• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Fan - What is it?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok - we have a day to think about things before we return to the WS. I've been thinking about this forever and thought I bring it here. I'm 64 years old. I've been a Giant fan for at least 56 of these years. I remember the 1954 Giants. So that's my time line. What have I learned in 56 damn years? Nothing!
There seems to be different levels of fans. You have anything from the die-hard version to the casual fan. I think what separtaes us is the level of emotional committment that we give. The thing is I don't know how this process of committment happens. I would be willing to bet that the core 'posters' of any sports message board are of the die-hard variety. Not many either. Look here, ESPN or Runboard. Maybe 20 core posters on each board. What fuels these posters. I'll use myself as an example. I'm sure most of you fall into the same catagory. In that past 10 years I can not remember a time that I did not know if the Giants won or lost within the past 24 hours. Living on the eastcoast (forever) I will wake up in the morning and immediately check ESPN if I don't know the score. If someone asks me how the "Giants did" I will have the answer. I actually feel disappointed and angry when they lose. I feel happy and elated when they win. I don't understand why. Other than emotional committment I have nothing else involved here The levels of emotion are also tied to the circumstances. In postseason play the levels are high. If we were 20 games out I would still have the same emotions but at a lower level. I would still check scores daily. I would still visit all of the message boards. I would still talk Giant baseball

I think all of us on these boards fit this description to some extent. The question is why??? Why can't we be like the casual fan that just follows the team whenever something reminds them to. Why do they not have the same level of committment that we do?

What is the common characteristic that defines a FILO, GP, SFANTHEM, TTPM, NATE, COLIN, MSG SF, and everyone else that frequents this board.

Then there is the other side of this. What drives a Nolan, Tito, SD_Envy. They have emotional committment as well but it is not driven by their investment in the Giants. What actually drives these individuals.

Thoughts

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even among those here (your list above) there's varying levels of commitment. Before I got married I was far more invested in my teams, gave much more of a crap about it, watched more games, went to more games, etc.

Once the kids showed up sports dropped way down the list. It's quaint even, to me, when I look back on how I used to get so mad or elated, and now I'm pretty philosophical about it. We're all super excited about the Giants this year at my house, and my 5 year old is starting to actually get into it which is so fun to see, we all had a blast watching the game and cheering last night.

But Sunday I'm going trick or treating and won't even think twice about not watching game 4. I'll check my phone of course every minute...I imagine the other dads will all be doing the same.

On this board what we have in common is we like/love the Giants, we have some knowledge of baseball and the humility to know we don't know it all, we like the specific pleasures and fun of a message board environment (humor mainly). We're grownups rooting for a team. It's a fun crowd.

As far as the 'dark side' posters like Nolan, Tito, SD Envy, etc. even they are all different. Nolan seems like an actual fan, just a pantshatty one who also gets off on trolling the internet for attention. He's just a dick. But he's a fan.

SD Envy is also a dick and a troll, but clearly a sports fan for his teams.

Tito is nuts. Really, nuts. No matter how you look at Tito, he's crazy. If the way he posts is how he actually IS, he's nuts, and if he's playing a character, for this long, for this many posts, he's nuts.

I don't know what drives trolls, honestly. Who does that? Immature mopes, of all ages I guess. I'm glad they're there, more opportunities for humor pwning them.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok - we have a day to think about things before we return to the WS. I've been thinking about this forever and thought I bring it here. I'm 64 years old. I've been a Giant fan for at least 56 of these years. I remember the 1954 Giants. So that's my time line. What have I learned in 56 damn years? Nothing!
There seems to be different levels of fans. You have anything from the die-hard version to the casual fan. I think what separtaes us is the level of emotional committment that we give. The thing is I don't know how this process of committment happens. I would be willing to bet that the core 'posters' of any sports message board are of the die-hard variety. Not many either. Look here, ESPN or Runboard. Maybe 20 core posters on each board. What fuels these posters. I'll use myself as an example. I'm sure most of you fall into the same catagory. In that past 10 years I can not remember a time that I did not know if the Giants won or lost within the past 24 hours. Living on the eastcoast (forever) I will wake up in the morning and immediately check ESPN if I don't know the score. If someone asks me how the "Giants did" I will have the answer. I actually feel disappointed and angry when they lose. I feel happy and elated when they win. I don't understand why. Other than emotional committment I have nothing else involved here The levels of emotion are also tied to the circumstances. In postseason play the levels are high. If we were 20 games out I would still have the same emotions but at a lower level. I would still check scores daily. I would still visit all of the message boards. I would still talk Giant baseball

I think all of us on these boards fit this description to some extent. The question is why??? Why can't we be like the casual fan that just follows the team whenever something reminds them to. Why do they not have the same level of committment that we do?

