really hits.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how the rest of the year goes before I start calling DT's departure. If he plays like this the rest of the year then of course...

But does nobody see a pattern of history with DT?

He has been known to start off with some bad games then bounce back. It's all about how you finish not how you start. Last two years he had a cruddy QB situation. Jerry Rice in his prime wouldn't have put up good numbers in that situation.

Yall are on panic mode after two games. DT caught 6 passes in week 1... Last game was tough, he caught 5 dropped 2 or 3 but hardly had any yards off his short catches.

Some of the greatest WR's drop passes. If he catches 7-10 passes a game and drops 2 I can live with it. Terrell Owens and Brandon Marshall drop a ton of passes, but I would rather a guy drop passes and be productive and get open then a guy who catches everything, but only catches 2 passes a game because he struggles to get open.

I get it, he got a big contract. But we're 2-0 and it is two games. Relax and see what he does the rest of the way. He isn't going anywhere this year, so focus on now, and see where next year leads him after his production this year. If it's good, then cool, if not then we can talk.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I agree with Mingo's post on the good and bad.

Just not in panic mode on DT right now after just 2 games. I think Mingo probably feels the same way.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how the rest of the year goes before I start calling DT's departure. If he plays like this the rest of the year then of course...

He has been known to start off with some bad games then bounce back. It's all about how you finish not how you start. Last two years he had a cruddy QB situation. Jerry Rice in his prime wouldn't have put up good numbers in that situation.

Yall are on panic mode after two games. DT caught 6 passes in week 1... Last game was tough, he caught 5 dropped 2 or 3 but hardly had any yards off his short catches.

Some of the greatest WR's drop passes. If he catches 7-10 passes a game and drops 2 I can live with it. Terrell Owens and Brandon Marshall drop a ton of passes, but I would rather a guy drop passes and be productive and get open then a guy who catches everything, but only catches 2 passes a game because he struggles to get open.

I get it, he got a big contract. But we're 2-0 and it is two games. Relax and see what he does the rest of the way. He isn't going anywhere this year, so focus on now, and see where next year leads him after his production this year. If it's good, then cool, if not then we can talk.

Totally fair solid post DC

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely not ready to give up on DT after two games. He is still a weapon if he can get the drops under control and the more weapons we have the easier things are to spread teams out and destroy them.

Also I'm guessing that while yes the game plan was not perfect on defense this last week (still only gave up 19 points though) it does seem like something they have learned from. Vance has been adamant that they gave the Raiders too much respect and have to be more aggressive on defense. So I'm guessing we will see some different things in play as the season progresses. Have to remember the Broncos are still trying to figure out what they can do on defense. The last few years were pretty easy of put Harris, Talib, and Roby all in man coverage. Well that 3rd CB spot is a huge question mark and Stewart/Marshall have both fallen off in what they do on the field. So still some adjustments needing to take place.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is fair but also remember that it's your opinion. Over the years, DT has had more drops than your average, top tier receiver. I can't blame fans for getting frustrated with this issue. I don't have the stats to back up my claim but as a viewer of every Broncos game, every week.....the eye test is telling us that he drops more than most.

I love DT and what he's brought to this team but he needs to be accountable for his own play, just like everyone else. Due to him having a history of dropped passes, it's more painful to see him doing it again this year. I know it's only been two games but his drops came at big time moments that arguably would have not made our first two games nearly as close as they turned out.

I hope it's just the start of the season rust and DT returns to form as a productive member of the Broncos!

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok ... as I said, drops are a part of the game - it's not the drops that bug me

Heck, Jordan Norwood was one of my favorites Broncos, and he dropped a lot of balls .. but it was his chutzpah that I loved ..

Demaryius has no chutzpah

A smaller CB can throw him off his game, and when things don;t go well - even for a play or two - instead of getting fired up and using his talent to take back what is his, he crawls into a shell, limps off the field or just disappears for the rest of the game ..

I was happy to see him rebound in the first game after having a dreadful opening series ... but if you are going to be a WR1 in this league and be at the top of the salary chart on your team, you better show some fire or balls or at least something in the way of leadership, especially when things don;t go well for you ..

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as DT goes.....I think he's just not used to a ball being where it should be . :) On a more serious note regarding DC , if you want to take him off his game, hit him hard early. He never seems to recover very well after a hard hit. Personally, I think he's a tad on the soft side.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was happy to see him rebound in the first game after having a dreadful opening series ... but if you are going to be a WR1 in this league and be at the top of the salary chart on your team, you better show some fire or balls or at least something in the way of leadership, especially when things don;t go well for you ..

I believe there is a clip somewhere of DT firing up the troops on the sideline last week. I will try to find it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams play makes a big difference p- McMahon is a great ST coach - large improvement for the Broncos overall to have good special teams.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special Teams has come a long ways since LGM's pal Brock Olivio left.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams play makes a big difference p- McMahon is a great ST coach - large improvement for the Broncos overall to have good special teams.
All three phrases contributed
Block xtra point was huge
2 4th down stops by the defense
And the offense scoring the last 13 to win

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are inconsistent at this time. They are bad and good all in the same game. If the team as a whole can play up to their ability then this could be a very good team that no one wants to play with their season on the line. That being said if they continue up and down play it will cost them games that they should/need to win.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like teams that play their best at the end of the season - I'd be more worried if I was a Chiefs fan.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 5 is when season really starts. I expect 3-1 at worst for us. Looking forward to KC game.