What is the common characteristic that defines a FILO, GP, SFANTHEM, TTPM, NATE, COLIN, MSG SF, and everyone else that frequents this board.

Then there is the other side of this. What drives a Nolan, Tito, SD_Envy. They have emotional committment as well but it is not driven by their investment in the Giants. What actually drives these individuals.

Thoughts

The easy answer is, I don't know. It's also probably the accurate answer, lol.

I really don't know why I care so much. I really don't. Sometimes, I feel it's unhealthy. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my family and friends WAYYYYY more than the Giants. That said, I get really upset when they lose and I get really happy when they win. I wish sometimes I could be more "casual" about it but I can't. That's why Colin, Cal, gp, tzill, Laguna (not here unfortunately), Sabo, iHATEdodgers, Stokes, Anthessy (I apologize to others I've forgotten) and I typed on a stupid message board for the last (7+ years for me anyway) few years when the Giants were 20 games back and terrible (and muttering about how quick Alou's hook was with the bullpen, lol). It's also why you and Freeport have lurked/posted there for all those years. Thank God you guys finally started posting more. I don't know what took you bastards so long to post ;-)~! Maybe it's an escape for 3 hours from the stresses of our days, maybe it's a connection with a father or grandfather who showed us the game, a profound love of the game and link to our childhood from playing the game, or maybe it's just a weird compulsion in our behavior that was preconditioned inside of us.....who knows.

You asked a damn good question SF11. (by the way SF11, we need a better nickname for you, I always feel bad typing out your entire nic, lol.....so if you have any good nicknames, let us know).

As for the Abyss and Nolan, I don't even want to know. Good riddance.

EDIT: Damnit, Robo, I forgot Robo, he's been on the main board for awhile too. It's also good that we've had good newcomers (to the Giants board, not fandom in general) in Nate and msg and I think Heath, but i"m not sure how long he's been around, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tito is nuts. Really, nuts. No matter how you look at Tito, he's crazy. If the way he posts is how he actually IS, he's nuts, and if he's playing a character, for this long, for this many posts, he's nuts.

lol, truer words were never spoken.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point I forgot to make, sports are the modern outlet for tribalism that we all have from the caveman days. Your team (and their fans) is your tribe, and the games are ritual combat that used to be actual tribal violence. So it does connect to something deep in our lizard brains. And it's one reason why men are far more into it than women generally.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it goes back to being a 5 year old and going to the 'stick with my Zedi and him telling me about Willy Mays and the Polo Grounds and The Shot Heard Round The World. I always wanted MY historic moment where I was at the game and could be able to tell my grandson. Maybe if the Series comes back to SF and we win game 6 I'll get that moment. Maybe not. Either way, it's in my DNA and my wife (Canadian) doesn't understand it but understands that it's really, really important to me. It connects me with Giants fans here and in NY for the last 130 years. In a small way, it's the same feeling I get on High Holidays when we sing the same prayers that were sung 2000 years ago in Jerusalem. I feel connected.

As for pantshatters like Nolan and Prince and Livin'....they're part of the spectrum of fans. Nolan is that shitty voice in my head in game 1 when we got down 2-0; the Badluck Schleprock "we're doomed" voice. I hate that voice so I hate Nolan. I accept that they are fans, but I don't accept the way they choose to express their fandom -- it's just selfish.

Tito is crazy. He's a lonely dude who likely receives no attention at all in real life (think the stapler guy in Office Space) and lives, as it were, for the message boards where people will at least interact with him. I don't hate Tito in the same way that you can't hate that an autistic kid won't respond. Dude's helpless.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point I forgot to make, sports are the modern outlet for tribalism that we all have from the caveman days. Your team (and their fans) is your tribe, and the games are ritual combat that used to be actual tribal violence. So it does connect to something deep in our lizard brains. And it's one reason why men are far more into it than women generally.

Probably more accurate than most would think. Anyone that has ever played any organized sport realizes at some point that the team is 'family' or 'tribe'. They both fit. There is a kinship that you develop with other team members.
This is similar. At least for me. The tribe or family becomes the 'board' the shared belief of the tribe is the Giants. As for MSG's responses they were also 'on spot'. When I was younger (much younger) family always came first but I would always follow up on my Giants when I had the time. Now that my kids are older and are scattered to various college campuses or married with their own families I have more time to devote to this tribe. I just have never understood what it is about the relationship between a fan and their team that sustains this emotional connection.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it goes back to being a 5 year old and going to the 'stick with my Zedi and him telling me about Willy Mays and the Polo Grounds and The Shot Heard Round The World. I always wanted MY historic moment where I was at the game and could be able to tell my grandson. Maybe if the Series comes back to SF and we win game 6 I'll get that moment. Maybe not. Either way, it's in my DNA and my wife (Canadian) doesn't understand it but understands that it's really, really important to me. It connects me with Giants fans here and in NY for the last 130 years. In a small way, it's the same feeling I get on High Holidays when we sing the same prayers that were sung 2000 years ago in Jerusalem. I feel connected.

As for pantshatters like Nolan and Prince and Livin'....they're part of the spectrum of fans. Nolan is that shitty voice in my head in game 1 when we got down 2-0; the Badluck Schleprock "we're doomed" voice. I hate that voice so I hate Nolan. I accept that they are fans, but I don't accept the way they choose to express their fandom -- it's just selfish.

Tito is crazy. He's a lonely dude who likely receives no attention at all in real life (think the stapler guy in Office Space) and lives, as it were, for the message boards where people will at least interact with him. I don't hate Tito in the same way that you can't hate that an autistic kid won't respond. Dude's helpless.

This, and this.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's in my DNA and my wife (Canadian) doesn't understand it but understands that it's really, really important to me.

That's EXACTLY it. The only question left unanswered is .... Why is it really important to me? I really don't know ...... IT JUST IS!

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's EXACTLY it. The only question left unanswered is .... Why is it really important to me? I really don't know ...... IT JUST IS!

Lizard brain...tribalism...belonging. It's all good. Healthy outlet for those things we all have buried inside.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Because sports are awesome. They are a microcosm of life with less harsh consequences. Baseball, specifically, is an enthralling combination of intelligence, preparation and physical ability. I don't understand people that don't love baseball. Everything that has been said is true in every way. The Giants are really important to us because of the connection to our fathers and grandfathers, the need for a tribe, the pleasure of childhood memories and a love of sport. Sometimes the simplest answer can be the most revealing: We love baseball, and sometimes baseball loves us back.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Because sports are awesome. They are a microcosm of life with less harsh consequences. Baseball, specifically, is an enthralling combination of intelligence, preparation and physical ability. I don't understand people that don't love baseball. Everything that has been said is true in every way. The Giants are really important to us because of the connection to our fathers and grandfathers, the need for a tribe, the pleasure of childhood memories and a love of sport. Sometimes the simplest answer can be the most revealing: We love baseball, and sometimes baseball loves us back.

Yeah, once every 56 years or so....

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It goes beyond just sports in general. Freeport22 and myself are a little different than the typical SF fan. We live in NY. The Giants are a non-entity in our neck of the woods. There is absolutley no news coverage that talks to OUR team. In the northeast the WS is almost a dead topic these days. More people are looking at hockey rather than baseball. I think that Freeport22 and myself use these boards as our link into the SF tribe. It's the only link available to us. Living in NY means I don't usually see any Giant games other than national TV or when they are playing the Mets. Sometimes I'll watch the Mets just because they are on. I really dion't care if they win or lose. I have no emotional investment in that team at all. Then I'll go on to ESPN or MLB and follow the Giant game later that day or night. If they win, I'm happy and elated. If they lose I'm disappointed and some times angry. It's not baseball or sports that's evoking that response. It's a damn team that's playing 3000 miles away from where I live! AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's nostalgia mostly. I grew up watching the games with my dad, and we watched Will Clark and Robby Thompson and Matt Williams and Roger Craig and I loved those days and I loved being a kid. So really that's howit started and it continued with me playing baseball, and going to the 89 WS with my dad and how can you not be a fan with all of that?

Now that's why I'm a fan, as for why I'm not just a casual fan, well it has alot to do with what I wrote above, I'd feel like I was turning my back on my 5-year old self and my dad. Plus why do something if you don't go full out? The highs are much greater then and the lows are much deeper (I'm lookin at you 2002 you bastard) - but it's worth it, and hopefully it's about to really be worth it.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's nostalgia mostly. I grew up watching the games with my dad, and we watched Will Clark and Robby Thompson and Matt Williams and Roger Craig and I loved those days and I loved being a kid. So really that's howit started and it continued with me playing baseball, and going to the 89 WS with my dad and how can you not be a fan with all of that?

Now that's why I'm a fan, as for why I'm not just a casual fan, well it has alot to do with what I wrote above, I'd feel like I was turning my back on my 5-year old self and my dad. Plus why do something if you don't go full out? The highs are much greater then and the lows are much deeper (I'm lookin at you 2002 you bastard) - but it's worth it, and hopefully it's about to really be worth it.

This. This is why I know this series is far from over.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. This is why I know this series is far from over.

We are on the same page. Nothing is in the bank, I won't be convinced until the final out of the 4th win - if it gets to that.

Until then (and come what may) GO GIANTS BABY!!! WOOT!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.